My butterfly is NOT eating.. 8 days and counting.. :(

210 Oranda

Okay, proceed as indicated and check back in with us if you don't see improvement in eating by Wednesday or Thursday.

Still no eating..

I isolated her earlier in a smaller container and added some food but nothing.. today is the 12th day without food and the 4th with metro powder

Is there anything else you guys (mods) can think of to save her ??

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm intervening for ArcticMama because she is tending to sick young ones.

Can you order NLS Hex Shield? It has metro and yummy ingredients that fish find hard to resist. Let's try both this food and the metro in the water for now.

Until you get this food, can you mix some garlic with repashy, and feed your fish in a small enough container so they basically can't help but inhale the food? Or try syringe feeding your fish? There is a video of Helen doing this. I'll look for it... In any case keep the metro in the water.

I'm intervening for ArcticMama because she is tending to sick young ones.

Can you order NLS Hex Shield? It has metro and yummy ingredients that fish find hard to resist. Let's try both this food and the metro in the water for now.

Until you get this food, can you mix some garlic with repashy, and feed your fish in a small enough container so they basically can't help but inhale the food? Or try syringe feeding your fish? There is a video of Helen doing this. I'll look for it... In any case keep the metro in the water.

Hi Lisa..Thank you for "jumping in" ..

I don't know if I explained this before but Im gonna shoot a video tomorrow morning to illustrate

This butterfly doesn't even go near the food.. food hasn't touch her mouth in at least 7 days..

as soon as the food comes down from top, she runs away to the opposite direction

As soon as she smells it (or looks like smelling) she runs to the opposite direction.. sometimes it looks really dramatic because she swims up and down in a corner like trying to escape from the tank

Hikari (red bag .5mm) has a lot of garlic in it but that hasn't work either.. BUT.. if you still think that NLS might work with a fish that runs away from food I can order them tomorrow

I saw Helen's video a few days ago and Im willing to try it.. however this butterfly looks (and acts) terrified of me..

Every time I try to grab her to put her in a small container she puts up a fight trying to escape from my hand or swimming against the net.. she just doesn't wanna be touch or net (at least by me)

Something you should know is that she did eat the first one or two days.. however I'm perhaps guilty of overfeeding those 1 or 2 days and after those days she went to "lethargic mode" then had a HUGE poop came out.. I don't know if she experienced something so painful when pooped then that she is not willing to experience again..  (I don't even know if what Im saying is even possible.. Im losing it so Im starting to create explanations, ha! :hummm )

Edited by 210 Oranda

When one of my goldfish had to go into QT, my other goldfish literally stopped eating even though food was dropped in front of his face. I let this happen for four days, then I put him into a large glass measuring cup where he barely could move. He wasn't squashed in the cup, but just couldn't move anywhere other than just turn around and round. I then dropped some food (very very small pieces) into the cup and by just breathing he ate the food because he couldn't escape from the food. I'd try this with bloodworms since minimal chewing is involved (I think) in getting this food into his digestive track. Since your fish is relatively active any flalying around in the cup may result in him swallowing bloodworms. It seems syringe feeding is easier when their energy is lower.

If you try this, don't keep him in the cup too long.

Edited by LisaCGold

When one of my goldfish had to go into QT, my other goldfish literally stopped eating even though food was dropped in front of his face. I let this happen for four days, then I put him into a large glass measuring cup where he barely could move. He wasn't squashed in the cup, but just couldn't move anywhere other than just turn around and round. I then dropped some food (very very small pieces) into the cup and by just breathing he ate the food because he couldn't escape from the food. I'd try this with bloodworms since minimal chewing is involved (I think) in getting this food into his digestive track. Since your fish is relatively active any flalying around in the cup may result in him swallowing bloodworms. It seems syringe feeding is easier when their energy is lower.

Will do it in the morning for sure!..

Now.. I've done this in a smaller container (perhaps bigger that what you describing and she in fact swallows some repashy but she spit it out.

I know is impossible to tell without proper studies.. but is it possible that something inside her "isn't there anymore" or it got ruined that she now refuses to have any intakes ??

I'm thinking some of the bloodworms in a smaller container would get into her gut. Maybe cut up the bloodworms a bit.

My recommendation is in lieu of the hex shield.

Keep up with metro in the water (in tank not cup). Also have Paraguard on hand just in case.

