• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? Unknown
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 600 litre pond, running for approx 6-7 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Have a big canister packed with sponge/ceremic media/bioballs with a pump that does 5000LPH
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every Week (Sometimes every 2 weeks depending on test results) between 40-90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago - 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Approx 11...Most between 2-4CM Total Length (Comets) The other four are between 20-180grams. (the Pond will be getting upgraded)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A Pellets every 1-2 days..they constantly forage on Algae, Azolla and Frogbit
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. A year ago he had a fin problem...his fins were tearing and was constantly getting a coating of white fuzzy looking stuff. Medications didn't help but a series of salt baths did.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red angry looking sores
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Behavior is normal

Pictures coming in next post, computer is been a bit stubborn

Edited by FishyMandy

Is there another sore forming near the base of the tail on the left (right side) or is that a shadow?

I am going to suggest .1% salt for now.

• Supporter

Also...I read the ammonia test I posted here 5-10 mins after doing it...it was yellow then...now it is green..at 0.5 on the chart. Does that mean there actually is ammonia?!

Okay I grabbed a thermometer off my tank is 22c

I'm retesting the ammonia too

Okay Its reading 0 now, 5+ minutes after testing

Edited by FishyMandy

API  test?  I've never seen one change even if I forgot to dump it and let it sit overnight.  I don't see how you can have ammonia with all those water changes unless your filter has a real problem.  Doe sit have a good flow?

Since you have done salt dips before, I would do them again.  

• Supporter

Yup..API Test. This is the first time I've ever seen one change and I've quite often left them out overnight. Filter is still flowing well.  Second test is still yellow now so maybe I did something wrong :S

I'll do a salt dip :) What was the salt concentration again?

Edited by FishyMandy

I don't have salt in the QT when doing salt dips, just clean water.

When (if ever) did you last treat for flukes?  Bacteria can produce ulcers if they can settle into a break in the skin.  The skin can be broken by injury or by parasites.

• Supporter

I actually haven't cleaned it in...a long while to be honest. I've only ever used the thing on the filter that flushes it out.

Done the salt dip, he started tipping at around 1 minute but continued being able to right himself for the whole 5 minutes. He was breathing heavily the whole time. 

How often do you flush it?  Bacterial ulcers usually occur in dirty water which grows the opportunistic pathogens which can infect the fish.  Your water change schedule suggests clean water, so I am looking for any situation that might support a population of  problem bacteria.

You indicated previous problems with this fish.  He may have a weak immune system.

• Supporter

I honestly can't remember the last time I flushed it *_* So seems that would be the likely source! I will give it a good clean this weekend.

Yup he has had several problems before, when I first got him he ended up in QT for 8 weeks and it was a few months after that when he got the problems mentioned in my first post. I've only had him just over a year

I think the instructions with that filter tell you to flush weekly.  Some people recommend daily flushes for pressure filters.  Try flushing daily until the waste water comes out clear. Can you link me to this filter on line?

• Supporter

Amanda, i am leaning towards Metronidazole and Tri-Sulfa. i have some left, i will send it to you express post tomorrow. so start using what stock you have and on Monday, my package should arrive.

• Supporter

I think the instructions with that filter tell you to flush weekly.  Some people recommend daily flushes for pressure filters.  Try flushing daily until the waste water comes out clear. Can you link me to this filter on line?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Protege-External-Aquarium-Filter-Canister-Fish-Tank-Pond-Water-Bio-Sponge-UV-C-/130849553041?hash=item1e773dba91:g:SRkAAOSwAYtWOpoy

That is it

Amanda, i am leaning towards Metronidazole and Tri-Sulfa. i have some left, i will send it to you express post tomorrow. so start using what stock you have and on Monday, my package should arrive.

Thanks a bunch Helen xxxxxx