Sign in to follow this  
TonySydney

Unexpected benefits of an External Power Filter

It certainly is the hard part! And true that every keeper, even the most skilled and experienced also go through through illnesses and deaths. Unfortunately a fact of keeping them I think! :hug

I'm glad you are able to enjoy your fish again! :D

I think my goldfish are Contrarians (yes its a thing!) when I first put in the power filter they were really energetic and swimming around happily. Now they still do a bit of this but spend a large part of the day at the end of the tank under the return sprays - I think to avoid the gentle current they seemed to love so much when the filter first went in!

I have adjusted the return spray bar so the water spray is just under the surface of the water to make sure there is as little current as possible but they still hang about in the still spot. When I turn the filter off to feed them they start swimming around the tank actively looking for food. And will stay active for a while longer after the filter goes back on.

Hi Everyone, I decided last weekend to update from my two internal power filter to an over the top Ehiem Pro 3 2075. This filter has double the capacity needed for my 300 litre tank. I have left the two existing internal filters in place for now until the new filter develops its biological capacity.

I am writing here because I noticed almost immediately that my fish were much more active when I installed the power filter. They would normally move around the tank langorously, now that are much more alert and spend a lot of time foraging. Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavioural change? Do you think it might be the spray bar making a very gentle current? Or is there now better oxygenation? Just curious to hear your thoughts.

CA5A3944-5012-486A-9295-A0EF705A2F71_zps

This is the tank, the internal filters are more noticeable than usual because I removed a large piece of driftwood and I cannot hide them as well as before and the cables are more visible because I now only have one power-board. I plan to remove these filters soon anyway so will put up with the ugly cables for now.

565CD196-F21E-4E8F-99FC-A41ED5701440_zps

This is the new power filter, I had a carpenter adapt the cabinet so it would fit. It is advertised as silent but it has a low hum when its on. I am going to experiment with a rubber mat under it soon to see if it is vibration making the noise.

Cheers for now  :)

Very nice setup. I'd recommend getting a plastic tote/bus for the canister filter, specially being that close to electrical. Something like this but deeper (got one from Walmart less that $2). 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RUBBERMAID-3351-7.63-gal.-Gray-Polyethylene-Tote-Box-21-1-2-x17-1-8-x7/40917653

Old thread but a good call!

Just to be safe we don't want to mix water and electricity and accidents happen. Mount that power strip or put the filter in a tub as suggested above :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks for the tip mj23dream I will do as you suggest - great idea. I am in the doldrums again, I lost Buster 1 day ago. I try my best but cannot seem to get the care right. I started with 4 fish and I am down to 1 now.  :no:

I will mount the power board on the side wall of the cabinet - thanks Arctic Mama for the reminder.