• * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0.25
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2

I buffer with baking soda to make sure that pH is always within .5 points (usually hit around .2 points)

• Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API drops
  • * Water temperature? 72-3F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, -- 2-3 months (of this most recent cycle)
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 AC 70s
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?  75-80% weekly (right now); I usually do every 5 days, but I just did a 7-day Prazi round
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  Yesterday 75-80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?  2 fish, 50 grams and 20-25 grams (haven't weighed her in a while)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?  Prime, baking soda, gH booster--then liquid fertilizers from NilocG (Macros/micros) and Excel (2 capfuls upon big water change, then half cap later in the week if at all)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x Thera-A pellets or bloodworms (latter usually on WC days before the change comes) and then Repashy power green or nori 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? end of Prazi round 3
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  The girls had had parasites and a slower form of columnaris a few months ago (see previous threads "never ending parasites) that I treated in QT with Paraguard, eventually, once the columnaris cleared with kanaplex and Furan-2; I had to strip down and re-cycle the tank, which had some problems since I had to travel, so I have been doing some Prazi rounds after seeing darting and uncontrolled swimming in my oldest fish, Duchess (6.5 years old)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Vickie has a white cyst on her left pectoral fin; no other spots. Duchess has a frayed tail with opaque spots like always.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Duchess is now bottom sitting and lethargic all day; previous to this, she has been darting and gulping while on Prazi; she persists in darting and uncontrolled swimming but now is just lethargic and sitting. :(

The girls have just finished their third round of maintenance Prazi, since I figured that the water quality issues with the erratic cycle may have compromised their immune systems, and it had been a few months since they'd been Prazi. Now Duchess (my older fish, as I mention above), has been bottom sitting, staring at a corner of the tank, or very lethargic all day. I have only dosed micros today as always and the parameters are OK. There has been a small ammonia spike after the WC, but I dosed extra Prime this morning since I test their water nearly every day. 

I'm worried that she has an infection (again) or something else going on, since she'd been darting and having uncontrolled swimming again. It is unlike her to bottom sit. Vickie, my littler fish, has a white cyst on her left pectoral fin, but no other spots and seems totally fine. I am going to watch her to see if any other spots show up. I am not sure where something like ich would come from since the tank was completely sterilized not long ago, and they were in QT for a long while. 

Thanks for your help. Duchess is very dear to me and it is sad to see her not feeling well.

Can you move her to a quarantine and just observe? No salt, no meds, temp on the warmer side (76-78, raise it very gradually over the next day). I have no good idea of what is is going on but this will eliminate stress from the additives and prazi as potential culprits. Is it possible you could have misdosed a fert?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Can you move her to a quarantine and just observe? No salt, no meds, temp on the warmer side (76-78, raise it very gradually over the next day). I have no good idea of what is is going on but this will eliminate stress from the additives and prazi as potential culprits. Is it possible you could have misdosed a fert?

Since I accidentally dosed macros twice a while ago I have been careful to check the bottles: it was only micros today for sure. I will try to get a QT up and running by tomorrow morning or late evening. She is currently hiding in the hygrophila thicket and sitting :(

Let us know her poop situation: long or short poops? Color? Lots, little?

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses so far. I won't be able to get her into a QT until late tonight (or possibly tomorrow). I feel bad about this, but I have to be on campus a lot in the next two days. I hope you don't think me derelict.

She is swimming right now since she knows it's supposed to be breakfast time, so I think that's encouraging. She is a bit lethargic, though, when she thinks I am not looking at her and actually seems to be having some trouble swimming downward. I am going to turn the current down on the HOBS.

However, in case it is constipation or something like it, I am wondering if I should fast her today and/or feed peas exclusively for a few days. Maybe epsom? I am not sure what to do. 

Lisa, I have not seen any poop from her, but there is poop on the black substrate (sand). Vickie is pooping, though, so it could be hers. 

Vickie seems fine apart from the spot on her pectoral fin. She has no other spots as of this morning.  

OK--here is a video with narration I just made of them this morning. Of course, Duchess is behaving better than she had been. She is the white fantail with a red spot on her head. Vickie is the little orange/red oranda.

I also just checked my ammonia and nitrites, and annoyingly they are reading .5 ppm and trace for nitrites (a shade darker than sky blue). Not sure what this is about. Perhaps I should do a water change or another filter cleaning tomorrow, or try to let it right itself? I have double dosed Prime since I have to catch a train in a few minutes. Arg! 

I enjoyed the video!!!! They look good.

Like I said, just move her for observation when you can. That will help you eliminate variables and narrow it down. If you're not positive she is pooping normally then do check for that. Constipation is quite common and can cause some strange stress behavior.

Like I said, just move her for observation when you can. That will help you eliminate variables and narrow it down. If you're not positive she is pooping normally then do check for that. Constipation is quite common and can cause some strange stress behavior.

OK. I will do that and maybe a small partial water change for the weird ammonia spike in the main tank.

Thanks again. I don't mean to be an alarmist and appreciate your advice.

Since Duchess is getting older she maybe more sensitive to the ammonia, NO2 and NO3. As AM wrote, a QT will help to eliminate possibilities.

Hi all, 

Just a quick update: with water chemistry under control (again) and peas, etc, Duchess's bottom sitting only lasted a day and a half and she is back to normal. I am taking her last round of Prazi out today, so if there are any negative behavioral changes at that point, I will report back. Thank you for your help!

Sounds good :)