Guppy problem....

If is SS it should be a problem... That is you are sure it is 100% SS hun

When you siphon the sand how far down do you go?

Hi Koko, what is SS? sorry Im not sure of the abbreviation. 

I syphon down about a cm, sometimes more sometimes less depending on where the plants are. 

I have just given them another 70% WC and a dose of prazi.  I have been watching and no one else seems to be developing any symptoms yet.  Peppy seems a little better too. 

The little guppy passed away yesterday.  She was just too sick I think.  :bye2:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Koko, what is SS? sorry Im not sure of the abbreviation. 

I syphon down about a cm, sometimes more sometimes less depending on where the plants are. 

I have just given them another 70% WC and a dose of prazi.  I have been watching and no one else seems to be developing any symptoms yet.  Peppy seems a little better too. 

The little guppy passed away yesterday.  She was just too sick I think.  :bye2:

You mean Stainless steel!!! DOH!!!! :doh11:  I  am just a weeeeeeeeee bit slow today arent I? :teehee

Um it was sold to me as stainless steel and it hasn't any rust marks on it at all.  Not 100% sure, but if its not SS me will be not happy... I don't suppose there is a way to check if it is stainless steel or not?

These are the listings I bought

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191570553541?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201305387733?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191543258310?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So will ss be a problem then? or will it be ok?  I guess if I have another fish get sick I could remove it and see if that helps?

Edited by Ree

My research into it stated that stainless steel submerged underwater can get rust if it is in a low oxygen, low current, high waste environment. I doubt that your guppy tank provides those conditions as those are the same conditions that cause anaerobic bacteria to grow which can potentially be far worse than rust on the stainless steel.

Hmmm I am wondering if this is a fit for my problems?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_hemorrhagic_septicemia

Viral hemorrhaigic septecemia

Fish that become infected experience hemorrhaging of their internal organs, skin, and muscle. Some fish show no external symptoms, but others show signs of infection that include bulging eyes, bloated abdomens, bruised-looking reddish tints to the eyes, skin, gills and fins. Some infected fish have open sores that may look like the lesions from other diseases or from lamprey attacks.[40]

There may also be a nervous form of the disease where fish are constantly flashing and showing abnormal behaviour

I have just started treating the tank again for flashing behaviour... and some are now bottom sitting some of the time..... hmmmmm 

• Admin

Well I do think there is a bacterial infection... Do know if its viral or not...

I forgot what else is in this tank.. cause Im thinking maybe a salt and Melafix or Primafix route :)

Well I do think there is a bacterial infection... Do know if its viral or not...

I forgot what else is in this tank.. cause Im thinking maybe a salt and Melafix or Primafix route :)

Um there is the guppies... a peppermint BN pleco.... quartz sand....

and these plants:

Wisteria

Corkscrew Vallineria,

Myriophyllum mattogrossense,

Echinodorus Crimson Sail,
Hornwort,
Flame Moss,
Taxiphyllum 'Mini Christmas' Moss,
Baby Tears/Micranthemum umbrosum,
Hygrophila corymbosa 'Angustifolia',
Eleocharis acicularis Hairgrass,
Subwassertang Freshwater Seaweed,
and Alternanthera reineckii.

Koko I can do 0.1% salt apparently fine with these plants...  http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/122891-how-do-these-plants-go-with-salt/#entry1941922

yup yup

Ok I probably wont get it till Tuesday/wed next week if I order it today.  Could I use betta fix in the meantime?  or different thing?

I also have on hand Metroplex, ployguard, kanaplex, oxytetracycline hydrochloride (Oxymav B for birds), Blue planet trisulfa tablets, Wardleys promethyasul, and API Bettafix. 

• Admin

yup yup

Ok I probably wont get it till Tuesday/wed next week if I order it today.  Could I use betta fix in the meantime?  or different thing?

I also have on hand Metroplex, ployguard, kanaplex, oxytetracycline hydrochloride (Oxymav B for birds), Blue planet trisulfa tablets, Wardleys promethyasul, and API Bettafix. 

