Sign in to follow this  
lizam

Red spot on fin

Elton has a red spot his caudal fin right at the top of a split in the fin.  This split was there when I purchased him.  It's red and about 2-3 ml round.  I really tried to get a good pic but only have a cell phone.  In the pic where he is out of the water his fins look  pink but in the water they don't look that way.  There is some veining at the end of his fins but that has not changed since I have gotten him. 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)5
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
      • * Water temperature?74 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  29 Gallons Running since end of May.  Elton & Layla were purchased and added at the same time in mid July. 
      • * What isthe name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Aquaclears - a 70 & 50
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 2 times per week - 90%
    • Please note I am getting them a bigger tank in the next 2-3 months. 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago Oct 8th
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 goldfish around 7.5 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy, NLS - algae max or NLS - goldfish (2X per day) then as a treat a small amount of either Omega One Veggie/Mini Pellets/Seaweed.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Salt during 2 rounds of Prazi in the past 2 weeks.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Elton had splits in his fins when I bought him.  It was shown on video from RainGarden.  However his dorsal fin was damaged by a decoration that was removed when I first got him.  His caudal fins had some veining but I thought that was not too unusual because he is a white fish. 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no eating and acting normal

If necessary to quarantine I have two options:

1. Move Elton to a 10g with an aquaclear 30
  2. Move black goldfish, Layla, to other goldfish tank temporarily with 2 small goldfish and leave Elton in 29g to treat

Medications on hand:  (note I live in small town Canada)

• salt
  • Epson salt
  • Prazi
  • Triple Sulfa
  • MetroPlex
  • KannaPlex
  • Api General Cure

post-24797-0-97148700-1444514948_thumb.p

post-24797-0-47891900-1444514972_thumb.j

your video is set to Private hun :(

Sorry I only have Pimafix and not Melafix. 

I guess I am going to try doing daily water changes for a week.  When I first got them I was doing daily 80-90% water changes  for 6 weeks and they seemed to enjoy it. :)

I think I would do the same, I don't really see anything that needs attention. Just clean water, if it is fluid filled with something and the. It bursts you will want to do a large water change to get that gunk out of the water. Let us know in a few days if it gets any worse. (But if anyone on the mod team advises you differently please heed their advice)

I think I would do the same, I don't really see anything that needs attention. Just clean water, if it is fluid filled with something and the. It bursts you will want to do a large water change to get that gunk out of the water. Let us know in a few days if it gets any worse. (But if anyone on the mod team advises you differently please heed their advice)

Will do :)  Thank you!  He has not been acting any different.  If it gets worse, I will repost.

So just to update, the spot is almost completely gone.  I guess I was just worried because it was taking a while to heal and I wasn't certain what caused it.  I'm going to continue with a couple more days of big water changes but it all looks good!  He continues to be his usual active happy beautiful food seeking self. :D

Yay!

thanks for your support Lisa! :)

Sometimes just like us they bump into something or get snagged on something and will hurt there fins... Kinda like when you get a snag in your nails or something like that.... Im so glad nice clean water is doing the trick... Sometimes thats the best thing :)