Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

Another floating pond baby...what causes this?

No, rust wouldn't do this. More likely it is an anaerobic infection like aeromonas or pseudomonas, and treatment doesn't always work in time if the fish is weakened.

So there is nothing I need to do for the 700 gallon pond?  I just wait and see and hope no one else is affected?

Yup. It's unlikely to be an issue given he current symptoms. But if something shows up we will respond as needed.

I'm sorry it's not super clear. I know that that can sometimes make people feel nervous or helpless. :hug

One thing that worries me is if I don't know what happened to her...what about my other 30 fish...are they going to be okay?  I noticed today that the hose clamps on my pumps are metal and they have a lot of rust on them.  Could that have caused a problem?  Do they make plastic hose clamps?  I'm not sure that 2 rusted hose clamps in a 700 gallon pond would cause a problem...but it doesn't hurt to replace them with plastic if they make them.

The rust won't hurt the fish, but will eventually destroy the clamp.  You can get stainless steel clamps.

I put the epsom in last night.  Today is the last day I'm supposed to have the Kanaplex in the tank (6 days).  Should I redose it anyway?  I'm still using the metro as well. 

This morning she had a long skinny white thread like poop.  I was able to get her to eat 16 bloodworms today.  6 at one time and 10 at another.  The first ones were hard to get her to eat...I had to rub them against her lips and eventually she would open her mouth and take it in.  Now she is grabbing at them more aggressively.  This is the first she has eaten since she has come inside.  This afternoon she has a thread like poop again, but it is brown now.

The red spot on her side is still getting bigger I think.  It definitely hasn't gotten better.  I put her underneath a floating frog in her tank.  It holds her down under the water but the frog is touching her skin so I don't even know if this will make it worse or better.  What do you think?  Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.  Is there anything other than vaseline I could put on her skin?  Has anyone actually successfully gotten vaseline on a small fish?  Would love to see how this is done...I feel so bad for her because it looks very ouchy.  Ooooh...maybe I could put vaseline on the bottom of the frog?

Here is a video of the frog and her underneath it:

http://vid1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/MVI_5162_zpszj6x1w4s.mp4

Edited by Kayla102968

Here is her first normal poop since she's come inside.  She has had about 20 bloodworms today.  I gave her the 4th dose of Kanaplex even though the bottle says to only do 3 doses maximum.  She is also still in Metro (day 7) and epsom for the second day.

Here is the poop photo:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_5172_zpsye8qdjmf.jpg

She is still stuck to the top of the tank.  I didn't feed her anymore after I cleaned out the tank last night and this morning there was a lot of poop.  She did eat over 20 blood worms yesterday so I guess this is the result (along with yesterdays poop).  This morning I gave her 10 more bloodworms.  Any idea how many she needs in a day?  Her red mark looks about the same.  I'm not very confident she will ever be able to swim again :(.  She seems just like the other yearling I had that ended up after 14 days of metro still floating.  She did not develop any red spots from floating and passed away on day 14 only because she got caught up on a plant during the night and was unable to get back in the water :(.  Do you think there is any hope that this one may still improve?

Here are todays pics of lots of poop, red mark and her floating:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_5180_zpsgptleaz4.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_5184_zpsdzlorvmh.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/Kayla102968/IMG_5186_zpsivvlokfc.jpg

Poop looks good to me. Either the treatment works or it doesn't. If she is persistently floating afterward the recommendation is euthanization. It's a very personal choice, but if floating remains after both antibiotics and constipation treatment it is usually permanent.

Both are 14 day courses.

Both are 14 day courses.