Sign in to follow this  
QandD

What are these?

After cleaning my tank today, I saw these white things with a pinkish dot in the middle on my front glass. I haven't examined the rest of the glass. I haven't scraped them off yet since I don't know if I should be concerned about making them waterborne.

Here are some photos to the best of my ability.

20151021_104652_zpsopwxftdz.jpg

20151021_104641_zpsdgcazmk1.jpg

I don't see any of these orbs on the plants or snails in the tank. The fish have either not noticed or don't care. 

I had those years ago in my Guppy tank.... They seem to be some kind of snail ... They wont harm the fish hun :)

I have some little snails that look like that from the underside, in my betta tank. Pretty innocuous critters, I never seem to get too many, as I tend to suck a lot of them out with the siphon when I do water changes. They eat a lot of algae off the back walls, where I let it grow.

I guess some hitched a ride on my new plants despite the 45 minute PP soak! So long as they're not bad they are welcome. Thanks!

Your fish may eventually run across them and then Nom Nom! All gone white things with pinkish dot :teehee

I guess some hitched a ride on my new plants despite the 45 minute PP soak! So long as they're not bad they are welcome. Thanks!

Tough little critters! It's usually recommended to give them around four hours in the PP. :idont

At one point I didn't PP or bleach my plants and just stuck them in (I know...) I ended up getting snails in the tank but they didn't last long as it was a Berta sorority and they devoured the snails after a few weeks.

Tough little critters! It's usually recommended to give them around four hours in the PP. :idont

At one point I didn't PP or bleach my plants and just stuck them in (I know...) I ended up getting snails in the tank but they didn't last long as it was a Berta sorority and they devoured the snails after a few weeks.

I've read a range of times re: PP, from 20 minutes to 4 hours as you say. For my part, I usually make a pretty strong concentration and examine all of the leaves. I think that since one of the plants had rock wool on its roots that I may have missed something. Oh well! 

I've read a range of times re: PP, from 20 minutes to 4 hours as you say. For my part, I usually make a pretty strong concentration and examine all of the leaves. I think that since one of the plants had rock wool on its roots that I may have missed something. Oh well!

Ah yeah. I tend to make the water just purple enough and let them sit for 4 hours (or, if I forget, longer :rofl ). But I'm sure your babies aren't complaining! Free snacks! :feedme:

Hehe I've got them in my betta tank too. They haven't gone really crazy, I think he eats most of the eggs and I suck a lot up during water changes too I think

Looks like it could be a freshwater limpet to me.

It's a snail thingy, I'm unaware of the species specifically but have them in one of my tanks, too.

Well, they've disappeared, so I guess Duchess and Vickie discovered them after all!