My butterfly is NOT eating.. 8 days and counting.. :(

210 Oranda

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming you are matching the temperature of the new water to that of the tank, correct?

Adjusting temperature from faucet when doing WC's for QT tanks is irrelevant.

my tap's ph is 7.4 but after overnight de-gas with an air stone reaches 8.4

Therefore aged (tub or bucket) water reaches room temperature b4 water change

I guess the answer should be, Yes?

Edited by 210 Oranda

I'm assuming you are matching the temperature of the new water to that of the tank, correct?

Adjusting temperature from faucet when doing WC's for QT tanks is irrelevant.

my tap's ph is 7.4 but after overnight de-gas with an air stone reaches 8.4

Therefore aged (tub or bucket) water reaches room temperature b4 water change

I guess the answer should be, Yes?

yes :)

How are they doing today?

This one (below) is still alive but I doubt she's gonna come back from what she has..

She's barely moving and not longer eating (last 72hrs).. I'm really thinking to put her out of her misery

20151025_112754%20-%20Copy_zpsjyu2qsdj.j

The other one is still the same.. lethargic all day but eating worms once a day

How are they doing today?

This one (below) is still alive but I doubt she's gonna come back from what she has..

She's barely moving and not longer eating (last 72hrs).. I'm really thinking to put her out of her misery

20151025_112754%20-%20Copy_zpsjyu2qsdj.j

The other one is still the same.. lethargic all day but eating worms once a day

Okay, here's what I think.  If we were dealing with an external parasite, there would most likely be some visual signs or symptoms of irritation such as spots, excessive slime coat, heavy breathing or flashing.  So, if anything, I would guess that this is an internal issue.  You have already done a course of Metronidazole and Kanaplex, so repeating that does not seem prudent.  And, though you could try the Paraguard, I think it is more for external parasites. These fish seem stressed and weakened and I'm concerned that bombarding them with meds may just make matters worse.  The other thing is that Ken told you that sometimes these Butterflies don't adjust well to aquarium situations and behave in this lethargic manner.  It might just be a waiting game to see if they snap out of it.  The C-shaped fish has a bleak prognosis, but who knows.  He might surprise us.

If you are intent on treating, I think I would try a "very" gradual addition of salt over a few days to 0.3% while observing for signs of stress from the salt.  If they respond well to that, you could follow up later with a couple rounds of Aqua Prazi.   

Edited by Jared

PS:  Part of the reason I am suggesting the 0.3% salt and Prazi at some point is to protect your existing stock from anything these two may be carrying when and if you add them to your main tank.

How are they today?  It might be a good idea to get some soft plastic plants for your QT.  Just make sure they don't have any sharp points.  These provide cover, interest and comfort for the fish and are easy to clean and disinfect for future use.  I would especially do this if the one Butterfly dies leaving the other one alone in the QT.  I usually have one or two with a weighted base and then some floating on top to create some overhead cover.

Edited by Jared

How are they today?  It might be a good idea to get some soft plastic plants for your QT.  Just make sure they don't have any sharp points.  These provide cover, interest and comfort for the fish and are easy to clean and disinfect for future use.  I would especially do this if the one Butterfly dies leaving the other one alone in the QT.  I usually have one or two with a weighted base and then some floating on top to create some overhead cover.

Great!!.. :no:  The C shape one has become pineconed..

As you know we did not do the metro and kana together..

She's still breathing so I would like to treat her for this internal infection..

Both of the butterflies are in a 10G QT so I don't know if you want the Epsom and "whatever else meds" in the QT or in a separate bucket..

I rather to treat togehter (I already have another one w/ dropsy in a bucket) hoping that this doesn't affect the other butterfly that just started to eat.

How should I proceed ??..

20151026_143100_zpsmyi264b3.jpg

20151026_143035_zpsw0pcb83o.jpg

Edited by 210 Oranda

I've been following this thread since you started it. I really hope your fish come out alright. This must be really stressful on you as well as your fishies. *hug* Make sure you take time to relax, too.

• Helper

Baytril injections from the vet are likely the last best option at this point. That is just my opinion. Resolving the underlying husbandry or pathogen issue is the real problem to manage, but it's also harder than just treating symptoms.

Baytril injections from the vet are likely the last best option at this point. That is just my opinion. Resolving the underlying husbandry or pathogen issue is the real problem to manage, but it's also harder than just treating symptoms.

I asked my neighbor (who's a vet) and she doesn't know anyone in town that deals with GF.. I guess the demand doesn't justify the specialty

Out of curiosity, do you know the price range of this medicine?..

I'm not sure what you can do at this point.  Dropsy is a sign that the kidneys are failing.  You've already thrown a lot of drugs at these fish and more may just contribute to the kidney damage.  I really feel that the fish with dropsy is probably beyond help.  You might be better to let him go and focus your efforts on the second fish.  The treatment for Dropsy would be Epsom, Metro and either Kana or Triple Sulfa.  

I thought these guys were in a 29 gallon QT?

Edited by Jared

Resolving the underlying husbandry or pathogen issue is the real problem to manage, but it's also harder than just treating symptoms.

I agree.  I think the acquisition of new fish needs to be put on hold until the entire system (all of the aquariums) has been stabilized.  The tap water should also be tested asap as there have been so many problems with multiple fish.  The quarantine procedure also needs to be more consistent and meds should be used more thoughtfully.  There are too many balls in the air which makes it very difficult to manage.  Once you get things under control, I would strongly recommend only buying one new fish at a time, giving them a long, careful quarantine and taking great care not to cross contaminate.

Edited by Jared

• Helper

I asked my neighbor (who's a vet) and she doesn't know anyone in town that deals with GF.. I guess the demand doesn't justify the specialty

Out of curiosity, do you know the price range of this medicine?..

Last I used it was half a decade ago, but it was a very inexpensive med. Injecting a fish can be tricky because you don't want to damage their swim bladder, but a professional should be able to do it without much adieu.

I think paying the vet for his time will cost more than the medicine itself and there is no guarantee that it will work.  We had a member in London do this last year.  It was very expensive and the fish still died :(

I think paying the vet for his time will cost more than the medicine itself and there is no guarantee that it will work. We had a member in London do this last year. It was very expensive and the fish still died :(

The "C" shape one just died.. :rip:

Lets focus on the surviving one... PLEASE :(

Edited by 210 Oranda

Sorry for your loss.

I made my closing comments and recommendations for treatment in posts #131, 132, 138 and 139.  That is really all I can offer at this point.

Edited by Jared

I think paying the vet for his time will cost more than the medicine itself and there is no guarantee that it will work. We had a member in London do this last year. It was very expensive and the fish still died :(

Oh no. So sad. :( I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss.

I made my closing comments and recommendations for treatment in posts #131, 132, 138 and 139.  That is really all I can offer at this point.

Oh no. So sad. :( I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you.. :(

Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. *hug*

I hope your others all respond well to the treatments that have been recommended.

<3

Im sorry for your loss :(

Thank you.. I wish I was able to do more.. :(