How do these plants go with salt?

Ree

Hi I was wanting to treat my tank with some salt along with the prazi and I was wondering how my plants would go with the salt... My initial dose was going to be 0.1% but wondered if it would kill the plants... also can I go up to 0.3% and not hurt them... :hide:

Please let me know if you can!  :please

I have:

Wisteria

Corkscrew Vallineria,

Myriophyllum mattogrossense,

Echinodorus Crimson Sail,
Hornwort,
Flame Moss,
Taxiphyllum 'Mini Christmas' Moss,
Baby Tears/Micranthemum umbrosum,
Hygrophila corymbosa 'Angustifolia',
Eleocharis acicularis Hairgrass,
Subwassertang Freshwater Seaweed,
and Alternanthera reineckii.

I also wanted to get some Pheonix Moss, Ech. Frilly and a Micranthemum.

:help:

If this is just a maintenance round of prazi, you don't really need the salt.  I don't know what most of those plants are so I'm no help there.   :rofl

Hi fantailfan1 :hi   I have also had suspected bacterial infection (its for the guppy tank), so I wanted to raise the salt to at least 0.3% if possible.  Should I have posted this in the tropical section?  :peeka

They should be fine at 0.1%, but I'm not too sure about higher concentrations.

Fissidens (phoenix) is a nice moss. Have you considered Ech. Kleiner Bar? It's a very pretty echinodorus, one of my favourites. :)

They should be fine at 0.1%, but I'm not too sure about higher concentrations.

Fissidens (phoenix) is a nice moss. Have you considered Ech. Kleiner Bar? It's a very pretty echinodorus, one of my favourites. :)

Oooo Dan! I like the Ech. Kleiner Bar!  It looks pretty... might have to look into some when I get all this disease mess sorted! 

How do these plants go with Melafix or Primafix? 

No idea. I haven't had to use Melafix in a long time. The last time I did I was only keeping a few different hygrophilas, but from memory they were fine.

If you're interested in ech. plants, look up Liverpool Creek Aquariums. Jeff's nursery is up in far north Queensland. He cultivates a lot of different swords—he must have between 30-50 species growing. They make great indoor house plants too. I'm quite fond of their flowers. :)

Edited by dan in aus

No idea. I haven't had to use Melafix in a long time. The last time I did I was only keeping a few different hygrophilas, but from memory they were fine.

If you're interested in ech. plants, look up Liverpool Creek Aquariums. Jeff's nursery is up in far north Queensland. He cultivates a lot of different swords—he must have between 30-50 species growing. They make great indoor house plants too. I'm quite fond of their flowers. :)

Thanks for that Dan.  I have seen his facebook page but haven't had a chance to see if he has a webpage yet... will def look into it.  Thanks so much!

Thanks for that Dan.  I have seen his facebook page but haven't had a chance to see if he has a webpage yet... will def look into it.  Thanks so much!

His website is good, but if you join his FB auction group you can get a lot of things that aren't listed on the site. The same goes for contacting him directly. :)

His website is good, but if you join his FB auction group you can get a lot of things that aren't listed on the site. The same goes for contacting him directly. :)

Oh thankyou so much Dan... I will be sure to have a really good look.  I am going to move the plants soon (providing the fish are not still sick) and the fish to a larger tank, so I will wait till it is all set up and I can see what more would be nice.... OOOOH I cant wait!!!!  :happydance

:hi

Dave and Robin at Aquagreen are exceptionally lovely too (can't speak more highly of them). If you're chasing native plants, fish or inverts, they're the best in Australia. :)

Dave and Robin at Aquagreen are exceptionally lovely too (can't speak more highly of them). If you're chasing native plants, fish or inverts, they're the best in Australia. :)

Thanks Dan!  Can you recommend any of their low tech plants? I have seen their site but it was difficult to figure out which plants were nice on there.  I will have a more detailed look!  Thanks so much for all the tips!  :hi

Umm, sure. At the moment they don't have a lot for sale, but that will change as the weather warms up (Dave only updates stuff as 'in stock' if he has enough to support multiple orders to the general public, so sometimes it's worth asking if out of stock stuff is available). :)

Not everything here is in stock, but here are some lesser demanding plants (in order they appear on the site):

Aponogeton Tofus

Ceratophyllum demersum (hornwort)

Hydrocotyle tripartita (pennywort)

