Sign in to follow this  
fancyblackgold

Anchor Worms - a few questions

So I got new fish 14 days ago and I was pretty happy with their time in QT. Heck we are even talking about adding them to the main tank and using the filter on the fry tank.

BUT luckily my always vigilant girlfriend took a closer look last night - and the two new ranchus have a major anchor worm problem. The R/W is very badly infected and the Kirin has a few. Now I know from reading about it, that the damage is pretty much done when you see them attached to the body, and that there is only a few things you can do. I never had this before, so I know it comes from the seller where I bought them. I've just written to him, because I know a fair few people who have bought fish from the same batch and tank as mine.

The QT tank is 112l tank with no light, a AM-top 3338 (rougly 600 litres per hour) and an airstone. There are only the two ranchu in the tank. I change water once a week and add AquaSafe. When I noticed the "worms", I added salt to the tank and the first dose of a Antiparasite medication (for pond fish) that I luckily have on hand. Now this has the following ingridients: methylroasnilinium chloride, malachite green oxalate, methrylthionium chlorite, acriflavinium monochlorite and propylene glycol. It is a 7 day treatment and I just added it yesterday.

I'm going to remove the "worms" that I can see on the fish and deep clean the tank, plus do a waterchange and empty the filter for water. Then I'm going to continue the treatment and adding salt to the tank after the WC.

So to my questions, as this is the first time experiencing this.

How long till the eggs and worms are gone?

What measures can I take, before adding the new fish to the main tank?

How should I handle the filtermedia? (we need the filter for the fry tank)

Any other treatments I can use? Remember that I'm in a country without any medication for fish, that you Americans can buy.

The only other medication that I have is Maracyne, Fish Protector and Esha 202 and Exit. Is any of this worth using?

Any other tips for treatment?

Hope they feel better.

They are in great shape, all things considering. I removed roughly 15 worms from them today and despite a few red spots with blood and swelling, they are looking good. Pooping and eating, plus being active. I think it went well.

How upsetting :(

I'm glad the worms got noticed before the ranchu joined your other fish.

Can you by any chance get dimlin? :idont

Can you by any chance get dimlin? :idont

Doubt it! We can only get Eha exit and 202!

I'd look at eBay and consider having it shipped to you, if at all possible. It is an inexpensive medication but extremely effective. The other thing I'd do, immediately, is call around to the local vets and let them know your problem. You may be able to get a dewormer of the appropriate class by prescription without much trouble.

Dimilin is diflubenzarone. You want a medicine with this ingredient.

I found this on Amazon Denmark http://www.amazon.de/Wurmmittel-Diflubenzuron-hocheffiziente-Wurmbeseitigung-Teichfischen/dp/B00DI72VZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443991066&sr=8-1&keywords=diflubenzuron

Unfortunately I can't read Danish so I can't tell if this is for aquatic use, but there appears to be a picture of an anchor worm on that page. Search Amazon for diflubenzuron.

I looked over that page again, the product looks like it is for aquatic use. I see words like koi and Goldfischbesatz. Good sign!

Good find, Lisa!

I found this on Amazon Denmark http://www.amazon.de/Wurmmittel-Diflubenzuron-hocheffiziente-Wurmbeseitigung-Teichfischen/dp/B00DI72VZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443991066&sr=8-1&keywords=diflubenzuron

Unfortunately I can't read Danish so I can't tell if this is for aquatic use, but there appears to be a picture of an anchor worm on that page. Search Amazon for diflubenzuron.

Thnx for this :) But that is German :D hahaha... sorry I couldn't help myself :)

An update on the fish and tank:

Did a 98% WC and cleaning of the tank. Only the water in the filter remained. Added salt and Fish Protector to the water.

I removed some 15 "worms" from the two fish. They do have red patches where the worms were, but no bleeding. And no viseable worms at this point.

The R/W does have two white spots on his eye, which he didn't have when I first got him - are these worms too?

Both fish are active, eating and pooping - which I take as a very good sign. Will still come up begging for food :)

And could someone answer my questions in the original post? Thank you in advance.

I think you should do 100% full water changes because the worms are free swimming parasites until they find a host.

Thnx for this :) But that is German :D hahaha... sorry I couldn't help myself :)

Bummer.

Lufenuron (thanks QandD) is the other option if diflubenzuron is not available. Neither of those ingredients is in the medication you are using or any of the meds you posted. These ingredients are the ones we know that deal with anchor worm. There are probably others. You can google the ingredients listed on the med you are using to see if they deal with anchor worms.

If you can't get those meds, I'd continue your 7 days treatment then observe for up to two weeks to make sure there are no more that hatch from eggs. The eggs may survive treatment.

The QT needs to thoroughly be disinfected after treatment. Get rid of filter media.

I think you should do 100% full water changes because the worms are free swimming parasites until they find a host.