With the pleco in there I would want to wait on the Primafix... Un less a mod thinks one if your meds would work, let me see. hun :)

yup yup

With the pleco in there I would want to wait on the Primafix... Un less a mod thinks one if your meds would work, let me see. hun :)

Hi Koko, I just discovered Little Mama dead too.... same sort of thing by the look of it...  I think I can see babies though and I don't know wether to try to save them or if they will be as sick as her.  I also don't have any gloves to use either for handling her.  Hubby can get some for me but not for at least another 8 hours or so.  Ill upload Little Mamas photos so you can see in a min... just waiting for photobucket. 

I feel so sad.  Poor little guppies.

Hi here she is.... Little Mama.  She was fine this morning when I fed them around 5am and 11am... then I just went to feed them again and she is gone. 

Her tummy seems to have gone white/slimy but it seems to be in a distinct area.... like she was held by her tail and dipped in slime or hot water and got cooked.  Her tummy is very soft and squishy.  Her tail is in tatters too, which it wasn't this morning.

Her left side

P1090137%202_zpsdrcuatq7.jpg

Her Right side

P1090131%202_zpstipeppuu.jpg

Her tail

P1090133%202_zps1jkjdhnd.jpg

and I think I can see baby eyes through a stretched area in her lower tummy

P1090134%202_zpshgu8hiax.jpg

Should I go ahead and try and save them?

Edited by Ree

WOW hun... you could try and save them, dont know if they would be alive since shes been dead for a while....

Can you show me a tank photo again hun?

Ill just go get it for you. Thanks Koko.. do you think it would be safe to do it without gloves?

• Admin

WOW hun... you could try and save them, dont know if they would be alive since shes been dead for a while....

Ill just go get it for you. Thanks Koko.. do you think it would be safe to do it without gloves?

years ago I opened up a goldfish with no gloves (didnt know anybetter ) Now you could do is place her on a towel and use that to hold her so you dont touch her much... Then make sure you clean your hands very well.... :)

Just dont touch anything on you body while your doing this... you will okay hun :)

years ago I opened up a goldfish with no gloves (didnt know anybetter ) Now you could do is place her on a towel and use that to hold her so you dont touch her much... Then make sure you clean your hands very well.... :)

Just dont touch anything on you body while your doing this... you will okay hun :)

Ok Koko, Thankyou.

Here are the whole tank photos... Please excuse my messy kitchen... its been one of those days and the kitchen is soooooo small... literally just enough room for a sink and a chopping board.  I can move the mugs and get a better shot of the sand if you need it, just let me know.

P1090146%202_zpsv4hoigds.jpg

P1090147%202_zps17yu8mfo.jpg

P1090149%202_zpss5mdr432.jpg

P1090148%202_zpsumws2ybk.jpg

Edited by Ree

Ok.... me not feel too well now... ew... who would have thought one little fish could smell soooooo much!!! 

Ok no babies alive... I couldn't find any that were developed enough to even be eyes... I took photos though.  If it helps I can upload them.  Her tummy was sooooo soft it was very difficult to cut open.  inside was the eggs, yellowish, and there was a lot of pinkish puss looking goop.  I couldn't find anything inside her that looked like organs or intestines... just mush.  some dark greyish, some pale pinkish.  There was absolutely no red blood I could find.  I think I found her artery going to her what I would call ovaries/womb... and it was a very dark brown.

I don't think I will be eating fish again for a very very very very very long time.  Oh I feel off! 

I have washed my hands 5 times with hot soapy water and the last time I put some silver on my hands in with the soap and left if on for a few min before rinsing in hot water.... feel like I need a shower though.  I wish my OCD would 'go to Blaney' as my mum says.

• Admin

Ok.... me not feel too well now... ew... who would have thought one little fish could smell soooooo much!!! 

