Guppy problem....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would not think that the metro will kill the bio bugs, and i would not recommend the Furan-2 at this stage. just stick with the Metroplex, it's our safest bet in this situation.

Thanks Helen.... I have noticed another off colour so I will do a big water change tomorrow and dose the tank.  Thankyou  so much for your help.. and thankyou to Narny too.

I will keep you updated with what happens.

Hope your guppies get better I'm having a huge problem with mine and I am now doen to 1 male, 2 females and maybe 5-10 fry or even less and its just so frustrating

Thanks goldfishfanforever!  I hope I can get on top of this.. its heartbreaking to loose my guppy babies!!! 

Hope you can sort out what is happening with yours too!  :hi

Between us we are not going to be much competition for Koko at our next Great Guppy Count!

Edited by Ree

Helen Rocks !

Tell Narny Thank you Helen... If he needs help Helen let me know Ill help him get back in :)

Helen Rocks!  Narny Rocks!  Koko Rocks! 

I dosed the tank last night with metro.  The guppy I pulled out yesterday didn't make it.  She was sooo skinny too. 

12 hours later, I don't know if it is my imagination or not, but they all seem a little happier.  Much more interested in food, and not as lethargic.  Hopefully we are on the right track! 

Thanks so much everyone for helping.... will keep you all updated!  :bighug

Hope your guppies get better I'm having a huge problem with mine and I am now doen to 1 male, 2 females and maybe 5-10 fry or even less and its just so frustrating

Thanks goldfishfanforever!  I hope I can get on top of this.. its heartbreaking to loose my guppy babies!!! 

Hope you can sort out what is happening with yours too!  :hi

Between us we are not going to be much competition for Koko at our next Great Guppy Count!

I think I have my problem solved but I'm gonna wait till my new light arrives before I buy anymore guppies and then quarantine them

i would not think that the metro will kill the bio bugs, and i would not recommend the Furan-2 at this stage. just stick with the Metroplex, it's our safest bet in this situation.

Thanks so much Helen! 

Helen Rocks !

Tell Narny Thank you Helen... If he needs help Helen let me know Ill help him get back in :)

Okies, just a quick update.... I have been dosing the tank with the metroplex and it seems to be going well.  I haven been able to do their WC yet as my back was tooo sore and hubby is not well, but the params are still all good with nitrate being around 20, so not panicking too much.  Planning to do WC today with hubbies help.

I have dosed the metro at 2 measures for the first day, 2 measures for the second day, skip a day, 3 measures for the fourth day (I had added extra water to the tank to help with the water quality as I couldn't do their WC).  They have 0.1% salt as well. 

So far they are more active, more interested in eating, no more losses, the redness around some of the females gravid areas seems to be going, some fish it has gone altogether.  I have had 4 new babies drop 24 hours ago too. 

I added some extra plants to the tank too yesterday, some hygrophylia, a tiger lotus, and some rotala wallichii.  Hoping these all help with the water quality for them too.  I will add another airstone today when I do their WC too to see if that assists things. 

I don't think I will have enough metroplex to finish the treatment, so I have some metro tablets on their way, each tablet is 200mg.  The volume of water in the tank is somewhere between 80-90L.  How much do I dose of these and how often? 

Also I now have the pimafix too.  Should I be dosing that in addition to the metro?

Thanks again Helen, Koko and Narny for your help!!! I am feeling much better about these little guys now!!!

Edited by Ree

years ago I opened up a goldfish with no gloves (didnt know anybetter ) Now you could do is place her on a towel and use that to hold her so you dont touch her much... Then make sure you clean your hands very well.... :)

Just dont touch anything on you body while your doing this... you will okay hun :)

Ok.... me not feel too well now... ew... who would have thought one little fish could smell soooooo much!!! 

Ok no babies alive... I couldn't find any that were developed enough to even be eyes... I took photos though.  If it helps I can upload them.  Her tummy was sooooo soft it was very difficult to cut open.  inside was the eggs, yellowish, and there was a lot of pinkish puss looking goop.  I couldn't find anything inside her that looked like organs or intestines... just mush.  some dark greyish, some pale pinkish.  There was absolutely no red blood I could find.  I think I found her artery going to her what I would call ovaries/womb... and it was a very dark brown.

