Single Tailed Goldfish: Your expirence with them in fish tanks?

yogosans14

So I recently bought 2 of them, a Sarasa comet and a shubunkin. I  was planning on getting a stock pond for them. They are small right now so I have them in a 40 breeder quaratine. They seem to be doing great, although they do chase each other a lot lol I think its normal.

I know a lot of people say they are pond only fish but do you think 3 single tailed would be able to grow fully and happily in a 75 gallon or would they eventually need to be upgraded to a pond?

Well, we always want to provide our pets with the best possible environment that we can practically provide. I would suggest that if you can get your hands on a pond then the fish would enjoy that and live longer than in an aquarium.

Well, we always want to provide our pets with the best possible environment that we can practically provide. I would suggest that if you can get your hands on a pond then the fish would enjoy that and live longer than in an aquarium.

I can but I like seeing them from the side view :X

• Helper

In terms of stocking the 75 gallon will provide them an excellent home. Of course ponds are great, but you're not shortchanging them eith that setup. That's great swimming space for fee single tails :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. The 75g aquarium is a nice size for your fish. I just love my pond and would advise anyone to try one.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The 75g aquarium is a nice size for your fish. I just love my pond and would advise anyone to try one.

Hmm I might. I can use the 75 for more fancys!

STs can live for a long time in an aquarium, just like in a pond. There are pros and cons to both.

I am one of the people who puts her fish outside for the summer and brings them in for the winter. I can't praise enough how much it positively impacts them color-wise and growth-wise to spend time in unfiltered sun.

The idea that  normal-bodied fish "need" ponds is ludicrous.  Of course they do better in a good pond than in a comparable aquarium, but in my experience (and others here have confirmed this observation)  fancies benefit much more from a pond than do long-bodied fish.   In particular, they grow faster and larger in a pond and if the pond provides a lot of swimming area, have a much lower incidence of swim bladder disorders.  Virtually all  fish that have lived more than a decade in a bowl had long bodies.  

If you looked at all of the goldfish ponds in your area, I doubt that 10% of them would provide 25 gallons per fish.  The typical backyard goldfish pond more often provides 5 gallons per fish.  

If you want to see your pond fish from the side, make a viewing dome like Mysterygirl made

Edited by shakaho

I used to have a ST that ended up in my tank because my "uninformed" daughter had him in a tank of Tiger Barbs!!  I scooped him out & brought him home. He lived happily & was very healthy in my 30 gallon tank. Later I got my 90 gal & he was fun to watch swimming around in there! He was such a wonderful pet that to this day I keep one ST in my tank with whatever fancies reside there!! (Also each ST is plucked from the FEEDER TANK!!)

Edited by Jeana727

in my  opinion  i think depends  the genetic of the  fish on  how much they can grow ,  i i've bought some from petsmart  from the (   29 cents )  they are very smaller   , i give them  20  gallons each  and stays  almost the same size  , but they are very  acrive and  Healthy  , i i've keep them  since a year ago 

I can't stand the term 'Feeder Fish' I am glad we don't hear that by me.

As I say, I love my pond. I would always recommend getting one if you can as I have been fascinated by them since I was little. I built my first pond when I was about 8 and went to a local pond to get tadpoles every year.

For growth I feed regularly, a few small meals a day if I can. I feed a variety of veg like peas and proteins like bloodworm with a high quality pellet. I also do regular water changes. I have been doing daily water changes the last few weeks as I am at home in the day. If I am every at home in the day I will do a water change.

Actually, genetics appears to have little to do with the size of goldfish.  In any spawn, you get a range of sizes from permanently tiny to huge.  People have tried selecting the large ones to get bigger fish and the small ones to get smaller fish, but the offspring regularly revert toward the average.   Most of goldfish size seems to be determined by developmental factors and fish husbandry.  

My original fish all came from the $0.17 tank at Petsmart.  The smallest of these is ~6 inches standard length (body only), and 12 inches total length.  When I picked her out she was the smallest fish in the tank and had the longest fins.  The largest is about 9" standard length.  The only larger fish I have are the offspring of these originals.

Well I hate the term single tails to refer to pond type (long/normal bodied) fish.  Wakins and watonai have double tails and are not short-bodied fancies.  Nymphs (single-tailed fancies) are short-bodied fancies.  

My 4 fish (all 2 year olds) are currently living in a 75 gallon; they were in an unfiltered 100 gal. stock tank outdoors until I brought them inside last June. They've definitely grown a bit since being moved indoors, & the comet & shubunkin look to have bigger tails (the 2 commons are just a little  bigger overall). They're not enormous or anything though. One common & the comet came from Petco's 20 cent tank, & the other 2 were free from a neighbor (but I think they came from Walmart). I have the tank heavily planted, 10x filtration, & do a 90-95% water change once a week. Water chemistry is good, & they seem happy & healthy.

My 4 fish (all 2 year olds) are currently living in a 75 gallon; they were in an unfiltered 100 gal. stock tank outdoors until I brought them inside last June. They've definitely grown a bit since being moved indoors, & the comet & shubunkin look to have bigger tails (the 2 commons are just a little bigger overall). They're not enormous or anything though. One common & the comet came from Petco's 20 cent tank, & the other 2 were free from a neighbor (but I think they came from Walmart). I have the tank heavily planted, 10x filtration, & do a 90-95% water change once a week. Water chemistry is good, & they seem happy & healthy.

That's good too hear, it'll be interesting to see how big mine possibly get. I have 2 commons and 1 Sarasa and they are so friendly, they stick there heads out halfway above the water begging for food.

I really don't have a problem with the term Feeder Fish. There are lots of pets that are FED from the Feeder Tank......many are actually bigger fish...some are reptiles & all sorts of other creatures! Heck we HUMANS buy our "Feeder Fish" in the meat department or actually go out with a hook & line to catch them! It is what it is. 

I just choose occasionally to pluck one out of 19 cents each feeder tank & spoil it rotten in my aquariam! (You just have to be careful as that tank is not maintained well at all!!)

Edited by Jeana727