Pond Progress

FishyMandy

• Supporter

Still have a lot to do, but here it is at the moment. The iris bloomed today and looks really pretty.

Next thing I want to do is create something to hide the pump box/filter/hoses. Got more frogbit coming for it too

angOBxB.jpg

9kDaCnv.jpg

• Supporter

Thanks guys...here are some other photos..I moved the iris plant..am thinking of just having plants along the back of the pond there and hopefully will draw away from the flter..my azolla fern is starting to green up too

8XT99VW.jpg

hkoYnJj.jpg

nlSJiCC.jpg

SyicRy5.jpg

5G6ycwt.jpg

QSEtFWE.jpg

1rDTDTP.jpg

b6daQGY.jpg

saSgBOo.jpg

Please, move back from the pond so we can see the whole picture.  It took me several viewings to realize that what looked like sand or gravel beside the pond in the first picture was actually floating plants in the pond.  I couldn't figure out what I was looking at, LOL.

• Admin

Please, move back from the pond so we can see the whole picture.  It took me several viewings to realize that what looked like sand or gravel beside the pond in the first picture was actually floating plants in the pond.  I couldn't figure out what I was looking at, LOL.

:bingo::goodpost

• Supporter

Haha ok I'll try to get a full picture today.

• Supporter

Haha ok I'll try to get a full picture today.

I8qLHoV.jpg

I have baffled with a dustpan before. Easy to set up and it sprays the flow over a larger area. Another option would be a spray bar. Or halving the flow into a fountain head. Some of those are not very pretty set ups though so hopefully someone else can come along with more pleasing solutions. :)

I think you should be concerned about the floating plants covering the whole surface blocking gas exchange.  The usual recommendation says at least 30% of the pond surface should be plant-free.  I don't know the basis for that number, but it makes sense.  Right now it looks fine to me.  Your fish will probably discover that azolla tastes pretty good and keep it under control.

Edited by shakaho

Id leave it.

To many floating plants can cause issues like shakaho said.

Also of the entire surface is covered, you will never see your fish and it will be an unhappy ponding experience.

Aleast atm your filter return is keeping an area clear of it.

And as i mentioned in your other thread i don't think netting would work well on your pond as it would be even harder to see/enjoy your fish. And the plants would have the net resting on them.

Fishing line would probably work better. (If you're worried)

• Supporter

Okay so I've now got shade and netting..the netting is only temporary until I get fishing line and isn't attached properly but is staying put...of course I'm going to be watching it but I should have the fishing line sometime soon anyway. I mainly need to weigh it down on the right hand side for now I think I removed the last bit of the filter outlet so that it splashes even when the pond is completely full. I introduced Tiger, Honey and Tiny and they went straight to the plants...I think they are going to have a field day! They look very happy.

I'm wondering whether I should put shade cloth down the left side as well...the other side is shaded mostly anyway, but at the same time I want them to get some sun, just not get too hot. I have a fair bit left anyway...this is the most DIY stuff I've ever done and I know it still leaves a lot to be desired but I'm pleased with it. Once I get the fishing line protection done it should look even better :D

cfkzW8d.jpg

MgCWaGV.jpg

qYgJB5H.jpg