Sign in to follow this  
Funfin

Koi for adoption in NY

Hello everyone,

My neighbor has gotten ill and needs to get her fish a good home. The pond is located in Brewster, NY in Putnam county.

There are about 20 fully grown koi in her pond. It's hard to get good pics. c9f79acac27f6bb3b572c5a8cdbe87f8.jpg0f80b5d425e2f7f2ef2734fa8dba1e88.jpg0fc17ea73b1be53a23845b7fe0d8b32a.jpg2d12b0d27002b544b1b58cb2b890dd78.jpg5e8acae2fef1a83b511628dffd18b80f.jpg

There are some very pretty koi with long lush tails. One chocolate brown. Three beautiful red and white one. Most are in the 8 to 12 inch range.

They are well fed and I'm keeping up on water quality.

Unfortunately I can't ship.

If you know of another site I could post on I would appreciate it. Since there's so many I think it might take several sites to rehome these fish.

Thanks

They are beautiful! If there is a craiglist for the area, I would try that.

Edited by LisaCGold

They just look like singletail goldfish to me but then again we would be able to see the barbs on koi from the pictures you took but the body shape resembles more of a singletail than that of a koi

They just look like singletail goldfish to me but then again we would be able to see the barbs on koi from the pictures you took but the body shape resembles more of a singletail than that of a koi

I'm not familiar with koi or single tail goldfish. Fancies are where my knowledge is at. Would these be feeder goldfish? I want to make I name the fish correctly.

Thanks

They look like comets/commons to me. Very pretty though!

They look like comets/commons to me. Very pretty though!

Thanks. Great to know.

Just call them pond goldfish.  The ones with long tails are called comets and the short-tailed fish are called commons.  They might have been "feeders" when she first got them, but no longer.

You might contact the Mid Atlantic Koi Club and ask if they know of anyone in your area who could take a pond full of goldfish.  

Just call them pond goldfish. The ones with long tails are called comets and the short-tailed fish are called commons. They might have been "feeders" when she first got them, but no longer.

You might contact the Mid Atlantic Koi Club and ask if they know of anyone in your area who could take a pond full of goldfish.

Thank you so much. I've got about 2 months before the pond freezes. I'm hoping for the best.....before the cold weather comes in.

Have the fish stayed in the pond through the winter in the past?  

I don't know. The husband who took care of the pond....his baby....got killed while riding his bike. Intoxicated driver hit him

The wife is very depressed and has no ability to care for them.

I have my own goldfish tank. That alone is so much work....trying to care for a large pond feels overwhelming.

The wife would like to close the pond down. In the meantime I'm taking care of the fish crew for now.

If the fish have stayed in the pond through the winter in the past, they can survive in the pond without care under ice as long as they aren't fed.  

Edited by shakaho

If the fish have stayed in the pond through the winter in the past, they can survive in the pond without care under ice as long as they aren't fed.

That's good to know. It might buy me sometime.

Edited by shakaho