Lilaeopsis brisbanica

Any of the plants starting with "marsilea"

Vallisneria erecta

Vallisneria nana

Any of the plants starting with "aponogeton" on the non-native plants list

Bacopa Caroliniana

Any of the plants starting with "Cryptocoryne"

Any of the plants starting with "Echinodorus"

Hemianthus micranthemum

Hygrophila Difformis

Hygrophila sunset

Ludwigia repens

Rotala sp green

Any of the tiger lotuses

Java moss

Umm, sure. At the moment they don't have a lot for sale, but that will change as the weather warms up (Dave only updates stuff as 'in stock' if he has enough to support multiple orders to the general public, so sometimes it's worth asking if out of stock stuff is available). :)

Not everything here is in stock, but here are some lesser demanding plants (in order they appear on the site):

Aponogeton Tofus

Ceratophyllum demersum (hornwort)

Hydrocotyle tripartita (pennywort)

Lilaeopsis brisbanica

Any of the plants starting with "marsilea"

Vallisneria erecta

Vallisneria nana

Any of the plants starting with "aponogeton" on the non-native plants list

Bacopa Caroliniana

Any of the plants starting with "Cryptocoryne"

Any of the plants starting with "Echinodorus"

Hemianthus micranthemum

Hygrophila Difformis

Hygrophila sunset

Ludwigia repens

Rotala sp green

Any of the tiger lotuses

Java moss

Thankyou so much Dan!  I will look into these! 

Dan do you know what this plant is?  I really like it but no one knows what it is called.  If the link doesn't work for you let me know, I have downloaded the photo.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207981729048126&set=p.10207981729048126&type=3&theater

Edited by Ree

You'll have to post the image, the link won't let me see anything.

Here it is Dan, thanks again for looking!  Id love to know what it is!  :hi

12108038_10207981729048126_2341876953349

I don't know, I've spent the last 15 minutes racking my brain. I can only think of things that look similar, but not the same. If that will do, bacopa monnieri is nice and pretty easy to keep. :)

I don't know, I've spent the last 15 minutes racking my brain. I can only think of things that look similar, but not the same. If that will do, bacopa monnieri is nice and pretty easy to keep. :)

Dan is this it??? http://www.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com/store/p139/Lindernia_sp_Variegated.html

I know why you is having trouble remembering the plant name... because you forgot to take your bacopa monnieri!!!!!  :teehee

• Helper

Ree, I pretty much never treat my planted tanks with anything but prazi. My vals and crypts love to melt. Instead, I just move them to a filtered hospital tank for however long they need treating and it works just fine. The quarters are cramped but the water quality is great and then I don't have to freak out about my plants for the course of treatment.

Ree, I pretty much never treat my planted tanks with anything but prazi. My vals and crypts love to melt. Instead, I just move them to a filtered hospital tank for however long they need treating and it works just fine. The quarters are cramped but the water quality is great and then I don't have to freak out about my plants for the course of treatment.

Thanks Arctic Mama!! :yikes  That explains why my Vals are dying!!! the Prazi!  :doh11:  Never even connected to two! Thankyou so much!  Will remember not to do that again!  :hi

EDIT:  :hmm  just re read that all and now feel like a right goose!!! :peeka  Ok, not treated plants with anything but prazi... doesn't explain why my vals are dying :rofl3   OOOOOOOPPS  

Edited by Ree

• 2 weeks later...

No, lindernia have far thicker stems than that plant. The thinness of its stem reminds me of hemianthus glomeratus, but it's definitely not that.

The lady is sending me some Dan!!! I will send you up close photos when I get it :-)  Do you think it will handle the PP dips?

No, lindernia have far thicker stems than that plant. The thinness of its stem reminds me of hemianthus glomeratus, but it's definitely not that.

The lady is sending me some Dan!!! I will send you up close photos when I get it :-)  Do you think it will handle the PP dips?

Take a single stem and test it out. I tend to be less cautious. I've bleached plants knowing full well they'll melt off a bit. They grow back. :rofl

Take a single stem and test it out. I tend to be less cautious. I've bleached plants knowing full well they'll melt off a bit. They grow back. :rofl

:yikes .... :teehee   ok I will take a stem and see what happens!!!  I send you a close up photo when I get them (before they have melted off :teehee ) so you can see it better.   Thanks for your help.  :hi