Bushy Nose Pleco QT

Mikey

:hi so I got my new pleco! :nana

He is in a 20 gallon long with .1% salt, 80 degree water, an aqua clear 70 (uncycled so will be testing ammonia daily), and an air stone. Should I go ahead and add prazi (single dosed) and start the prazi rounds? I want to do 2 in the QT tank so that's two weeks in .1% salt and two rounds of prazi and then I wanted to do 3 rounds in the 55 so it will give my others 3 rounds and the pleco 5 rounds total. Does that sound okay?

I didn't even know you can use salt on plecos even at .01 ....good to know... :) gotta see pics of this bushy nose lol

Edited by Cdionne77

Here are some pictures of (I'm calling it a him for now. :rofl) him! 

CF65E4B8-B731-4919-AC9F-B702FD673ABE_zps

69FE35E2-3E8E-46EB-B5CD-11C248DC5847_zps

021EAD9F-D5F8-41F0-9B20-70F71D716519_zps

CF657E06-5569-4F66-90FA-BC26F4EEF399_zps

I didn't even know you can use salt on plecos even at .01

yup! You can :). I forget how high of a level they can tolerate, but I don't want to be the one to find out :rofl

Here are some pictures of (I'm calling it a him for now. :rofl) him! CF65E4B8-B731-4919-AC9F-B702FD673ABE_zps69FE35E2-3E8E-46EB-B5CD-11C248DC5847_zps021EAD9F-D5F8-41F0-9B20-70F71D716519_zpsCF657E06-5569-4F66-90FA-BC26F4EEF399_zps

I didn't even know you can use salt on plecos even at .01

yup! You can :). I forget how high of a level they can tolerate, but I don't want to be the one to find out :rofl

You are quick I just asked for pics LOL

Looks female - doesn't look to have bristles. S/he is a cutie!

I QT my female BN pleco at 0.2% salt for at least a week or two. If you do go up that high, do it gradually. I suggest 3 rounds of prazi in QT then the remaining rounds in the main tank.

I QT my female BN pleco at 0.2% salt for at least a week or two. If you do go up that high, do it gradually. I suggest 3 rounds of prazi in QT then the remaining rounds in the main tank.

Thanks for the info Lisa. I always prazi'd my BN but never did salt. Good to know you can :)

I was hoping for a male :rofl I saw some bristles from the side and was like okay you and also had the nicest coloring of the three in the tank.

Thanks!!

I'll bring it to .2% tomorrow night so it can give him/her some time to acclimate to the .1%. Seems to be unaffected by it! :)

Okay, I'll do the 3 rounds in qt. should I lower it to .1% after the first two rounds and then I guess no salt in the 55 for the rest of the rounds.

Edited by Mikey

I would definitely lower back to .1% as soon as feasible. I know these guys can technically tolerate some salt, but in my experience with catfish (albeit non-plecos) it does weaken them.

Good boy for quarantining, Mikey. Goooooood boy. ;)

I don't recommend using any salt.  They don't like it, even if they can tolerate it.  Anything below 0.3% isn't going to do much in the way of killing parasites, anyway.  You would be better with just Prazi and pristine water or Paraguard at a half dose followed by Prazi once that is done.

Edited by Jared

I did the water change but I think it was too late :( he was dead the next day.

I now have another and he is at .000000000% (:lol) salt and only prazi. I put a piece of driftwood in for him. I have so many plant weights on that thing :rofl3

Thanks, Mike!

I thought this posted yesterday :hmm I guess not :rofl

He was still alive this morning and appears to be disease free! I'll get a better look at him when I get home from school :)