75 gallon! (Questions)

fup10k

:nana I finally was able to get a 75 gallon tank to upgrade to! :nana

I'm super excited lol. It's huuuuuuge compared to my tiny, tiny 29g! 

I was thinking about a 55 for forever.... but I knew I would want an upgrade in the future anyway so, I bit the bullet and was able to snag one at my LFS for $160 (WAY cheaper than the petsmart near me)

The boyfriend was also able to get a super cheap stand that was on clearance at petco for only $100, and it's MUCH higher quality than the stand that comes in the marineland combo that petsmart sells too (win-win!)

So I'm here with a question... 

I'm debating between these two Sunsun canister filters:  370GPH and 525GPH 

The price difference (with the kits) for both is only ~$20, but I know that canister filters are 5-7x filtration, so do I really need the 525gph? 

I mean...in the end... it's the boyfriend buying it for me  :wub:  So I don't want to be too greedy and jump for the 525gph just because I want it, if it's not necessary.

Also, a slightly unrelated question: ...how long does it usually take you guys to do water changes on your 75?  :stars  I didn't think of the extra work that's involved in keeping a bigger tank before I got it lol.

Are you going to run any other filter along with the SunSun?  I would . . . 

It takes me about an hour to do a WC on my 75 but I'm kinda anal.  :peeka

And I love the size of hte 75 vs the 55.  The extra depth front to back is sooo nice when decorating.  :D

Congrats!  :nana

Are you going to run any other filter along with the SunSun?  I would . . . 

I really wasn't planning to, I wanted to keep the aquaclear with the 29g since bf's planning to use it for a tropical tank anyway after the goldies are situated in their new tank. 

Do you think the 525 wouldn't be enough filtration for them or something? 

And thanks :) I'm excited to have a big tank, now they have tons of room. 

I like that it takes me a while to clean my tank (125 gallons, and it takes me about an hour or so). I know there's no rush, so I can take my time. Or I can just sit there. When I had my 55 it drained and filled so fast, so the entire time I was :krazy: So, think of the extra time as a good thing. Cuz if you don't, then it won't be any fun. :rofl 

I would also run another small filter on there. :peeka

Congrats! Pics when you set up. :nana

I see  :P Well I've been very lucky that I haven't had a filter quit on me yet these 2 1/2 years (One made a horrible noise.... but it didn't quit!) so I wasn't even thinking of that. 

I really don't want to bother with having another HOB filter... do you think this mini-canister filter from sunsun would be good enough as additional/backup? (And could I use it with the 370? Or should I go with the 525 anyway?)

Edited by fup10k

• Helper

Congrats on the new tank! I have a 150g and it takes hours to drain lol...i think i need a bigger pump though

I'd go with two filters as well...I like having one at each end of the tank and is good for backup if one does decide to kick it

I like to run 2 filters so if one breaks or somehow gets turned off or whatever you have one still running . . . .

:bingo:

Congratulations on your new tank! :) My goldies are in a 75, & it's a really nice size. It takes me about an hour to do water changes, but my weekly change is 90-95% (just above the dorsals), & I don't like to refill too fast. My Python also isn't hooked to the faucet to drain, I just get it started by shaking the siphon end & then letting it drain into the garden. I spend some of the time it's draining doing housekeeping on the filters (my backup is an ATI hydro sponge 5Pro with a SunSun powerhead on it), scrubbing diatoms off plant leaves, wiping down the glass lids, etc.

I'm glad everyone's excited to see it  :happydance I'm so excited to set it up later this week!!! 
I went ahead with the 525 and the mini canister. Stephen was like "Brianna, we've already spent over $300 and you're worrying about a $20 difference? Get the bigger one"  :nana

I'm not too excited about the 1hour water change time...buuut.... I guess I can keep up with algae growth this time around lol.

Congrats on the new tank!!

Like others here have suggested.. I'd run another filter along withthe 525 GPh canister filter you got.. So if one breaks down still you got a back up..

Good luck with the WC's.. And pictures in the future. :)