Guppy problem....

Hi,

One of my guppies has a whitish lump coming out of her side just above and slightly behind her left pectoral fin.  The area around is slightly red esp to the front of the fin.

Ammonia Level (tank): 0

* Nitrite Level (tank) 0

• * Nitrate level (Tank) 35ish getting WC tomorrow
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH 8.0

• * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.1

•  
  •  

• Tank information:
    • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API Drops
    • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) 1000L/hr overhead sump and a twin sponge filter with a bio media cup incorporated below each sponge.
    • * Additives and conditioners: Prime
    • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): 26degC, with heater
    • * Last water change date: 8 days ago
    • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 100L.
    • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 5 adult guppies, 15 four week old guppies, 15-20 one week old guppies, one peppermint BN pleco 3inches TL, and numerous uninvited pond snails (these are being culled).
    • *What is your water change schedule? Like how much and how often? Normally do 80%+ once a week.
    •  Any new fish added into the tank: Yes 4 weeks ago
      -If Yes: Were they quarantined? No
      -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added): did to a strong colloidal silver dip before adding them to the tank and have done 3 rounds of prazi in the main tank with 3 more to go.
      * List prior health issues in tank: 4.5months ago ick outbreak treated with salt and heat, 3 weeks later had white cottony fungus appear on some fish so increased salt again and it seemed to go...4weeks later lost 15 tetras and 1bn pleco to mystery illness.  Big Mama guppy passed away 5 days ago with what appeared to be internal bleeding.
      * Medications previously added to the tank: Prazi and Salt.
      * Medications on hand: Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt, Kana Plex, MetroPlex, Prazi,
      Affected fish information:
      * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: Four times a day a small amount of either crushed NLS TheraA+ pellets or Hikari Micro pellets, and Hikari First Bites for the babies.
      * Any unusual behaviour: Some flashing noticed generally in tank hence the prazi rounds (3 done, 3 to go), some nipping amongst babies but seems like play.
      * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: Fish in question has a whitish lump protruding from her left side just above and behind the left pectoral fin, with redness within the area.
      * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: Pulled her out and she is in a 4L icecream container with 1/2t rock salt added, I don't have a heater for this tank, but it has been very hot here the last few days so water temps have been stable.
      * Current medications being used on affected fish: Salt.

Just thought I would add I have added plants in the last week and they had a 8hr PP dip before going into the tank.

I also have 7 new guppies in QT waiting to go into the tank.  I had lost two within 24hours of bringing them home.  They appear thin, and have ragged fins so I am treating them in QT with salt and prazi.  They have been in QT now for 5 days.

The babies are going out into a pond for the summer in a couple of weeks, and then will be rehomed.

This is the fish:

P1090028%202_zpstd0fc1v0.jpg

P1090025%202_zpsatvjby6v.jpg

Any ideas?  I don't want to loose her if possible.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helper

I can't really see it. Would you mind taking the picture over a black cloth or circling the affected area? It could just be a little bacterial cyst, but I'd need to see it more clearly to be sure.

Edited by Arctic Mama

• Admin

I can't really see it. Would you mind taking the picture over a black cloth or circling the affected area? It could just be a little bacterial cyst, but I'd need to see it more clearly to be sure.

Thats what I was thinking :)

Thats what I was thinking :)

Just circled it for you Koko & Arctic Mama... I don't know if this makes it clearer or not... it kind of looks fuzzy or has an opaque look to the edge of it...

P1090029%202%20writing_zpsodzgyxz1.jpg

P1090028%202_zpsspmvgjdq.jpg

P1090025%202%20writing_zpsy01a37ef.jpg

I can try to get some clearer photos in a few hours when Hubby is up to help me if you would like them?

• Helper

Yes please. I can sort of see it from the top photo but the white background makes it very difficult to assess, and can't see anything of concern from the side.

Yes please. I can sort of see it from the top photo but the white background makes it very difficult to assess, and can't see anything of concern from the side.

Ok will try to get photos when hubby is up and about.  I hurt my back again and cant lift my arms up at the moment, but he will helps... he is a treasure!!!!

Hi, I got a couple more photos.  But I don't know that they are any clearer.... I will try again with hubbies help. 

She seems not to be eating and is stressed being out of the main tank.  I am trying to keep her in the dark to reduce the stress as much as possible.

P1090046%203_zpsnq9kccpn.jpg

P1090039%202_zpsaj7t5m8w.jpg

• Helper

I wouldn't be overly concerned - you can swab the affected area directly with method blue or colloidal silver, keep the water impeccably clean, and just observe for the time being.

I wouldn't be overly concerned - you can swab the affected area directly with method blue or colloidal silver, keep the water impeccably clean, and just observe for the time being.

Could I return her to the main tank or just keep her in QT for the time being.  She still hasn't eaten anything and gets frantic if I go near the box.  I have some colloidal silver.  If I cant swab, she is flighty and little and squirmy, then I will do a silver dip and remove the salt from her QT until I hear from you then. 

