Sign in to follow this  
sad_panda1890

Canister Filter...

I am looking for a canister filter and would like to know anyone option on this one. I have been seeing the National Geographic has a canister filter and it is on sale at Petsmart. I would like to know if any one had and is using what they think of it. 

i've read that the GPH should be 5 to 7 times the size of your tank.

I am in search of canister filters too. did some research and looked through reviews. Brands like Eheim & Fluval seem to be the ones people recommend the most.

I have a 55gallon, so looking for filters with 275-385 GPH. so far the best one I am looking to get is the Fluval 306 at 303 GPH. 

I have been seeing the National Geographic has a canister filter and it is on sale at Petsmart. I would like to know if any one had and is using what they think of it. 

I've looked through Petsmart while on my own canister filter search. The MARINELAND brand items are on sale. The API canister filter is on sale as well. If you're only looking at items at Petsmart, I would look into those brands over National Geographic.

I am looking for a canister filter and would like to know anyone option on this one. I have been seeing the National Geographic has a canister filter and it is on sale at Petsmart. I would like to know if any one had and is using what they think of it. 

Hello there,

Tried using this, and its great.. I bought the CF80 which is $82 on sale. outflow was nice. I like the aesthetics too.. clear canister body..(you can see the water flowing inside :) )  It's really a nice CF because of the thin intake tube and outflow tube which really disguises it.. and reduces clutter inside your tank.  Also the hoses are thin.. which I find really easy to install.. It really is quiet too... and just consumes 13W..

Performance wise, like I've said it was excellent... keeps a tank clean.. :) good outflow,powerful pump, low noise emission, and good quality materials..

Only negative thing I can say is that the canister body itself is quite thin..and feels that it'll break when servicing it.. But this is workable, if you won't force the CF maybe it wouldn't break.. 

PS: an advice is to be careful not to carry the CF on the top handle when full of water. Might cause micro damage on the gasket between the pump head and the canister body. BTW, this is an Eheim product, which is well known for aquatic products (they just rebranded it for Petsmart, I guess?)  :)

HTH  :hi  If you have questions just do pose em.. will be glad to answer questions  :thumbup2:

Edited by Fastlane

i've read that the GPH should be 5 to 7 times the size of your tank.

I am in search of canister filters too. did some research and looked through reviews. Brands like Eheim & Fluval seem to be the ones people recommend the most.

I have a 55gallon, so looking for filters with 275-385 GPH. so far the best one I am looking to get is the Fluval 306 at 303 GPH. 

I have been seeing the National Geographic has a canister filter and it is on sale at Petsmart. I would like to know if any one had and is using what they think of it. 

I've looked through Petsmart while on my own canister filter search. The MARINELAND brand items are on sale. The API canister filter is on sale as well. If you're only looking at items at Petsmart, I would look into those brands over National Geographic.

I have a 75 gallon with an aqua clear 110 on it and a couple of sponge and I would like to add another filter on it. I was thinking about the the marineland but I was curious about the other ones

Hello there,

Tried using this, and its great.. I bought the CF80 which is $82 on sale. outflow was nice. I like the aesthetics too.. clear canister body..(you can see the water flowing inside :) )  It's really a nice CF because of the thin intake tube and outflow tube which really disguises it.. and reduces clutter inside your tank.  Also the hoses are thin.. which I find really easy to install.. It really is quiet too... and just consumes 13W..

Performance wise, like I've said it was excellent... keeps a tank clean.. :) good outflow,powerful pump, low noise emission, and good quality materials..

Only negative thing I can say is that the canister body itself is quite thin..and feels that it'll break when servicing it.. But this is workable, if you won't force the CF maybe it wouldn't break.. 

PS: an advice is to be careful not to carry the CF on the top handle when full of water. Might cause micro damage on the gasket between the pump head and the canister body. BTW, this is an Eheim product, which is well known for aquatic products (they just rebranded it for Petsmart, I guess?)  :)

HTH  :hi  If you have questions just do pose em.. will be glad to answer questions  :thumbup2:

Is there a warranty on it if something happen? and how long did you have it?