I don't think I will be eating fish again for a very very very very very long time.  Oh I feel off! 

I have washed my hands 5 times with hot soapy water and the last time I put some silver on my hands in with the soap and left if on for a few min before rinsing in hot water.... feel like I need a shower though.  I wish my OCD would 'go to Blaney' as my mum says.

Oh hun... Its going to be okay... Go take a shower.. Wash up good, :)

That sounds like she got a bacterial infection and it got to the eggs... Humm Im still waiting for the Mods/ Helpers to help with the other meds...

When was the last time the sponge filters where rinsed?

ok, i am speaking with kokos member and ex helper Narny105, regarding this situation.

he believes you should consider the treatment of a broad spectrum antibiotic. from your list, the Metroplex (as it is 70% Metronidazole, but not before you read below.

his personal opinion would be to wait before treating, ie, if no other fish currently is displaying symptoms, let them be and keep observing closely. reason why is that he doesn’t know of the potential effects treating pregnant fish will have on the eggs.

another thing he mentioned is that as fish become unwell, best thing to do is to remove them from the community into a hospital tank for treatment. to prevent illness spreading to the rest of the community.

he apologises as he is unable to remember his kokos password at the moment and is unable to log in to post this information himself.

Okies, just a quick update.... I have been dosing the tank with the metroplex and it seems to be going well.  Did their WC today.  Params were 0/0/30 ph8.0.  Gave the sponge filters a squeeze and also rinsed the filter floss, so will keep an eye out for a bump.

I have dosed the metro at 2 measures for the first day, 2 measures for the second day, skip a day, 3 measures for the fourth day (I had added extra water to the tank to help with the water quality as I couldn't do their WC).  3 measures for the 6th day yesterday and because I did a 60% WC added another two measures today.  They have 0.1% salt as well. 

So far they are more active, more interested in eating, no more losses, the redness around some of the females gravid areas seems to be going, some fish it has gone altogether.  I have had lots of new babies drop within the last 3 days. 

I added some extra plants to the tank too 3 days ago, some hygrophylia, a tiger lotus, and some rotala wallichii.  Hoping these all help with the water quality for them too.  I will add another airstone later after I have done goldies WC. 

I don't think I will have enough metroplex to finish the treatment, so I have some metro tablets on their way, each tablet is 200mg.  The volume of water in the tank is somewhere between 80-90L.  How much do I dose of these and how often? 

Another question is I am now seeing signs of tail growth, but also tatty tails.  One girl has a split all the way to her peduncle and others have frayed edges of their tails, girls and boys.  I now have the pimafix too.  Should I be dosing that in addition to the metro?

Thanks again Helen, Koko and Narny for your help!!!

Helen Rocks !

ok, i am speaking with kokos member and ex helper Narny105, regarding this situation.

he believes you should consider the treatment of a broad spectrum antibiotic. from your list, the Metroplex (as it is 70% Metronidazole, but not before you read below.

his personal opinion would be to wait before treating, ie, if no other fish currently is displaying symptoms, let them be and keep observing closely. reason why is that he doesn’t know of the potential effects treating pregnant fish will have on the eggs.

another thing he mentioned is that as fish become unwell, best thing to do is to remove them from the community into a hospital tank for treatment. to prevent illness spreading to the rest of the community.

he apologises as he is unable to remember his kokos password at the moment and is unable to log in to post this information himself.

Okies, just a quick update.... I have been dosing the tank with the metroplex and it seems to be going well.  Did their WC today.  Params were 0/0/30 ph8.0.  Gave the sponge filters a squeeze and also rinsed the filter floss, so will keep an eye out for a bump.

I have dosed the metro at 2 measures for the first day, 2 measures for the second day, skip a day, 3 measures for the fourth day (I had added extra water to the tank to help with the water quality as I couldn't do their WC).  3 measures for the 6th day yesterday and because I did a 60% WC added another two measures today.  They have 0.1% salt as well. 

So far they are more active, more interested in eating, no more losses, the redness around some of the females gravid areas seems to be going, some fish it has gone altogether.  I have had lots of new babies drop within the last 3 days. 

