• * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? 23
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 600 Litres, over a year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Canisters for a total of 5200LPH
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every week, 70-90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 Days ago, 70%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 Between 2-6 inches approx SL
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A, Bloodworms, Seaweed, NLS Algae Gel/Nutri gel, bloodworms. Mix it up each day between 2-3 times a day. They get pellets every day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. They had 6 rounds of Prazi approx 3 months ago
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Chunk of tail missing
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Behaving Normally

So I saw something laying on the bottom of the tank...I scooped it out and realized it was a piece of tail...I could tell it was Lukas from the colouring and size so looked and sure enough he has a chunk missing. It looks like its been torn or cut. Nothing sharp in the tank though. It was laying underneath the filter intake.

Would just salt be enough to help? Can I do so in the main tank? It looks more like an injury though I don't know how he got it.

7GUi00t.jpg

8QIAD2z.jpg

cmsioGi.jpg

sr39B5i.jpg

ceCVC0y.jpg

S1BB5No.jpg

oTm1bKp.jpg

Poor boy! Do you know what could have caught him? If so, I would take it out of the tank immediately if possible or fishyproof it.

Normally I would suggest​ just clean water and time, maybe salt if you feel that he needs it, but let's wait for a mod.

Ive seen some of my fish do some silly things with the intake pipe/strainer. (But nothing quite that bad)

If he is sswimming around ok id be inclined to think hes ok and maybe some salt for a few days to reduce the chance of infection.

Is there a female in the tank? Perhaps he was "too busy" with chasing and git it caught in the intake? Or on the sharp edge of a tank brace?

I know mine will just ram away into what evers in their path and not think much about it until its too late.

??

Do you have a tank brace?

I know with my orandas that i have to keep the water level a reasonable way down from the top due to their over egerness to get to my hand for food etc and have breeched the surface of the water by their full head.

One actually cut its wen on the glass brace. So i now have the level lower for when they do this.

• Helper

If you have it, swabbing with methylene blue is my favorite injury aid, since it inhibits fungal infections. Please follow that with a .1% salt bath for two weeks. If for some reason we notice a secondary infection I will recommend furan-2, so if you have that on hand great and if not you may want to order it. But for now clean water and low salinity will do just fine.

Googles suffered an injury exactly like this a couple of years ago. I assumed his tail got caught in the intake and ripped off when he wriggled away. It was a clean break (like this one) so some salt in the tank was all that I used. I'll try and find the link...

Isn't it a horrible shock to find a separated bit if tail? Googs was just fine, so please don't worry too much :hug

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104885-torn-fin-on-bottom-of-tank/?hl=%2Bgoogs+%2Btail

This was from 3 years ago. I've re-read it and just wanted to clarify that Googs' tail healed up completely fine with the salt. The other problems I had during and after were due to his SBD which is why I put him on metromeds.

Edited by Black

Thanks Taryl. I dont have furan2 and not sure if its in aus but will look into it

I have Furan2 which I ordered from America on EBay. Hopefully you can get hold of it too. I've never used it but I have it just incase

• Supporter

Thanks guys! I wasn't too worried just wanted to make sure I didn't need to do anything special except for maybe salt.

I'm baffled as to how he did it still, but since the chunk was laying near the filter intake that's about the only thing I can think of! 

He doesn't care anyway! :rofl

• Helper

With that much trouble to order it I wouldn't bother unless you're stocking up. It is likely to heal just fine without it and there are other treatments we can sub in if needed. Don't stress about that particular medication!