Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

Pineconing chu

se copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Water was tested before wc today
    • Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)5.0 
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)ph8.2/kh 6 drops
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)ph7.0/kh 1 drop
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?API drops
      • * Water temperature?77.
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?75/3 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • 2 Aqueon75 onr XL sponge filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1x's a week 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 7 days/80% but it was closer to 10 days/90% for the one before that.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?4/2ecr 37g/45g/oranda 56g/small oranda hasn't been weighed recently best guesstimate 20 ish grams
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?Prime/baking soda
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • I fast them at least one day a week.
  • NSL  thera+A small fish formula/NLS small goldfish 1 or 2x's daily/ bloodworms 1-2x's a week/frozen brine shrimp every 10 days or so/same for Hikari Lionhead/ Repashy solient green when I make it (I'm lazy!)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. All fish had routine salt & prazi treatment before adding to main tank 2 rounds, with a third round after each addition was added to main tank. The 2 ECR being the last additions.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  2 days ago, s/he was 'blown up' and scales were obviously raised. She totally looked like a fat headed pearlscale! The weirdest thing, is she only stayed like that for a day. 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • Last Friday (wc day) I noticed she stayed in the corner she sleeps in when I dropped in pellets. Usually all 4 come rushing to the front of the tank. She eventually came around. She is swimming normally, foraging normally, eating normally, just had a slow start for a few  days. Back to normal now though. 

When I saw her visibly pineconing, I went to get a picture, but of course, the battery was dead. Once it was charged, she didn't look like she was pineconing anymore so I debated on qt'ing her, but thought I should at least do a round or 2 of prazi. She is now in a 10gallon tank that has only been used for QT in the past, has been bleached since then. A small sponge filter and heater. I have only added Prime and baking soda to keep the ph&kh the same as the tank. She is active, but I haven't seen any poop in a few days(from any of the fish to be honest)

Here for advice before I do anything, will be only maintaining clean water until I hear anything from a mod. Maybe clean water would be enough?

I have morton's pickling & canning salt/epsom/metro meds/pro gold/ jump start

Just looking at her, I currently do not see raised scales, but in some of the pictures, you can see some of the scales sticking out (I think)

Something else to note,though I don't think it matters is that she was a yellow head when I got her, but within a few weeks, her head was all white even on the NLS! Just a month ago, she had a red 'spot' above her eye, I thought it might be a pimple or something and it disappeared by the time I got back from work that night.

You can see her scales sticking out a little bit. They were full blown straight out the other day.

sickchu%20005_zpshmgwvsx5.jpg

sickchu%20006_zpshrexrt4i.jpg

InQT

sickchu%20010_zpssqeakiol.jpg

They don't look raised at all.

sickchu%20011_zpshin02oo9.jpg

Whatch lookin at?

sickchu%20013_zpsiotapweu.jpg

sickchu%20015_zps2xqalji3.jpg

Where are my friends?:(

sickchu%20019_zpsvbskhcnm.jpg

sickchu%20039_zpstxmjd4d6.jpg

Boo-Hoo! Please help me get better!

sickchu%20038_zpsirxevn7h.jpg

Short Vid:

She's missing a scale on one side, which I noticed last wc. Thought that was why she was acting a little off.

I have a longer vid, if you think it's important.

I'm sorry she isn't feeling well Alida :hug if you need anything let me know!

let's get 1/2 teaspoon of epsom per 5 gallons in there for now and see if the mods want to raise that or not. How much does she weigh? I can't make it out in the picture.

I hope she's feels better soon Alida!

I'm sorry she isn't feeling well Alida :hug if you need anything let me know!

let's get 1/2 teaspoon of epsom per 5 gallons in there for now and see if the mods want to raise that or not. How much does she weigh? I can't make it out in the picture.

37grams

You said the pineconing has subsided, correct? Please just keep her under observation in the QT with just clean water, no salt of any kind, and feed her only the repashy for the next week or so. That is easier to digest than a pellet and we want to keep her stress very low. For now, no meds. If she pinecones again, is bottom sitting, floating, clamping, spitting, or looks to be thinning out and losing weight please let us know :)

When were the pics taken?  She's definitely pineconing and very round in the pics . . . .

I understood that the pineconing had decreased, not that it had gone.  

What antibiotics do you have?

I did too Sharon. :) Also I think the pics are now, after the major pineconing had gone down. :idont

She listed meds in her post. If the MMs are current and the fish is eating and my assumptions above are true :rofl I'd go with the MMs.

The pics were from right before I posted. She is very round to begin with.The roundness she has right now is the same as before she pineconed. When she was obviously pineconed, she looked like she was going to pop and her scales were sticking out(raised?)

This is her original vid so you can see how fat she is normally:

https://youtu.be/1SAiwmLW4LE

If I am going to give her mm's how many and how often? She is 37 grams.

Should I be salting the tank?

Edited by TikiLola

If she is still pine coned that's a different matter. If it has passed I really wouldn't medicate, though. She looks normal to me in the video but I'm not there :)

She's pineconed in the pics though . . .

15 pellets per day and Epsom at 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons please. :)

OK, today has been 2 weeks in epsom salt and with metro meds.  After the very first day, her pineconing subsided to the point I couldn't see raised scales. I got pics, but they are in the camera and I misplaced the camera!  :doh11: I have another camera's battery charging so I could get updated pics. On the bag of mm's it says feed for 2 weeks. So, if everything she looks good to you guys, can I put her back in the 75 or should I keep her in just plain water for a couple days? Should I feed her something else starting tomorrow or continue with the metro?

OK, today has been 2 weeks in epsom salt and with metro meds.  After the very first day, her pineconing subsided to the point I couldn't see raised scales. I got pics, but they are in the camera and I misplaced the camera!  :doh11: I have another camera's battery charging so I could get updated pics. On the bag of mm's it says feed for 2 weeks. So, if everything she looks good to you guys, can I put her back in the 75 or should I keep her in just plain water for a couple days? Should I feed her something else starting tomorrow or continue with the metro?

I'm not feeding her anything today.

These are the only pics I could get She was moving very fast, all the other pics turned out blurry.

I wish I could find my other camera.:(

013_zpsj4bul2bm.jpg

015_zpsq7ompxu1.jpg

036_zpsg4vfgtkn.jpg

She looks good to me.  I'd send her home from the hospital.

She looks good to me.  I'd send her home from the hospital.

Do you think I should do a round of prazi on her? 

Unless she is showing symptoms I wouldn't prazi her unnecessarily :)