I added some extra plants to the tank too 3 days ago, some hygrophylia, a tiger lotus, and some rotala wallichii.  Hoping these all help with the water quality for them too.  I will add another airstone later after I have done goldies WC. 

Another question is I am now seeing signs of tail growth, but also tatty tails.  One girl has a split all the way to her peduncle and others have frayed edges of their tails, girls and boys.  I now have the pimafix too.  Should I be dosing that in addition to the metro?

Thanks again Helen, Koko and Narny for your help!!!

Hi Koko, Helen and Narny! 

Can I get some advice pretty please... I am now seeing splits in quite a few tails in addition to the tatters/frayed edges...  Should I add the pimafix to the metro and salt mix? 

Also I have to swap from metroplex to the metronidazole tablets 200mg each. The volume of water in the tank is somewhere between 80-90L.  How much do I dose of these and how often? 

I have dosed the metroplex at:

2 measures for the 1st day,

2 measures for the 2nd day,

skip a day,

3 measures for the 4th day (I had added extra water to the tank to help with the water quality as I couldn't do their WC), 

3 measures for the 6th day 

2 measures for the 7th day (because I did a 60% WC) ,

3 measures for today being day 9. 

They have 0.1% salt as well.

Thankyou so much!!!

• Admin

Hun lets complete one med before going to another... Sometimes if you d Med after med it makes them works... So lets just to the metroplex and salt for now... NO PRIMAFIX :)

• Admin

From Helen

"

40 litres is just a smidgen over 10 gallons. i use 200-400mg of crushed metro into 10 gallons. i supplied her with 20 tablets. you can advise her to use one tablet for every 40 litres, so for her volume of water (and since she only has 20 tablets), you can advise her to use 2.5 tablets as a full dose.

remember, it's hard to overdose metronidazole, so even if she's slightly over with her dosages, it's no issue."

"p.s i am not sure how long the metronidazole stays active in the water. i have never really looked into it because i only treat in a hospital tank and since my hospital tank does not include a filter, i wc 100% every day and add a full dose of new meds with each waterchange."

Hun lets complete one med before going to another... Sometimes if you d Med after med it makes them works... So lets just to the metroplex and salt for now... NO PRIMAFIX :)

From Helen

"

40 litres is just a smidgen over 10 gallons. i use 200-400mg of crushed metro into 10 gallons. i supplied her with 20 tablets. you can advise her to use one tablet for every 40 litres, so for her volume of water (and since she only has 20 tablets), you can advise her to use 2.5 tablets as a full dose.

remember, it's hard to overdose metronidazole, so even if she's slightly over with her dosages, it's no issue."

"p.s i am not sure how long the metronidazole stays active in the water. i have never really looked into it because i only treat in a hospital tank and since my hospital tank does not include a filter, i wc 100% every day and add a full dose of new meds with each waterchange."

Thankyou so much Koko!  Will keep going as planned then!

I have dosed the metroplex at:

2 measures for the 1st day,

2 measures for the 2nd day,

skip a day,

3 measures for the 4th day (I had added extra water to the tank to help with the water quality as I couldn't do their WC), 

3 measures for the 6th day 

2 measures for the 7th day (because I did a 60% WC) ,

3 measures for the 9th day

3 measures for the 11th day

3 measures for the 13th day today. 

And 0.1% salt.  :-)

I did have another guppy pass but he was a boy and very skinny.  He just wouldn't eat.  I don't know why.  Maybe too busy making tails at the girls?  I separated him but he still wouldn't eat.  He is the only one affected like this so far.

The girls all look good still... tummys getting HUGE!!! and lots of new babies dropping every couple of days.  Their tails seem to be colouring up again where they were fading. 

How long should I treat the metro for in total?  I am up to day 13 today.

Thankyou so much for your help Koko!!! Very much appreciated!!!  :hug  :hug  :hug :hug  :hug  :hug  

Got my new tank light so I can try and get pics of my make, 2 female and I think 3 baby guppies for you :)

YAY!!! Id love to see them!! Can you PM me the link to your thread when you upload them!!!  :happydance

Got my new tank light so I can try and get pics of my make, 2 female and I think 3 baby guppies for you :)

YAY!!! Id love to see them!! Can you PM me the link to your thread when you upload them!!!  :happydance

Will do :) also turns out I have 5 fry :)