Sign in to follow this  
Ajnk17

Paragaurd as preventative treatment?

So I still have not started my preventative treat on all three of my fish yet. (I went out of town causing the delay) after reading the difference between paragaurd and prazipro I was leaning towards the paragaurd. It sounds like it covers/prevents more.

The biggest reason I want to use this instead is because one of my fish has had white spots on his tail where the orange and white fade together. I've always kept my eye on it, as I first suspected it was ich. It's only on my one fish and it's only on the tail. I think it's just part of his coloring, because it's been months and nothing has happened more. I figured if I use paragaurd I can stop with my paranoia. :P

I've tried looking up stuff about paraguard and it sounds like it only stays in the aquarium for 24 hours and people have used and had great results. So my questions are: Is there a schedule for paraguard like prazi? Should I actually use paraguard or stick with prazi? And last, would I still add salt to the tank with paraguard?

Also so everyone knows, this would be all of my fishies first treatment. :)

I would stick with Prazi. It is the gentlest medication on the market for treating issues like Flukes. The Paraguard contains Malachite Green, which is a very harsh chemical.

If you haven't already, please start a D&D thread regarding the spot so that people can see it and tell you if it's something to be worried on.

I also suggest doing the prazi and salt protocol instead of paraguard. White spots on a tail may be slime coat buildup which could indicate flukes. Prazi and salt will help with this.

If nothing else has happened in a proper quarantine period, assume nothing else is going on. These medications aren't benign and their efficacy lessens with use and tolerance, so please err on the side of less being more and keep the Paraguard for an actual ectoparasite issue. The standard treatment rounds for quarantine should be sufficient in both medication and duration :)

I would stick with Prazi. It is the gentlest medication on the market for treating issues like Flukes. The Paraguard contains Malachite Green, which is a very harsh chemical.

If you haven't already, please start a D&D thread regarding the spot so that people can see it and tell you if it's something to be worried on.

Okay, I will use prazi instead. I wasn't sure about the malachite green. I thought I had read about it being a harsher chemical, but then I read people using the paraguard as a preventative thing as well.

I will start a D&D thread shortly. I have to make dinner and then start my WC. While I do my WC I'll try and get a good picture. It's hard and I'm a little nervous to try and pick him up.

I also suggest doing the prazi and salt protocol instead of paraguard. White spots on a tail may be slime coat buildup which could indicate flukes. Prazi and salt will help with this.

I read about flukes and his behavior is completely normal. No flashing and always eating. I'm going to start a D&D thread soon so hopefully some answers!

If nothing else has happened in a proper quarantine period, assume nothing else is going on. These medications aren't benign and their efficacy lessens with use and tolerance, so please err on the side of less being more and keep the Paraguard for an actual ectoparasite issue. The standard treatment rounds for quarantine should be sufficient in both medication and duration :)

Unfortunately, I didn't quarantine my first two fish and my latest was only two weeks with no medication. I'm just now learning about medications and all of these possible diseases. It's honestly kind of confusing me. I'm just trying my best to help these guys have the best life they can. I can say, I (more then likely) am a better fish parent then another person that would have picked them out from my LFS. :)

I have another question. I just read about the salt post, someone mentioned not using salt with live plants. Can I skip using salt with the prazi since it will be in my main tank? I have a lot of live plants in my tank.

What would happen if I don't use salt?

You can put plants in another container during treatment. See link below my signature for everything you want to know about the salt treatment.

You don't have to use salt with prazi.   I do so only in quarantine.

Salt is used to prevent secondary infection and speed up the healing process. If you've never Prazi'd before,  use the salt. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have another question. I just read about the salt post, someone mentioned not using salt with live plants. Can I skip using salt with the prazi since it will be in my main tank? I have a lot of live plants in my tank.

What would happen if I don't use salt?

I only do the salt in the initial quarantine, which has no live plants. When I'm just doing a maintenance prazi round, where I might be seeing some minor symptoms, I just skip the salt and stick with the prazi alone. Usually two or three solid rounds works great for me. That doesn't mean salt doesn't have other medicinal uses but almost all of them involve concentrations you'd only want to do in a hospital tank or as a dip, not added to the main tank :)