Sign in to follow this  
LiquidOxygen

Two sick Goldies

Hi All! 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) -0-
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) -0-
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) -0-
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) Haven't checked yet.
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API liquid test
      • * Water temperature? 72, Heater isn't raising the temp. I'll buy a new one. Could use some input on that.
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Upgraded to 90 gallon, 1 1/2 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland Emperor 400 Bio-wheel, Wet/Dry Sump, While acclimating

• * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 30%, Daily bottom cleaning.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 10 gallons. Today 40% water change with 1 tsp. of Aquarium Salt per gallon,
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 Goldies, Body Size 3-4 inches 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? New Life Spectrum, Saki-Hikari, both sinking pellets. Repashy Gel food, Brine Shrimp, Peas.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? 1 tsps. aquarium salt per gallon, Yesterday with 10 gallon water change. Today 40 gallons.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Treated for Ich and Fluke in their old tank 3 months ago.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Raised scales, White indented bumps on tail fins. One fish with White raised spot on face. 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Telescope bottom sitting. All Gulping once added the new salt today. 

Here are today's pictures : http://s935.photobucket.com/user/slbradley04/library/?sort=3&page=1

I'm thinking I have a second case of ich in my tank. However, this may be something new. My Telescope Eye (Sunshine) is hanging out at the at the bottom of the tank. (Until water change today) When he sees me, he swims straight towards me. Sometimes he will swim about and then lay back down. I'll keep an eye on him. Everyone one in the tank has a great appetite.

My Blackmoor had Swim bladder as of yesterday. He/She is swimming great today. I had been feeding peas to the whole tank. Fed gel food yesterday. Big mistake. 

I took out my Telescope and Blackmoor placed in hospital tank. I removed 40 gallons of water. I feed the other three fish. Brine Shrimp and a few pellets a piece. Then I added the salted water. I feed a small amount of Brine Shrimp to the two in hospital tank. After adding back the fresh water will salt. I then added some of the fish tank water to the hospital tank. Waited, then put the Blackmoor back in to the main tank. Then I feed the Telescope a few pellets before placing him back in to main tank.

I began treating for Ich. If this looks like anything else please let me know. I am willing to change treatment plan. I just want my Goldies healthy. 

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm not feeling well. I have Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Bacterial Infection). Caught from friends visiting from out of town. I've been taking Antibiotics. I'm very careful with hand washing before and after caring for my fish. I'm weak and light headed. So, this has been hard on me.

Sorry you and your Goldfish aren't feeling well. Someone will be along to help you.

Edited by DawnMichele

Hi Dawn, I posted a photobucket link.

Hi Dawn, I posted a photobucket link.

IM so sorry. I missed that.

Did the Marineland Emperor 400 Bio-wheel come from a previous cycled tank?  This provides less than half of the recommended GPH for your tank.   Please read (or re-read) our guidelines.  You have a fully stocked tank and thus should be changing at least 50% weekly.  I don't know how much water you remove when you do your daily vacuum,  but this can also count as water change.  What do you have for substrate?

I suspect your fish have problems with the water quality.  I don't see ich in the pictures, but it might be visible in a sharper picture.  

I know, being sick,  you don't want to hear about increasing your water changes and doubling the amount of filtration, but I think that is your best first step.

I agree with Sharon - I believe this is a relatively easy fix. Bigger water changes (50% twice weekly is a great start, or a 90% once weekly if your fish tolerate bigger swings) and double or even triple the filtration will help so much. And as counterintuitive as it seems, some goldies really love a nice vigorous current in parts of the tank. It can really perk them up!

Please do a big water change and then another big one two days later, and lets see if that alone solves the issue. Don't worry about the heater, 72 degrees is just fine for goldies who aren't being treated for parasites :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks for your response!

I have the Marineland 400 running that came from the old tank. (to seed the Sump). I clean the filter pads with tank water weekly. I use it with the ESHOPP's WD-150-CS Wet Dry Filter Sump. I added extra media to the sump. It has a 800 gph. My daily vacuums are about 2-5 gallons worth. My substrate is Tahitian Moon Sand. 