Thankyou so much Arctic Mama! :hi

Ok just went to do her water change and she has internal bleeding to 20% approx. of her body (cant get the photos to show the full extent of her bleeding).  It doesn't look like the skin is broken except maybe perhaps where the first little lump was?  She still hasn't eaten.  I didn't notice any internal bleeding when I did her dip and WC just after your last message.  There was no way I could even try swabbing her so I have given her one colloidal silver dip and she is in another as we speak.  I will try to get better photos but cant till hubby can help...

I have a feeling that she will end up like Big Mama who died of internal bleeding in the same area... a few days ago.

P1090065%202_zpsw77cm4jb.jpg

P1090064%202_zpsdunm3qgx.jpg

I have been doing WC every 24hours for her, sometimes every 12 if I can.  I have been very careful with her too, picking her up in a clear plastic cup when she swims inside it. 

Here are the photos of Big Mama in case you can see a link.

P1070893%202_zpsk0g3ib8e.jpg

P1070891%202_zps9zoeqtkd.jpg

P1070886%202_zpsstss4xgm.jpg

P1070885%202_zpszyrwb4xy.jpg

P1070884%202_zpsivsxw91d.jpg

P1070883%202_zps5yi40dsi.jpg

Edited by Ree

• Admin

Im starting to think you got a bacterial infection going on... Im worried about that ship in there.....Im wondering if you got a stagnate spot in the tank now :o

Im starting to think you got a bacterial infection going on... Im worried about that ship in there.....Im wondering if you got a stagnate spot in the tank now :o

maybe... Ive taken out all the pots bar one and I have increased the sand depth, but that was after this one got sick.  There is holes in the ship to let air out of the head of the horse... I might take it out and see what happens for a few days... what else should I do?

I have the new guppies to go in the tank soon and another bunch on the way so I don't want to loose them all....

Edited by Ree

OK, can you see any other stagnant spot possibilities?  :undecided:  Please excuse my very messy kitchen.

I have noticed the last week or so that Peppy (peppermint BN pleco) is also off colour... as in her normal jet black skin has brownish bands across her body...

whole tank shot

SANY1122%202_zpsjjkebfga.jpg

SANY1128%202_zpsf2dezxij.jpg

Guppies :wub:

SANY1136%202_zpso0cn2tyx.jpg

This is the new sponge filter I got... BIOSPON BS-58L Sponge Bio Filter

SANY1134%203_zpsurybjebx.jpg

SANY1132%202_zpsye9b2lcy.jpg

SANY1127%202_zpsqhwamkxo.jpg

SANY1126%202_zpsoaxllk4d.jpg

Hubby just got up so helped me take the ship out as I cant lift at the moment or get my arms up high enough to get them in the tank.

Tank with ship removed... added a terracotta pleco hide for Peppy

SANY1141%202_zpsrftyfyfm.jpg

Edited by Ree

Morning Koko!  Was just thinking... my mosses are on stainless steel mesh... could that be the problem? 

I also noticed the new guppies fins are healing quite well now, and my back is rotten so I have put them into the main tank with a couple of drops of silver.  Will do a big WC in a couple of days too, just let them settle in first.

I have been keeping an eye on them all and I haven't noticed anyone else with any redness or bumps/fuzz.  Could this be why I lost all my tetras and my first BN pleco?

Peppy seems a little more her normal self colourwise, but is skitsh because her hide was the ship... she is not sure what to do with herself now.  I put a pleco hide in but it apparently isn't to her taste... the pleco hide is closed ended though, so will that cause a problem with stagnating water?

Thanks again Koko! 

Edited by Ree

If the Pleco is affected you may wanted to wipe down your walls so nothing is growing on the biofilm. How often do you disturb your substrate?

Hi bodoba!  :hi

I vacuum the substrate thoroughly every week when I do the WC.  I try to get the top layer of sand to come up the syphon a little way just to make sure I am getting all the gunk.  I wiped all the walls down with the last WC (two days ago) just in case that was the problem.  I am going to do another really big WC tomorrow and get hubby to help me and wipe the walls down again and give the filter floss a gentle swish again (I usually do this every second week). 

I am beginning to wonder if my filter might be partly the culprit.  It is a overhead sump, but I have to have the flow really slow or it overflows back into the tank before it gets through the filter.  I propped it up on the inlet side to help the flow to the outlet, but it still will overflow if the flow is increased.  I added the extra sponge filter to help with the detritus load.  It gets cleaned each WC.

Edited by Ree

Since you have a sponge and a sump, how does your water circulate?

I have the sponge on the same wall of the tank as the filter inlet.  The floor of the tank has been a lot cleaner since I put the sponge in, in addition to the overhead  sump filter.  The outlet for the sump filter is on the farthest side of the tank to the sump inlet and the sponge filter.  I have noticed one spot where a small amount of detritus accumulates so I will pop another airstone in today to see if that helps.  Is that what you were meaning bodoba? :help: