Sign in to follow this  
Bmitchell486

Fish in C-shape on bottom :(

For background information, see my recent posting called "Quick help needed for Ich and other infection"

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm

• * Nitrate level(Tank) 0 ppm

• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 ppm

• * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 ppm

• * Nitrate level(Tap) 0 ppm

• * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2

• * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.5

• Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Strips
      • * Water temperature? 82 degrees

• * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 72 gallons, 5 years

• * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 406

• * How often do you change the water and how much? For the last 2 weeks, they've gotten 50%-90% water changes daily.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday.  50% change.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 goldfish, ranging from small to medium
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? dechlorinator and .3% salinity
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Goldfish pellets and Repashy Soilent Green gel
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? None added for a year
  • * Any medications added to the tank? just salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  They had ich earlier. They were treated with .3% salinity.  I dose prazi every 6 months.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Not yesterday or today.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  This morning she was 100% fine.  She ate and was very active.  I just got home from work 20 minutes ago and she's in a very curved C shape, cant't swim at all and can't unbend herself, just sitting on the bottom.  She's just slowly breathing very hard.  Her fins are sticking out like they're all stuck.

I just put her in QT with only dechlor at 82 degrees.  I'm worried it's too late.  She looks like she'll be dead in an hour, with how curved she is and how stiff she looks.  She looks dead except for her slow deep gulp breathing.  Please help :(

IMG_7659.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7665.jpg

She was 100% fine and eating 10 hours ago.  The rest of the fish in the tank are fine and happy.  I tested the water and it's fine too.  Please help.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?  Metronidazole?  Any others?

Once fish are in a C shape, the likelihood of them recovering is slim.  However, if you'd like to treat, I'd treat with the kanaplex along with metronidazole.  The kanaplex alone is not broad spectrum enough.  Do you have any good local fish stores (locally owned, not big box stores)?  :idont

unfortunately no. I was recently shopping for meds last week when my guys had ich and my pickings are slim.  Offhand, do you know what brands have metronidazole in it? I am googling now and will call around.

I know that her shape is so bent that she's probably already gone... but I'm just devastated.  She is the one who was barrel rolling last week, and one morning I woke up and she's been fine for almost a week now.  Her ich just cleared up. :(

The only med I found online was Seachem Metronidazole.  I called my petco and petsmart and they don't have it.  I've put the Kanaplex in there.  She's still breathing, laying on the bottom on her side.

That's what you want is Seachem Metronidazole, also called MetroPlex.  It's a very useful medication to have and is used for many diseases.  If you can, I'd order it to use with this fish and/or future use.

We must have been posting at the same time earlier.  I caught the biggest break -- I have API General cure and it isn't expired!!!! I forgot that I got it a year ago when I bought her in case she needed to be treated for anything when she was in QT.

I've added the API General Cure and the Kanaplex to her water.  

Fantailfan1, thank you SO MUCH for helping me with this.  I'm sure you've got other things to do on a Friday afternoon besides helping a stranger with a fish emergency.

I'm just sitting on the floor by her tub, watching her.  I hope she improves.  She's my favorite.

Edited by Bmitchell486

IM so sorry. I hope she feels better.

I'm sorry! I agree it looks like a bacterial infection that went quickly and took over a weakened fish. Sometimes these things just move too quickly to manage :(

I'm so sorry! Hoping for a marvellous turn around

I'm so sorry too. Healing, restful vibes to you little one!

ooh I'm sorry your fish is so sick. I hope she pull through :-(

Im sorry hun :hug

I'm so sorry. Rest in peace, little one.

Thanks everyone.  I'm so glad everyone here is understanding, and not judgmental.  I'm already hard enough on myself.  The tank just isn't the same without her.

Again, thank you for the quick responses and help.

Thanks everyone.  I'm so glad everyone here is understanding, and not judgmental.  I'm already hard enough on myself.  The tank just isn't the same without her.

Again, thank you for the quick responses and help.

From this and your other thread, it sounds like you did everything you could for this fish and your other ones. I hope you are not feeling too upset with yourself.