My Fantail/Ryunkin (Happy) has clearly got a white raised patch or bump. That's my biggest worry. I just noticed it this morning. I tried many times to take a better picture of the fella. He's just a fast mover and doesn't like his picture taken. I can try and take him out tomorrow for a better picture. It's just he won't stay still for me. Holding him is even worse. My Telescope (Sunshine) has multiple dimples on his fantail. So I had no idea if that was normal. Plus, since last night until this afternoon bottom sitting got concerned. Can ya'll take a look at the pictures of Happy. He clearly has something?

Should I make the large water change tomorrow without the salt? I sure hope that's it. I have a Python so the large water change is a snap. I thought I was changing enough. I'll step it up. I bought a canister filter to use along with my sump this last weekend. So the Emperor 400 will soon be removed. 

Things have been going so smoothly with my babies. This has all happened within the past couple of days. Thank you, thank you for help! 

Thanks for your response!

I have the Marineland 400 running that came from the old tank. (to seed the Sump). I clean the filter pads with tank water weekly. I use it with the ESHOPP's WD-150-CS Wet Dry Filter Sump. I added extra media to the sump. It has a 800 gph. My daily vacuums are about 2-5 gallons worth. My substrate is Tahitian Moon Sand. 

My Fantail/Ryunkin (Happy) has clearly got a white raised patch or bump. That's my biggest worry. I just noticed it this morning. I tried many times to take a better picture of the fella. He's just a fast mover and doesn't like his picture taken. I can try and take him out tomorrow for a better picture. It's just he won't stay still for me. Holding him is even worse. My Telescope (Sunshine) has multiple dimples on his fantail. So I had no idea if that was normal. Plus, since last night until this afternoon bottom sitting got concerned. Can ya'll take a look at the pictures of Happy. He clearly has something?

Should I make the large water change tomorrow without the salt? I sure hope that's it. I have a Python so the large water change is a snap. I thought I was changing enough. I'll step it up. I bought a canister filter to use along with my sump this last weekend. So the Emperor 400 will soon be removed. 

Things have been going so smoothly with my babies. This has all happened within the past couple of days. Thank you, thank you for help! 

My fish are wrigglers too, but you might consider putting Happy in a small, clear glass container (and I mean small--it will be unpleasant for him but will control how much he can run) and take some macro shots, if you have a camera that will do that, under reasonably bright lights. Then you can upload them to Photobucket--there are directions somewhere on Koko's as how to do that if you are unfamiliar.

Thanks QandD for your advice on taking some good pictures of Happy. I'll get my husband to take some pictures, while I keep him in the bowl. 

I was unable to successfully take a better picture of Happy. The spot on Happy seems to have improved. I did a large 90% water change yesterday. Their behavior is normal. Except Sunshine slept on the tank bottom last night. Sunshine (telescope eye) has what looks like several raised indentions on it's tail. You can see them in the picture uploaded on photobuckt. After feeding they suck/skim at the top of the tank for any particles left behind from the soaked pellets or gel food, for hours sometimes. Other than that all seems well. 

Thanks everyone for your much appreciated advice!

Sunshine is still bottom sitting. This is not usual behavior during the day. He is always the one fish in the tank forging all day. It still has the dimples on the tail. I did the 90% water change. When I stand next to the tank he will swim around a little bit and then drift back down. Sunshine has been eating. His appearance hasn't changed since I posted the last pictures. 

I just feed everyone peas. I know midnight could use them. 

I made a divider with egg crate that I place in the tank during feeding so everyone gets their fair share. I feed then over the weekend Cucumbers, Brine shrimp and Sinking pellets. 

I just read the post from QandD about her Duchess and bottom sitting. Should I take the same advice and give the main tank a Prazipro and Metroplex treatment. Since I've had them they have never had perfect fins. But, those pimples/dimples are new. I gave them a Prazi treatment back in August. 

I've reported this to the mod team. Hang in there!

