Sump Questions

Here is my personal opinion on question #3:

No, it would not allow you to get a third GF. Water amount is not really just for parameters. It is also for swimming space. A 29G has just enough swimming space for two goldfish of moderate size. If you added another, it would get too crowded. Crowding can lead to aggression, as well as lead to increased risk of disease spreading. I don't find either of those things worth giving in to a "new fish craving."

Here is my personal opinion on question #3:

No, it would not allow you to get a third GF. Water amount is not really just for parameters. It is also for swimming space. A 29G has just enough swimming space for two goldfish of moderate size. If you added another, it would get too crowded. Crowding can lead to aggression, as well as lead to increased risk of disease spreading. I don't find either of those things worth giving in to a "new fish craving."

Alright. . . I'll have to find a different solution, then. My older sister got me a really nice expensive fish. . . i have three months to prep tho. Thanks.

I would suggest looking out for the next dollar per gallon sale at your local petco and getting a 55 gallon aquarium if you have the space, or maybe a second tank for your new fish. Remember that you need to quarantine the fish in its own system for at least 4 weeks as well, so make sure there's a plan in place for that. :)

You can use that 29G to make a sump and buy a 55G (for$55) for the 3 fish

I personally have #2 (trickle) which I think is the most common (but not sure)

It is excellent for biological filtration but not mechanical.

I added some pothos plant in the return area along witha DIY "algae scrubber" to help with nitrates

The one I have I purchased it from a closing store for $50 w/ pump included but they can go for $150-$200 new (without pump)

You should try Craigslist.. someone is always upgrading or retiring

Watch the videos below and you'll find out how much will it cost (more less)  to make one

sump1 - fluidized moving

Sump2 - Emerged Trickle

Sump3 - Submerged

Edited by 210 Oranda

Try to explain it to them in a way they can understand. A 55 gallon weighs about 500 pounds when filled. That's 2 good sized grown men standing next to each other. If they are worried about that, the house is not safe for human habitation.

Try to explain it to them in a way they can understand. A 55 gallon weighs about 500 pounds when filled. That's 2 good sized grown men standing next to each other. If they are worried about that, the house is not safe for human habitation.

But then you add in alk my heavy furniture, the 20g and the 10g, and it's a lot more than that. Plus, two grown men don't spend years in the same place, wearing into the floor. Nor do they ever explode and spew 55 gallons of liquid. . ,

If the tanks and furniture are spread out, then it likely shouldn't be an issue. A 55 gallon tank weighs as much as a refrigerator, but the weight is spread out over a greater area.

I understand accidents can happen, but if you take care around your tank and take care of it properly, you should not have it "explode and send out 55 gallons of liquid."

I currently have a 55 in my dorm room, and feel no nerves about it. However, if your parents feel that you shouldn't have a tank that big, then is there any reason you can't have multiple smaller tanks, such as a second 29, if they are spread out?

Edited by ChelseaM

But then you add in alk my heavy furniture, the 20g and the 10g, and it's a lot more than that. Plus, two grown men don't spend years in the same place, wearing into the floor. Nor do they ever explode and spew 55 gallons of liquid. . ,

It seems you may think the 55 is too heavy too and that's fine. I'm not going to try to twist your arm. I also don't know the structural condition of the house so your parents could be correct. Just as a reference point for you, last winter, I had a 75 gallon, and 125 gallon, 2 couches, an ottoman, a coffee table, and an entertainment center with big TV, 3 large speakers at 75 pounds each, and the rest of a quite impressive surround sound all in the same room. 5 people also sat in the room at the same time and my house is still standing :) Anyway, sorry to get a bit off topic. Good luck with your decisions. I agree with Chelsea that 3 fish in a 29 is a no go. Personally I wouldn't keep goldfish in anything smaller than a 40 breeder. Maybe you would sell them on that. It's only 11 more gallons on paper but a 40b is actually about 45 gallons so with a good water change schedule, you could keep 3 fish happy in there until they get pretty big.