If you buy it in petsmart, I think they have a warranty of 30 or 60 days..

This filter is a renamed Eheim Ecco. I personally think there are better options. Also, I have never heard of micro damage to a gasket. A gasket would receive no damage from a filter being lifted by the handle. The pressure there would be on the clamps and the handle. If there is evey any concern that any part of the filter would receive any sort of damage, micro or otherwise, from lifting it by the handle, DO NOT BUY IT, because it is a complete piece of garbage.

This filter is a renamed Eheim Ecco. I personally think there are better options. Also, I have never heard of micro damage to a gasket. A gasket would receive no damage from a filter being lifted by the handle. The pressure there would be on the clamps and the handle. If there is evey any concern that any part of the filter would receive any sort of damage, micro or otherwise, from lifting it by the handle, DO NOT BUY IT, because it is a complete piece of garbage.

Yes thank you for clarifying. Pressure on the handle and clamps it is.. Sorry in a hurry not to forget stream of thoughts.. :)

No biggie :)

I would still advise not buying anything that could be damaged by carrying it by the handle. This would indicate poor craftsmanship of the entire product.

No biggie :)

I would still advise not buying anything that could be damaged by carrying it by the handle. This would indicate poor craftsmanship of the entire product.

That does making a lot of sense why one may not buy it. so which one would you suggest then?

A decent cheap canister filter.

Aqueal midikani 800 (think they do other sizes 1200 or 500 etc? I got the 800)

Ive had mine running on a small pond for over a year. And its been great.

Huge media storage for its price.

And the pump is seperate to the canister.

So it can be placed in or out of the tank (the pump that is.)

You could also try getting a sunsun CF.. I know a lot of folks here use this brand of CF.. I personally use this..

But still it is up to you which brand you get... :)

I think a number of folks here also have Sunsuns, if Fluval/Eheim isn't doing it for you.

I dont think I know that brand. I just want to know what the options are. it can be expansive

Try searching it on Amazon or Ebay..  :thumbup2:

If you really want the Nat Geo /Eheim CF its okay too..

I dont think I know that brand. I just want to know what the options are. it can be expansive

I dont have a canister filter yet and there are plenty of option. I want to know that is good for a beginner to use.

I dont have a canister filter yet and there are plenty of option. I want to know that is good for a beginner to use.

IMO, sunsun CF is a good starter.. I think it is the cheapest in the market yet reliable.

IMO, sunsun CF is a good starter.. I think it is the cheapest in the market yet reliable.

yeah i will have to look at amazon and ebay and see if i can find anything

yeah i will have to look at amazon and ebay and see if i can find anything

As far as performance, it is an excellent CF. Some complain of the flimsy tubes. But all in all, a bang in the buck. :)

that's good. I love my babies so much. I am looking for a couple more and is excited to go home to california. i would like to see what kind of fish you have

Since we're talking about filters, I was wondering if anyone had any tips/opinions on if sunsun or fluval CFs are better? Fluvals are pretty much more pricey, so I was wondering if they also have better performance, materials or..?

I have 2 Fluval 405's so that really all I can comment on. I like them a lot. They do a great job with mechanical and biological filtration and are very easy to maintain. I do agree with the rest that SunSun seems to be a great entry level canister filter. I have no experience with them but I know of many people who use them without complaint.

Since we're talking about filters, I was wondering if anyone had any tips/opinions on if sunsun or fluval CFs are better? Fluvals are pretty much more pricey, so I was wondering if they also have better performance, materials or..?

yeah I thought about getting just a Fluval but the price is the thing that is keeping me away from them

yeah I thought about getting just a Fluval but the price is the thing that is keeping me away from them

This is exactly what I am doing research for now; trying to see if fluval is so much better quality and/or function that it rationalizes the considerably higher price.

(so.many.reviews xD).