Scared fish?

cbtejero

While I wasn't home, my parents somehow knocked on the glass of the tank really hard. not hard enough to break, but enough to startle the fish. 

They said that the comet I have in there tried to jump. There's a lid so she failed.

But ever since then (yesterday afternoon), all the fish have been trying to hide behind the plants and bottom-sitting. I usually get greeted by them when I go near the tank, so this is not their typical behavior.

Also, when it's feeding time, they don't respond to the food enthusiastically as they used to. They'll eat it if they find it. usually, they fight over it.

I've been spending more time near the tank, hoping that my presence would help them ease up.

does this kind of behavior last very long? 

Edited by cbtejero

It can last indefinitely. Goldfish have very good memories.  They can remember truamatic experiences and change thier behaviour. However time may ease things, and they may learn to trust thier surroundings again. I hope this happens with your fish, and typically I think goldfish will come around.

For example, i had the recent exeprience of having to move a particular fish around to differenct tanks over the space of one week. I'll tell you, that fish became terrified of me whenever it saw me. It would dash around and thrash around whenever i approached the tank. its been three weeks almost, and she is just now learning to trust me again.

Hoever some of my other goldfish have gone through the same netting and re-homing routine and bounce back within hours. And i've bunmped into some of my tanks with the fish freaking out but not suffering any long term behavioural changes.

So it's a tough question to answer - i hope your fish come around soon. Give them time and approach them carefully. Perform some water changes and give them a treat or two like some brine shrimp.

Staying near the tank may be keeping them in alert mode. Try and back off and give them space. make sure your fish arent hurt either, especially the one that tried to jump.

Try and have them re-pattern thier behavior to associate you with food, especially treats like brine shrimp.

Edited by apecentral

awesome! thanks everyone!

i've been leaving my hand in while slowly dropping their food so they can get used to my presence and realize that me=food.

they're gradually easing up! :thumbup2:

for sure they will  get  same behavior  prior  to the traumatic  situation  but it will take  time  ,   it happens to my fish in the past too  ,  they  will gradualy trust you again  , the  bad part  of this situation is that  when they get too scare  their  defenses fell  down  and can pick up  diseases more easy  ...  good luck 

awesome! thanks everyone!

i've been leaving my hand in while slowly dropping their food so they can get used to my presence and realize that me=food.

they're gradually easing up! :thumbup2:

Great news then! :)