Ok no babies alive... I couldn't find any that were developed enough to even be eyes... I took photos though.  If it helps I can upload them.  Her tummy was sooooo soft it was very difficult to cut open.  inside was the eggs, yellowish, and there was a lot of pinkish puss looking goop.  I couldn't find anything inside her that looked like organs or intestines... just mush.  some dark greyish, some pale pinkish.  There was absolutely no red blood I could find.  I think I found her artery going to her what I would call ovaries/womb... and it was a very dark brown.

I don't think I will be eating fish again for a very very very very very long time.  Oh I feel off! 

I have washed my hands 5 times with hot soapy water and the last time I put some silver on my hands in with the soap and left if on for a few min before rinsing in hot water.... feel like I need a shower though.  I wish my OCD would 'go to Blaney' as my mum says.

Oh hun... Its going to be okay... Go take a shower.. Wash up good, :)

That sounds like she got a bacterial infection and it got to the eggs... Humm Im still waiting for the Mods/ Helpers to help with the other meds...

When was the last time the sponge filters where rinsed?

Oh hun... Its going to be okay... Go take a shower.. Wash up good, :)

That sounds like she got a bacterial infection and it got to the eggs... Humm Im still waiting for the Mods/ Helpers to help with the other meds...

When was the last time the sponge filters where rinsed?

Thanks Koko.. I is all clean now... but my OCD says I should still be scrubbing... rational brain says that I should leave a few layers of skin in tact. 

I rinsed the sponge filters 4 days ago in old tank water.... squeezed them gently till nothing more came out... boy they can hold a lot!!!  I rinse them each time I do a WC.  

The overhead sump filter I rinsed the top floss 11 days ago and the under floss 25 days ago.  The under floss is due to be rinsed on Tuesday. 

• Supporter

ok, i am speaking with kokos member and ex helper Narny105, regarding this situation.

he believes you should consider the treatment of a broad spectrum antibiotic. from your list, the Metroplex (as it is 70% Metronidazole, but not before you read below.

his personal opinion would be to wait before treating, ie, if no other fish currently is displaying symptoms, let them be and keep observing closely. reason why is that he doesn’t know of the potential effects treating pregnant fish will have on the eggs.

another thing he mentioned is that as fish become unwell, best thing to do is to remove them from the community into a hospital tank for treatment. to prevent illness spreading to the rest of the community.

he apologises as he is unable to remember his kokos password at the moment and is unable to log in to post this information himself.

ok, i am speaking with kokos member and ex helper Narny105, regarding this situation.

he believes you should consider the treatment of a broad spectrum antibiotic. from your list, the Metroplex (as it is 70% Metronidazole, but not before you read below.

his personal opinion would be to wait before treating, ie, if no other fish currently is displaying symptoms, let them be and keep observing closely. reason why is that he doesn’t know of the potential effects treating pregnant fish will have on the eggs.

another thing he mentioned is that as fish become unwell, best thing to do is to remove them from the community into a hospital tank for treatment. to prevent illness spreading to the rest of the community.

he apologises as he is unable to remember his kokos password at the moment and is unable to log in to post this information himself.

Hi Helen,

Please thank Narny for me!!! and thankyou too!

I noticed another female not doing to well about an hour ago so I have pulled her out already.  I will wait and see how the others go and just treat her with the metro in QT.  If I see any more coming down with anything I will treat the whole tank.  They have 0.1% salt in there already.

Will the metro kill my biobugs?  It isn't a great issue if yes as I am planning on taking down this tank and moving the guppies to my 190L once they are all well.  It has a stabilised filter on it (is the current goldies tank) so they wont have to go through the cycling.  Just want to get them all healthy first.

Thanks again Helen and Narny!  Your help is appreciated!

I forgot to mention, I was rummaging around in my cupboard and found API Furan-2 as well.  I don't know if it makes any difference to the recommended antibiotic treatment. 

Should I treat the tank with Pimafix if I don't see anyone else get sick over the next couple of days?

Also, is it safe to leave Peppy (peppermint BN pleco) in there while treating with Metro?

Thanks again!