1mm or 3mm pellets

Butterfly

I am thinking about getting some NLS Thera-A for my fish.  

Choice between 1mm and 3mm sinking pellets.

I have a sand substrate.  Will the 1mm pellets get "lost" in there?  My fish are large so I am sure they could handle the 3mm pellet.  I know the smaller pellets are better for their GI tract, but I'm worried they might get lost in the substrate (my fish don't seem to be exceptionally brilliant food finders but do get all the repashy I put in there eventually).

I have a betta too who I thought might like the food which is another reason I was thinking about the 1mm vs the 3mm.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I use the 2mm NLS Thera-A :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=new+life+spectrum+thera+a+2mm

It's the same size as Hikari Lionhead (which I mix with it) and is easy for the fish to distinguish from the sand grains.

Edited by Jared

:teehee Of course there has to be someone right in the middle!

Just call me Goldilocks:

This pellet is too small,

This pellet is too big,

This pellet is juuuuuuuuuust right.

:rofl

Edited by Jared

:teehee Of course there has to be someone right in the middle!

Just call me Goldilocks :rofl

You should be Goldilocks for Halloween!   :pianobanana

Been there, done that :rofl

I'm actually reusing my Avenger's Hawkeye Costume  :flex:

Edited by Jared

Dnalex posted this article a while back http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2543128/#!po=14.5833

It is about the vagal taste system of a goldfish. Approximately 20% of the brain mass is dedicated to this system thus allowing the goldfish to have quite a sophisticated food sorting ability.

Of course Jared's fish are different and only dedicate 5% brain mass. The is phenomenon is referred to as the Goldilocks syndrome. :))

Edited by LisaCGold

If you have a strong filter, I wouldn't use smaller pellets like the 1mm type. I can't use it in two of my tanks, because the filter will "eat" them before the fish can. Then you are pretty much just feeding the filter, rather than the fish. I run Fluval FX6 on these two tanks and it is pretty strong.

At this point, with all my fish being 5cm+, I only use the 1mm for fry and in case of food sortage. I rather use a bigger pellet that isn't being sucked into the filter.

Dnalex posted this article a while back http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2543128/#!po=14.5833

It is about the vagal taste system of a goldfish. Approximately 20% of the brain mass is dedicated to this system thus allowing the goldfish to have quite a sophisticated food sorting ability.

Of course Jared's fish are different and only dedicate 5% brain mass. The is phenomenon is referred to as the Goldilocks syndrome. :))

I remember reading that article.  I do, however, feel that one or two of my fish tend to ingest more sand than what's normal.  Lisa has a ranchu that does this, too (probably because she got him from me :rofl).  Anyway, my fish seem to have an easier time distinguishing/separating the 2mm pellets from the sand than the 1mm size.  How do I know?  They essentially poop less sand, now.   :teehee

My fish must have a "vague" taste system.

Edited by Jared