Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

Need Help Rehabbing friend's fish

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)80+
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)one drop,water is still clear, 2nd drop it is light yellow, never blue
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)same
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?api drops
      • * Water temperature?71
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallon, 2 1/2 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?Aqueon 55/75
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week.  50+
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?Last Sunday
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • Fred(qt)is 94grams, oranda slightly smaller , 2 very smallpleco, clams, 1 snail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • NLS med gf pellets, 1x's a day, 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?water conditioners only
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? white area at base of tail, scales are raised around it. Noticed white scales 3 or 4 months ago.Bump & raised scales appeared today.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None, acting and eating normal

He is now at my house in a 10 gallon qt with fresh water and prime only. I will upload pics and vid when I get home from work tonight. 

The area we are concerned with is on the left side, between the top fin and base of the tail. It was really hard getting pics, I hope these are good enough.

FredQT%20008_zpsyv4zvmmx.jpg

FredQT%20010_zpsidxgmvgu.jpg

FredQT%20011_zpsipscualk.jpg

FredQT%20012_zpsr9v0eww8.jpg

Vids:

He is currently in just clean water. He has never had a Prazi treatment, is 94 grams and is almost 3 years old. 

I was going to fast him for a day or 2. Should I just keep him in clean water for a couple days? Add salt? I have m&m's.

I would say add .1% salt for now, but wait for a mod to confirm.

Thanks Mikey, I'll wait for a mod's input.  He's very active this morning. He's usually been fed by now so I'm sure he's like :saywhat

He'll have been with me 24 hours by noon, so I'll do a big wc then.

Why fast him?  

He's beautiful and looks pretty healthy.  Clean water, salt, and observation for now.   Let us know if anything changes.   You can do a couple rounds of prazi if you wish.  

Yes, it just looks like an abrasion or injury. I wouldn't worry, the qt conditions should help him heal without much need for intervention. .1% salt is a good idea.

Thanks for your input ladies!thank-you-smiley.gif

I just thought fasting them for a day or two was a routine thing to do.  :idont

I'll add salt tonight.

Actually, at one time, people on this forum recommended fasting one day a week.  However, a few years ago, we decided that fish that by nature nibble continuously should ideally receive small amounts of food frequently.  Since then, we have recommended fasting as a treatment for buoyancy problems or sluggishness that can indicate an overstuffed gut.