Snail newbie--questions, sorry!

QandD

Hi all,

I hope these questions aren't totally tedious, but I am thinking of getting a nerite snail since I know they don't propogate in fresh water. I know that I'd have to do a preventative QT for about a month or so in case of shell-travelers or sudden death, and I was thinking of doing a bucket-to-bucket method. However, I am concerned with additives I have in the tank, which include EI dosing, Excel, Prime/Safe, baking soda, and gH booster. My pH is around 8.2 which is stable and the temperature is at 73-75 degrees. I have a number of plants, but also feed the girls Repashy Super Green, which I am thinking of painting on a rock or something for the snail if it would eat it. Would this work for food? 

I am also concerned about sourcing the snails. Petsmart/Petco don't have them around here, and the fancier NYC fish store had really sick goldfish, so I don't trust their stock. On the other hand, there are many eBay snail options, so I was wondering if anyone has gone that route, though it would be hard to buy just one or so--they seem to come in fives. 

Anyway, sorry for all of the questions! I would appreciate any suggestions.

I don't think any of those additives will be a problem with nerites. :)

Some snails will eat Repashy, others stick with algae and such in the tank. I have 2 nerites in my 75. I used to remove them weekly to feed them but I haven't done that for months. They find stuff to eat in the tank . . . While in QT try the Repashy, stick a plant in there, try spirulina, whatever works for you. :)

I think if you QT them for a month you'll be fine with whatever source you go with. I've ordered online and gotten them from various local sources. I don't really have a preference as to where they come from.

Good luck. :)

So I bit the bullet and bought two zebra nerites off of eBay! They've just been shipped today. Thanks for the tips and I hope that D&V don't try to eat them eventually.

I really don't think you have to QT them for a month, regardless of source, although I understand the desire to do so.  Essentially, you want to get rid of any parasites that might be riding on their shells or in the water under their shells.  In the past, I have QT'd the small ones (dime-size or less)  in a small container ( a 5-litre vase) - and changed the water daily for a week.  Then I moved them to the 20 litre plastic bucket for another week with every other day changes.  I plop them in the tank after that whenever the balance between tedium and neurosis flips to the tedium end of the scale.

HI all, just a quick question about whether I should be concerned. My snails arrived alive on Friday after a 3 day trip (post office screwed up priority shipping), and they seem to be alive, still. One moves around sometimes when I have a towel over their bucket--I thought that the dark might make them more at ease--and the other is pretty stationary but clinging to the bottom of the tank. However, I haven't seen them eat anything. I've put in a spirulina flake, some Repashy, a piece of a plant that was decomposing. Now I have a cooked baby kale leaf in there. The water is room temperature and therefore on the cooler side--probably in the upper 60s. Could this just be making their metabolisms slower and them less inclined to eat? Or are they still acclimating and shy? I'm just worried that they'll starve or something if I can't figure out what they'd like. I suppose I could go get a zucchini tomorrow if they like that?

I have them in about 2-3 gallons of treated water that I change daily. 

I have a small heater that automatically heats to 78 degrees. It came with my 10 gallon QT, but I'm a bit worried about what it would do in a 4 gallon plastic bucket. I guess I could start using the QT but it would be something of a nuisance. But if their health is endangered I'll do it. 

OK--I'm trying warmer water now, keeping them in the kitchen. No dice with the spinach, so I put a temple plant with some diatoms on it in the tank. I've noticed that one of them has a cracked shell now, though, that I don't think was present before. 

Would it be a big risk just to put them in the tank? They seem to be unhappy.

How long have you had them?

Since Friday, so 5 days. The cracked one died so there is one left :( I put in some gH booster in case it needs some calcium and am trying parboiled zucchini now. I also ordered some NLS algaemax. I guess it is too soon to put the snail in the tank.

Yep, I'd wait.

OK--if this one dies I found an LFS that carries nerites and keeps them with shrimp. Then I'd be able to avoid traumatizing them with shipping and also assess their activity levels. Thanks for your help.

Final update: the other snail died :( Hopefully if and when I get new snails, I'll be able to keep them alive in QT. I'm feeling kind of guilty about the whole thing.

Edited by QandD

Honestly, I've been having issues keeping snails alive too.  I've gotten some recently that haven't made it out of QT  . . . .  then I have some in my 75 that I've had for probably 3 years.  :idont  I'm getting some more this week.  Hopefully these will survive QT as my 40 is :scared  in need of some help.  :rofl

Aww sorry :(

I did not have a good experience when i had snails shipped to me. I think out of six, three made it to the tank. They lived a short time.

But I got two more from Petsmart and they're going on two years now.

I don't know if it was luck or related to less stress from shipping or what, but check out the ones at this new store and maybe they'll be in better shape. :)