Already did that - well 98%. I'm keeping an eye on them to see if there is any more adult worms.

Bummer.

Lufenuron (thanks QandD) is the other option if diflubenzuron is not available. Neither of those ingredients is in the medication you are using or any of the meds you posted. These ingredients are the ones we know that deal with anchor worm. There are probably others. You can google the ingredients listed on the med you are using to see if they deal with anchor worms.

If you can't get those meds, I'd continue your 7 days treatment then observe for up to two weeks to make sure there are no more that hatch from eggs. The eggs may survive treatment.

The QT needs to thoroughly be disinfected after treatment. Get rid of filter media.

I can still order from there, and I understand German quite well :) but it is actually illegale to do.

I will look into if the meds I use will treat the infection or not.

The QT will be taken down after this, and cleaning. A good vinegar scrub will do the trick.

Hmm... I will do that, but not really happy with getting rid of filter media.

Do you have a pet store nearby? What are the local meds they usually stock?

I would avoid any illegal activity. If the 7 day treatment doesn't work, as bodoba suggested, I would contact local fish stores to see what they have for anchor worms.

I would avoid any illegal activity. If the 7 day treatment doesn't work, as bodoba suggested, I would contact local fish stores to see what they have for anchor worms.

As Denmark (where I live) has made a law that all medication for pets has to be approved by the goverment and live up to several rules (including Danish text on the box and describtion on how to use the medication), before it can be sold here - just about all the "normal" medication for fish has been taken off the shelfs. And the fish hobby in Denmark just isn't big enough for companies to spend all the money required to get approved. A few have changed it from medication to "water improvement", therefore Esha Exit and 202 can be bought here. But that is about it.

As Denmark (where I live) has made a law that all medication for pets has to be approved by the goverment and live up to several rules (including Danish text on the box and describtion on how to use the medication), before it can be sold here - just about all the "normal" medication for fish has been taken off the shelfs. And the fish hobby in Denmark just isn't big enough for companies to spend all the money required to get approved. A few have changed it from medication to "water improvement", therefore Esha Exit and 202 can be bought here. But that is about it.

I think Taryl mentioned this, but have you considered contacting a dog/cat veterinarian to ask about dimilin and some of the other medications suggested here? Where people can sometimes think of fish as dispensable :thumbdown , they'll usually make exceptions for larger mammals. Perhaps some of these meds are available via prescription if they are strictly regulated for over-the-counter dispensation. 

Edited by QandD

I think Taryl mentioned this, but have you considered contacting a dog/cat veterinarian to ask about dimilin and some of the other medications suggested here? Where people can sometimes think of fish as dispensable :thumbdown , they'll usually make exceptions for larger mammals. Perhaps some of these meds are available via prescription if they are strictly regulated for over-the-counter dispensation. 

So far I've only heard of one vet in Denmark (the entire country) that even treats fish. It is not a big subject here and it can be very hard to even get them in dialog or get treatment from them. Plus their knowledge is minimal

I can feel your frustration, I live in a rural area so there are no specialty vets around. I have phoned them before and asked them if they had a powdered form of dewormer (my problem was flukes) that is dissolvable for oral use. Sadly the vet did not have any. She didn't even believe me when I said that fish could get flukes and that those drugs can help them heal. I even offered to bring in slides of the slime coat and comparison photos so she could confirm a diagnosis but she refused. Maybe your vet would be willing to sell you some powdered diflubenzarone and we could help you compound it to a dissolvable form.

I think if you can't get meds it is simply a longer or maybe permanent qt. Keep on removing them when they appear and clean the tank regularly. Having two tanks side by side devoted to them may help ease the labour involved, then you can just move the fish from each tank to clean out and refill the empty one. A slide of the slime coat and a microscope would help pinpoint when they are clear, I don't know how handy you are with one of those but they are at least easier to acquire in Denmark.

Sorry for all the problems you are having treating your new fish :hug

You can use dimilin intended for dogs on your fish.  Many people have done this.

Thank you bododa and shakaho for all the suggestions. I'm on day 4 of the treatment and all is looking quite good. I haven't spotted any new adult worms on the fish, their wounds are healing VERY nicely and they are just cute awesome fish :) I'm pretty hopeful that even without additional medication it will work out.

I have a follow up question, that I need your help with.

My RW ranchu had one anchorworm that I didn't catch in the first removing process. Now it was just under the tail, between the tail and the anal fins, and I spotted it a week after removing the others. And it was very hard to remove and I didn't do the best of job to tell you the truth. Now he has a wound where the worm was/is. I'm a bit worried about it and how bad it is healing compared to the other wounds that healed quite fast and well. He has had it for a week now (roughly) and it is not going away. I can't see anything in the wound that I can remove to clear it and I was wondering what I can do?

Thank you in advance.