With internal parasites a fish may refuse to eat. Also if there is some internal irritation they may refuse to eat.

Good signs: 1) the fish has enough energy right now to fight being held 2) there was some poop that happened after eating the first two days.

The use of metro may help with the internal irritation so that the fish will eventually eat without resorting to force feeding. If the metro doesn't work, ArcticMama may recommend the Paraguard.

The use of metro may help with the internal irritation so that the fish will eventually eat without resorting to force feeding. If the metro doesn't work, ArcticMama may recommend the Paraguard.

Im ordering Paraguard and NLS Hex and I did what you told me earlier..

I hope with all that food something went into the digestive track

At the end of the video you can see her spitting out the worms..  :wall 

I too hope some of the blood worms made it into her digestive track. Do that at least a couple times a day so that some nutrition has a higher probability of making it into her.

What day is it now on the metro?

I too hope some of the blood worms made it into her digestive track. Do that at least a couple times a day so that some nutrition has a higher probability of making it into her.

What day is it now on the metro?

Today (thursday).. 5th day of metro

How is she doing?

Yes, any eating? If not, you're going to need to syringe feed her until,we can get on top of what is making her sick and refuse food.

No food.. :(

Im driving home (she didn't eat this morning)..

Its gonna be really challenging because she doesn't like to be touched..

All I've seen the couple of times I put her in the small container to force feeding is a "white string poop" 30-40min after

How is she doing?

Yes, any eating? If not, you're going to need to syringe feed her until,we can get on top of what is making her sick and refuse food.

Ladies..

I have an idea (perhaps dumb) but it might work..

Repashy has to be boiled to solidify.

The powder/water mix is only a paste that can be diluted if added in water...

What happens if I add some of that mix (without boiling) to a small container where the butterfly is ???

She will be basically swimming in food "for like 20-30 seconds"..

I don't know if the mix "HAS" to be boiled for the ingredients/nutrients to be active (I doubt it)

Any thoughts??

I think it would be safer to make a batch of repashy with too much water and feed that via a syringe. The gel will be inactivated so will lessen the chance of clogging the intestines.

Edited by ChelseaM

I think it would be safer to make a batch of repashy with too much water and feed that via a syringe. The gel will be inactivated so will lessen the chance of clogging the intestines.

Chelsea.. thank you for the input but she is refusing to keep the syringed food inside..

It was a fight just to make her stay still in my hand and even though she did swallow some of the (repashy) paste

she did spit it out after "chewing" it for a few seconds.

I don't know what to do or say anymore.. we are on the 10th day of metro powder but no change

She has to be having some kind of intake to be able to be alive today (today is the 17th day w/o food)

If there's anything else you guys can think of please let me know.. who knows how much longer she will last :(

Edited by 210 Oranda

Chelsea.. thank you for the input but she is refusing to keep the syringed food inside..

It was a fight just to make her stay still in my hand and even though she did swallow some of the (repashy) paste

I don't know what to do or say anymore.. we are on the 10th day of metro powder but no change

She has to be having some kind of intake to be able to be alive today (today is the 17th day w/o food)

If there's anything else you guys can think of please let me know.. who knows how much longer she will last :(

Despite spitting out most of the food, she likely is getting some of it in. The repashy paste is messy so it leaks out when feeding happens, and it looks like she's not getting any when she actually is getting some. I remember when I had to syringe-feed. It was always a messy affair! 

Are you waiting until she has settled before you try feeding? It's not about 'making' her stay still as it is about allowing her to get comfortable. Fish who are stressed won't eat just as much as fish who are sick won't eat. Also, how long/often have you been doing the syringe feeding? 

Despite spitting out most of the food, she likely is getting some of it in. The repashy paste is messy so it leaks out when feeding happens, and it looks like she's not getting any when she actually is getting some. I remember when I had to syringe-feed. It was always a messy affair! 

Are you waiting until she has settled before you try feeding? It's not about 'making' her stay still as it is about allowing her to get comfortable. Fish who are stressed won't eat just as much as fish who are sick won't eat. Also, how long/often have you been doing the syringe feeding? 

I have only tried this twice because is extremely messy.. and yes, I've waited for her to (somewhat) calm before I feed. however, she does NOT get "comfortable".. she breathes really fast when in my hand, so I know she doesn't like it..

Now..

why did you say that is "safer" to syringe feed that to add the paste to a small container so she can be forced to intake the food ???? (thx!)