Sign in to follow this  
TonySydney

Unexpected benefits of an External Power Filter

Hi Everyone, I decided last weekend to update from my two internal power filter to an over the top Ehiem Pro 3 2075. This filter has double the capacity needed for my 300 litre tank. I have left the two existing internal filters in place for now until the new filter develops its biological capacity.

I am writing here because I noticed almost immediately that my fish were much more active when I installed the power filter. They would normally move around the tank langorously, now that are much more alert and spend a lot of time foraging. Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavioural change? Do you think it might be the spray bar making a very gentle current? Or is there now better oxygenation? Just curious to hear your thoughts.

CA5A3944-5012-486A-9295-A0EF705A2F71_zps

This is the tank, the internal filters are more noticeable than usual because I removed a large piece of driftwood and I cannot hide them as well as before and the cables are more visible because I now only have one power-board. I plan to remove these filters soon anyway so will put up with the ugly cables for now.

565CD196-F21E-4E8F-99FC-A41ED5701440_zps

This is the new power filter, I had a carpenter adapt the cabinet so it would fit. It is advertised as silent but it has a low hum when its on. I am going to experiment with a rubber mat under it soon to see if it is vibration making the noise.

Cheers for now  :)

Always nice when  an upgrade has surprising results. Thanks for sharing Tony.

Hi Mysterygirl - I put off doing this because I did not want to cut up the back of the antique sideboard. It has been such a success I wish I had done it earlier. The fish are so active they look like the fish I see on Youtube videos.

I would guess that the current created by the new filters may cause them to swim more. I watched a youtube clip of a guy talking about caring for Koi and he was talking about creating a current for the Koi to swim in. He gave me the impression from what he was saying about it being comparable to somebody who goes the Gym. Because most people feed their Koi (in our case goldfish) high protein food to encourage growth. with the additional exercise created by swimming in the current, this encourages muscle growth. From what he was saying, I guess additional current may be creating more activity in you fish.

Are the internal filters still running?

Interesting to hear about the current idea Colley614, it is only a gentle current but definitely more than the two internal power filters provided. I have also noticed much more evaporation than before with the external power filter running.

Yes ChelseaM the two internal power filters are running, I wanted to give the new external power filter to mature before removing the internal filters. I hope the goldfish stay as active after I remove the internal power filters.  :D

It could also be from more oxygen in the tank from more water movement, especially in the surface.

Those internal filters are terrible. I would imagine it is from the increased DO

Off topic, but I'd suspend the powerboard to one of the walls. If the canister leaks or you have a filter cleaning mishap, water would end up awfully close to electricity.

Thanks for your thoughts DieselPlower: I am guessing DO is dissolved oxygen? I think you are right the spray bar return is quite powerful, only this morning I aimed it almost horizontal just under the surface of the water to reduce the current in the tank. Evaporation has greatly increased too.

I agree Dan the power board was meant to be mounted on its side on the wall of the cabinet but the carpenter left without doing that for me. I will see if i can get the screws lined up properly and put the board up a few inches from the floor.

Ah. I was wondering because there will be a lot less underwater noise when you turn the internals off. That's always nice.

I think the oxygen levels are one of the reasons, too. Also, maybe having a filter that does a better job removing the crud from the water is helping. Internal filters just leave that sitting in the tank, in the filter, so it's not really being removed like you would see in an external model.

That is an awesome benefit, for sure! I noticed something similar when I upgraded to a 55 gallon and put in two bubble stones and a large bubble wand on the back. My two goldfish are acting like babies again, swimming through the bubbles excitedly. It's adorable!

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I am really enjoying the vigour in my two goldfish. I removed one of the internal filters yesterday and I am playing around with a new layout. This is what my tank looks like now. I want a bit more height on the right but it is night time here & wet and storming outside right now so I will wait until tomorrow to look for an upright stone.  :blink:

E10AF19E-B251-4E9D-BECA-1C3090770806_zps

Its looking really good!

Thanks for your thoughts DieselPlower: I am guessing DO is dissolved oxygen? I think you are right the spray bar return is quite powerful, only this morning I aimed it almost horizontal just under the surface of the water to reduce the current in the tank. Evaporation has greatly increased too.

I agree Dan the power board was meant to be mounted on its side on the wall of the cabinet but the carpenter left without doing that for me. I will see if i can get the screws lined up properly and put the board up a few inches from the floor.

Yes you are correct DO is dissolved oxygen. I'm glad your fish are doing well!

Also I believe having the water discharge horizontally is the best way to do it. It will increase surface agitation, which increases gas and oxygen exchange. Well done.

Thanks again everyone, I am learning more and more all the time. I thought I was providing the best environment before, but now I see the external filter with the return bar agitating the surface water is really improving the conditions for my fish. I was feeling ready to give  up when I recently lost a fish but now I feel more hopeful that one more piece of the keeping goldfish puzzle has fitted into place.  :)

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I am really enjoying the vigour in my two goldfish. I removed one of the internal filters yesterday and I am playing around with a new layout. This is what my tank looks like now. I want a bit more height on the right but it is night time here & wet and storming outside right now so I will wait until tomorrow to look for an upright stone.  :blink:

E10AF19E-B251-4E9D-BECA-1C3090770806_zps

Tony you tank is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the new layout!  So do your finned friends by the look of it!!!  So glad you are enjoying your babies so much! 

Thanks Ree, I do really care about my goldfish, they have so much more personality than the tropical fish I keep. I will post an update when I get a chance to improve this layout.

So cool to read that your fish have upped their level of activity with the filter changes. Your tank is looking beautiful!

Thanks LisaCGold. I noticed that the fish would 'hide' in the protected area near the large planting at the left hand end of the tank and I wondered if there was a bit too much current. So I have the return tube jets running almost horizontal across the tank now to reduce the current. They are still active but the larger fish does spend a lot more time in the most protected part of the tank than Buster the smaller fish.

This is the tank with a bit more rocks and plants on the right hand end of the tank.

8E869AFF-D8C1-42D7-B1FB-C32C9431394C_zps

The tank looks really great!

Thanks FishyMandy, on a tangent; I was reading an interview in the latest Practical Fishkeeping magazine today. An aquarium keeper, John Tyler, was being interviewed for an article on his tank of rare fish. One of the standard questions all these interviews have is what are the most difficult fish you have ever kept. His answer was Fancy Goldfish. To quote him: "They always developed problems eventually, no matter how much care I put into them"

This has been my experience too, I am now counting how many mouthfuls of food my fish get and keeping them at opposite ends of the tank when I feed them to make sure no one gets more than a mouthful or two. I love these fish but did not realise how delicate they were when I decided to keep butterfly telescope eyes!  :blink:

Its true that no matter what you do problems seem to happen! I just hope they will stay away for as long as possible..this year has been a tough one for me and my fish...after over 2 years of no losses I lost 4 fish this year...One I only had a few months but the others I had for 4 years, 6 years and 7 years...so it's been tough and I've had a lot of frustrating feelings!

I do adore butterflies and teles though and I'm hoping to get some calicos soon!

Hi FishMandy, I am sorry you lost your fish, thank you for telling me though. It is slowly getting through my thick head that keeping these beautiful fish has its down side, being so highly bred they are prone to problems and are very delicate. Until recently I had the idea that every one else was keeping their fish happy and healthy and I was failing my fish despite my best efforts to give them a good environment and good food.

I am back to enjoying my fish again though, after my last fish died I was ready to give up but they are so beautiful and graceful that I want go keep them again.  :)