I just read the post from QandD about her Duchess and bottom sitting. Should I take the same advice and give the main tank a Prazipro and Metroplex treatment. Since I've had them they have never had perfect fins. But, those pimples/dimples are new. I gave them a Prazi treatment back in August. 

Where is this post?  All I found for treatment of Duchess was clean water.  I must have missed something.

No, we don't usually recommend treatment for bottom sitting without ongoing or deeper issues. I reiterate that pristine water, good current, and way over filtering are your best bets :)

That is my personal opinion, but generally speaking as a mod and helper team we don't recommend treatment for minor symptoms. As an example, I myself just had a freak tank incident involving my pH and some fin damage. I did nothing but fix the water parameters. The fins are already showing healing just a day out. Medication isn't benign and all we want to do is help the fish heal itself. In the case of minor symptoms and surface issues the best we can do is rectify the underlying issues and then keep the stress as low as possible from ALL factors, including medication, to give the fish its best chance to heal itself.

Edited by Arctic Mama

can we get video of the fish you have concerns for? don't be afraid to zoom in and talk us through what you're seeing. just make sure that the tank is well lit and that the footage is not blurry.

i can't see any ich. and if it's surface parasites, the most common (unlike ich, anchor worms, lice) cannot be seen without a microscope. however, a video of their behaviour will help us to gain a better understanding of what could be wrong and to make suggestions for a more suitable treatment plan.

please do not take the video during or directly after a feed. we need the fish to be behaving normally and as active as possible in their normal state. a video just before a feed is the best time.

also, i would like to know exactly what treatments are in their tank at the moment and how long you've been treating them with it.

I'm so glad to see you all here. I'll do my best in video taping. As of right now I only preformed a large water change with no salt, medication or temperature change. I added the new canister filter this past weekend. So there are 3 filtration systems running.

At the bottom of this thread is a post started by QandD 10, Jun 2015. My fish symptoms are very close to her's. A video is a great idea. It seems everyday there is something new happening with every fish.

Things started happening when my city changed the water purification from chlorine to chloramine. I don't know if that is the cause. The water smells foul. I have been using a 50-50% store bought filtered water with sink water (with Prime) with my water change. It was when I did a water change a month ago, that the faucet water and tank water test was off the chart with ammonia. We rushed to the store and bought water. The ammonia immediately read -0- after replace 30 gallons. They love their new tank. I vacuum the bottom of the tank daily before feeding. The test readings are -0- on all the scales. The Ph is always at 7.6. 

I'll video tape them as soon as possible, Thank you all so much! 

You should contact the city water company and complain about the foul-smelling water.  They have surely received many such calls and should have an answer to what you can do about it.  Meanwhile, you can put some carbon in the filter to absorb the odor.

You can handle bad tap water by replacing large weekly water changes with small daily changes.  Daily 10% changes give much the same average water quality as 50% weekly changes.  Your filters can handle the ammonia from small changes.

If this started with the water changing I'd be even more surprised if it was parasites, truth be told.

You are in great hands with Helen - I'm glad you're able to do a video :)

I contacted the city water department. I live in a suburb of a larger city that the main water source comes from. They are going to come to my home and test the water. This is the list they gave me:

- Barium; 0.05

- Beta Photon Emitters: 4

- Fluoride: 0.27

- Nitrate: 0.23

- Turbidity: 29%-100

When my husband bought the goldfish they had some small fraying on their tail fins and bent fins.

Sunshine still has white pimples, dots, and a few raised scales. The shiny raised scales have always been that way.

Sunshine has been bottom sitting.

The white flat patch on Happy has faded, almost gone. 

Midnight has been having bouncy issues. Last week it was upside down for the night. There has been air bubbles in the poop.

The white spots do not look like salt or sugar dusted on their fins. More like raised dimples/pimples.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/t-dSbt3VhpM

The water department is fast! There here right now testing the water. 

Edited by LiquidOxygen

The test he ran was for Chlorine, which was 2.0

I'll do 10% water changes daily. I'll keep using store bought water to add with the tap. I'll add double the dose on Prime. The plants and rocks need a good cleaning. i will get my husband later to help me take a better video if you need it. Thank you so much for your help!