My butterfly is NOT eating.. 8 days and counting.. :(

210 Oranda

Im super concerned about this one.. I don't know how long will it take for a goldfish to die of starvation

I received it last Tuesday (Sep 15) along with another butterfly

Wednesday (Sep 16) and Thursday (Sep 17) she ate kinda normal for a new/acclimatizing fish

However on Friday night (Sep 18) she started to show no interest in food so she has not eaten anything since then

I've tried the same food that DO gives them (Repashy gel).. also hikari pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, & peas but nothing works.

She shows very little interest in the morning when I turn on the lights but either she runs away from food as soon as she sees it or she spits it out

I've send the video to the seller but he cannot figure out what's wrong with her.. even when she acts lethargic at times she acts normal the most

I've even isolate her to force her to eat but she just runs towards the oposite direction where the food is

I dont want to lose her but I cannot make her eat anything.. PLEASE HELP US

(Im filling up the D&D in just a minute)

thank you so much!!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0-0.25
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)  5
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
    • * Water temperature? 75
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29G quarantine - since Sep 15
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? sponge for up to 80G - Marineland Pinguin350 (floss only)
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every other day 85-90%
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday Sep25 , 85%
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? (Butterfly 4.5") - (Butterfly 4.25") - (Ranchu 4.5")
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day (Repashy Soilent Green morning) (Hikari bloodworms evening)
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? 3
    • * Any medications added to the tank? Salt 1% (109grams) - PraziPro single dose from Sep 19 - Sep 22
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Salt 1% (109grams) - PraziPro single dose from Sep 19 - Sep 22

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No eating in 8 days!!

• Helper

She looks a little droopy and clamped to me, do fill out the form and that may give us clues. Have the new arrivals been treated with salt and prazi? What medication do you have on hand?

• Helper

We must have been posting at the same time. So you have three newbies in quarantine right now, being treated with salt and prazi? I'm thinking your water takes a bit of acclimating for your fish if history is anything to go by, but this may be more than that. Let us know your medication status, I'd like to treat for an internal bacterial infection along with the qt rounds, but we are going to want to treat this one separately because of the antibiotic.

If these are all new arrivals or recent remember that every time you add a new fish you essentially must begin your quarantine period again :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

We must have been posting at the same time. So you have three newbies in quarantine right now, being treated with salt and prazi? I'm thinking your water takes a bit of acclimating for your fish if history is anything to go by, but this may be more than that. Let us know your medication status, I'd like to treat for an internal bacterial infection along with the qt rounds, but we are going to want to treat this one separately because of the antibiotic.

If these are all new arrivals or recent remember that every time you add a new fish you essentially must begin your quarantine period again :)

They all arrived at same time (Tuesday,Sep 15).. I started the salt & prazi on Saturday (Sep 19) and removed both salt & prazi on Wednesday (Sep 24)..

I added salt again yesterday (1%) but no prazi.. She had a "string poop" hanging ,a few hours after the salt was added yesterday

(don't know if this answer your questions)

• Helper

Okay, that's makes sense. The stringy poop could be stress, or it could be parasites, and with the spitting I'm wondering about the parasites more.

What medications do you have on hand? How did the seller keep the fish and/or treat them? Are these bred here in the U.S. from fairly clean stock or Asian imports?

Ah.. I just noticed a couple of teeth at the bottom of the tank.. who knows if that's related..

The other butterfly is lethargic as well.. She eats very good but goes to "lethargic mode" 30min after lunch

Ken (seller) tells me these butterflies are totally lethargic at first and they're used to the outside's (pond) life so it takes a while for them to get better but some never do

I've even tried pushing gently the belly area to see if eggs came out, which Ken tells me is normal after shipment

I was gonna start a Metro flake treatment but i see it pointless if she's gonna spit it out

I have Kanaplex, Metroplex, Bifuran, PraziPro, Metro flake food, Kana flake food & triple sufla..

Im really scared of adding antibiotics.. Im having flashbacks of goldfishnet fish.. all died the second day after adding metro/kana combo

But I'll do whats best for the fish!..

Okay, that's makes sense. The stringy poop could be stress, or it could be parasites, and with the spitting I'm wondering about the parasites more.

What medications do you have on hand? How did the seller keep the fish and/or treat them? Are these bred here in the U.S. from fairly clean stock or Asian imports?

They are China.. Ken had them for 2 months before he sold them to me

• Helper

Hmm... It could be that the stress of transport allowed something to take hold. The Metroplex is antiparasitic as well as antibacterial, so please begin a two week course of that, keep up with the low salt but discontinue the prazi until after the antibiotics are complete, just so you're not keeping track of so much medication at once.

If after four-ish days you aren't seeing any eating, I'm going to request you purchase Seachem Paraguard and we will treat with that while finishing the antibiotics.

Believe me, it wasn't the antibiotics that killed the other fish! But I don't believe the Kanaplex is needed at this time, given the current symptoms and history.

Oh definitely..! I am not comparing Ken fish with Tommy's fish.. no way! huge difference there..

So.. metro powder, right ?

• Helper

Yes, Metroplex powder by Seachem. And LIS, you may want to check for local availability of Paraguard, too. If it is parasitic the metro may not be enough to inhibit it on its own, and that's the next step up the treatment ladder. Hopefully we won't need it, though :)

• Helper

Last question (for the moment)..

Metro treatment isn't "bad" for a fish that has no food intake for 8 days, right?

Fish can fast for up to a week without much issue, but it does stress their systems. Still, the metro is quite gentle. No medication is 'good' for a fish - at best they are benign in their affect on the fish while being effective on the pathogen - but this isn't one that would cause any big issues with appetite, activity, or anything else. Given the current situation you should see improvements within about 48 hours or no change at all.

If the fish does show signs of clamping, bottom sitting, excess slime coat, or floating, please tell us, but those wouldn't be from the Metronidazole. The temperature the tank is at is good, as is the .1% salinity, to help keep things moving but not cause undo stress on your fish. So the only factor we are adjusting is the antibiotic and delaying the rest of the prazi for the time being. Since Ken is rigorous on his QT I'm not overly concerned about flukes being the root cause, and am comfortable holding off on that until we solve the main problem.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Sorry to hear about your butterfly tele. You are in good hands with AM. Just double checking the salt concentration is 0.1% and not 1% correct?

My bad.. yes, 0.1% :duckk:

Okay, proceed as indicated and check back in with us if you don't see improvement in eating by Wednesday or Thursday.

Question..

I fed Metro food (flakes) accidentaly this morning (I dont think this calico ate) then I added the Metro powder..

They're supposed to eat nothing but medicaded flakes once you start but I don't want to overdose by doing metro flakes + metro powder..

(Im almost sure what your answer is gonna be but I need to check before doing it) 

So.. cancel the flakes and feed regular or continue w/ flakes for a couple of days (along w/ powder) to see if she eats some ???

Edited by 210 Oranda

• Helper

The metro flakes are meds, not food - you're dosing that med by another means. No metro flakes.

Feed bloodworms or repashy lightly for a day or two, just enough to see if she is eating. If so, feed several small feedings.

The metro flakes are meds, not food - you're dosing that med by another means. No metro flakes.

Feed bloodworms or repashy lightly for a day or two, just enough to see if she is eating. If so, feed several small feedings.

Incredible..!!.. 10 days and counting.. :no:

I cannot explain how this fish is still alive.. but thank God it is..

I'm perhaps hallucinating but I even think she looks skinier.. :(

Today is WC day and third day of metro (re-dose day)