Sign in to follow this  
xjasminex

Females body and tail, red veins and more.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)- 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)- 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)- Around 5-20, the colors are hard to read but def not more than 20ppms.
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)- 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)- 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)- 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH- about 8, KH about 7gtts and GH about 10-11gtts
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH- about 8, KH about 10gtts abd Gh about 9-10gtts
  • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API.
    • * Water temperature? Between 70-75
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Heavily planted 55 gallon tank up for longer than 5 years.
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquatop cf-500 and cf-300
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? WC done around every 3-6 days depending on my schedule.
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last WC done on thursday 9/24
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Two large fantail goldfish
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Safe and a wondershell
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? A mix of kens veggie sticks, NLS goldfish pellet, NLS thera+A and hikari purple bag. They get repashy every now and then too.
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? No.
    • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I dosed the tank a couple of months ago with powdered prazi to try to treat for this same problem for a week. anything before i cant remember.
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red veins and spots on body and tail. Fraying fins.
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? They rest alot, i wouldn't call it bottom sitting. Sometimes i notice flashing behavior.

For a couple of months now my female goldfish has been getting red spots and increased red veins in her tail. The spots would come and go and her tail would get better and get worse. It is becoming increasingly worse and started to fray and appear to erode away over some time. I have increased water changes and have been checking parameters thinking that is the source. I added additional plants to the top of my tank but the problem just continues. I have cleaned my filters too to try and see if thats the problem.

I have a massive amount of nematodes living in my dirt substrate but was told here once that that probably wasnt hurting them.

So im at a loss now and need some assistance. These fish are getting to be elderly...around 7-8 years of age too so i wonder if age isnt a factor in her inability to get better.

Pics and videos to come.

Also i placed both of my fish in a 3% salt bath for 5mins then placed them in a 29 gallon QT.

On hand i have metronidazole powder, kanaplex powder, amoxacillin 500mg caps, prazipro liq, aqua-prazi powder, pimafix, melafix and koi clay.

I have the ability to get anything on amazon, if its prime i can have it in two days =]

Hmmmmm . . . . that is a lot of redness.  Are they eating OK?

When you treated with prazi did you do it in the main tank?

Ok, so I guess you guys could see the video!

Yes, I did do it in the main tank.

And yes they have been eating good.

Ok, so I guess you guys could see the video!

Yes, I did do it in the main tank.

And yes they have been eating good.

Just as a back up may I suggest Silver...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011DN7YQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001N1EOR0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DYK71DX1C3JZX7XQA95

or a 500ppm one....

Oh and if you can... try and get a photo of the fins but kinda hold the fish up so we can see the underside of the fins.... Like this

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/122101-another-eye-blister/?p=1937982

I want to see if its like Google under there  :o

I can do that. I will get my better camera out and put her in the 2.5 gallon.

I'll go ahead and buy some silver then too.

Thanks!

The redness is much much less today after having the salt bath and being in 0.01% salt.

I fed them today too, The female didn't eat anything and the male had a little bit of repashy. I soaked the food in garlicguard to see if that might help. I will try again tomorrow.

I also just did two 85% water changes on the QT in succession and raised the salt content up to 0.02%.

Edited by xjasminex

The redness is much much less today after having the salt bath and being in 0.01% salt.

I fed them today too, The female didn't eat anything and the male had a little bit of repashy. I soaked the food in garlicguard to see if that might help. I will try again tomorrow.

I also just did two 85% water changes on the QT in succession and raised the salt content up to 0.02%.

Good work keep it up if thats working hun.... Keep us posted.. Im worried about your guy :(

Thanks, koko. Me too....i think it has something to do with her older age.

Plus since she got better looking right away in QT it makes me think something in the tank is bothering her other than any water parameters.

When i pulled her out of the main tank to put her in QT my ramshorn snails and MTS where on her tail. Im assuming they were eating it. Which in my mind would account for the immediate reduction in redness. In general that shouldn't be happening. She should not sit still enough for them to do that unless she really doesn't feel well.

Im going to be moving to the other side of town next month too and im afraid the move will be too stressful for them. Im also going to clear the main tank for the move, i want to make some changes to my filtration. Hopefully for the better. I think my upflow biofilter might be to dirty for them...so im going to ditch that and just go with riparium plants to reduce nitrates naturally in addition to the aquarium plants.

They didn't eat a lot today either. They would pick up and spit out.

I'm currently finishing up on two 85% WCs right now.

My females redness is about the same as yesterday.

Thanks for all your help!

How we looking?

Doing well today, redness is about the same. They did eat some today, a little repashy and some pellets.

And otherwise they are acting normal. I might have seen the female flash but that was it. Nothing consistent.

I got the silver today too.

Doing well today, redness is about the same. They did eat some today, a little repashy and some pellets.

And otherwise they are acting normal. I might have seen the female flash but that was it. Nothing consistent.

I got the silver today too.

Ok hun... can you do one more photo shot of the fish for me... :)

Sure, I will try tomorrow. No promises though. I work weekends, 12hr shifts and I live an hour from work. Hopefully I'll have enough time after work tomorrow.

She is still doing good. Both of their appetites are better tonight though. Started eating the repashy as soon as it sunk to the bottom.

Doing my water change for the day now.