How to QT red cherry shrimp and what to feed?

Ree

Hi,

I am being given some red cherry shrimp for my guppy tank, and I needed to know how to QT them and for how long... I don't want to add tehm to the guppy tank till I know the infection is totally gone!

What do I feed them while in QT?

What meds can I use and cant I use?  I have some catappaX coming for them... wondering what else.... Can I use salt?

Thankyou soooo much... I am really out of my depth here....  :help1

Are they visually showing signs of illness? Really not worth medicating unless you see an issue. Most inverts cant handle most meds. What kind of infection is it you think they have?

Having them apart for a few weeks would be fine. Like the same time frame as people who dont dip plants. Otherwise its probably more likely the guppys would get the shrimp sick

My shrimp eat decaying plant matter and leftover pellets i let sink in an area my betta cant reach.

Are they visually showing signs of illness? Really not worth medicating unless you see an issue. Most inverts cant handle most meds. What kind of infection is it you think they have?

Having them apart for a few weeks would be fine. Like the same time frame as people who dont dip plants. Otherwise its probably more likely the guppys would get the shrimp sick

My shrimp eat decaying plant matter and leftover pellets i let sink in an area my betta cant reach.

Hi Calamity!

I don't have them yet... they were posted today so should have them by Wednesday.  I am treating my main tank for a bacterial infection within the guppies with metro and salt so I didn't want to put them in until I knew the guppyies were well again.

So if I soak a few food pellets and some chorella flakes that will do them?

I've never done much for shrimp. I usually just keep them in a tub for a week or two; sometimes less if they've come from a friendly source.

If the population isn't terribly large, you'll find you don't really need to feed them. They should be able to get by on plant matter, algae and missed pellets. If the population is much larger, supplemental feedings a few times a week will benefit them greatly. In my experience, cherries and our native algae shrimp (Darwin Algae, Queensland Algae and Red Nose varieties) are quite fond of zucchini. :)

I've never done much for shrimp. I usually just keep them in a tub for a week or two; sometimes less if they've come from a friendly source.

If the population isn't terribly large, you'll find you don't really need to feed them. They should be able to get by on plant matter, algae and missed pellets. If the population is much larger, supplemental feedings a few times a week will benefit them greatly. In my experience, cherries and our native algae shrimp (Darwin Algae, Queensland Algae and Red Nose varieties) are quite fond of zucchini. :)

Thanks Dan!! I will feed them some zucchini then!  That will be perfect!  When they can go in the main tank they will have loooots to eat. 

I was told by a petshop employee today that I should not put the shrimp in the main tank for at least a week after finishing any med treatment and that I should run carbon for a good week to eliminate any meds.  Does this sound right?  Just don't want to mess this up for them!  The main tank is being treated with metroplex and salt 0.1% at the moment for a bacterial infection in the guppies.

Thanks so much for your help!!! :hi

Thankyou so much for your help Dan!

Shrimp should be fine with metro, lots of tropical hobbyists don't even bother to remove them. That said, it's really up to you. If you would be happier making sure the water is med free, then that's what I would do. :)

Shrimp should be fine with metro, lots of tropical hobbyists don't even bother to remove them. That said, it's really up to you. If you would be happier making sure the water is med free, then that's what I would do. :)

Thanks Dan!  Looks like I will need to add Kanaplex too.  Do you know if shrimps go ok with it? 

Thankyou so much for your help!!!! SOOOOO much appreciated!  :hi