Sign in to follow this  
I-Goldfish

Very small white spots (suspected ich?)

Hey guys,

I suspect my fish have ich, not completely sure. I will try to get some photos/videos however my fish are extremely fast. I have tried medication to no avail so i bought some aquarium salt. Fortunately my fish have never been ill before so i have never actually used salt so i will need quite a clear guide if someone will. All the symptoms below they have actually had for quite a while and i can't seem to get rid of them. I know this tank is a bit small so i am thinking of getting a bigger one to make it more manageable for myself and more space for the fish. Thanks in advance aha.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20-30ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5-10ppm (more like 5)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test kit drops
      • * Water temperature? 28 celcius
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 90litres, 23.7 US gallons
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval something?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1-2x week, 70-80 %
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 70%,
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 4inch, 3inch approx.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? ​Fluvial aqua plus
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra flakes/sticks/granules. Bloodworms/peas. 2x a day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Not now. last week, eSHa 2000 and exit.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. eSHa 2000 and exit. 7 days. Have also used eSHa 200o in the past. Also before interpret white spot.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Grains of salt, as in they are very very small white spots. Can only visibly see them on blacky as he is black. Patchy white and orange can't see them but obviously has got whatever blacky has i presume. Patchy, red veins in tail.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Mostly normal. Eating normally. Blacky scratches along gravel. Patchy is breathing more.
Edited by I-Goldfish

Someone will be along to help you soon and they will need to some picture's of the Goldfish.

Yes, pictures would be helpful, even if you have to isolate a fish to take the pictures.

Here is the clearest picture I could get to show the spots. On the gills may be breeding stars however.

2F04CBE1-A408-4EF8-99A2-7095371D359B_zps

Here is a video. The lost scale(s) is from the rubbing along gravel.

th_72E6CB41-E0EE-480E-AB25-1964BF9F82D6_

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1325.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fu637%2FI-goldfish%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2F72E6CB41-E0EE-480E-AB25-1964BF9F82D6_zps9swzahhr.mp4">

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/I-goldfish/media/Mobile%20Uploads/72E6CB41-E0EE-480E-AB25-1964BF9F82D6_zps9swzahhr.mp4.html

Zooming in on the picture will make it easier. I also forget to say i have another smaller filter on the tank. And the salt in API aquarium salt. Thank you

Those are breeding stars :teehee congrats! Blacky is a boy :)

I'm not sue I can quite see the other spots you are talking about though. In the video his activity seemed perfectly normal to me. I would go ahead and do a 90% water change Let's get those nitrates down more. I would also suggest upgrading the tank to at least a 40 breeder, that tank seems quite small to be housing the two of them.

I'm not sue I can quite see the other spots you are talking about though. In the video his activity seemed perfectly normal to me. I would go ahead and do a 90% water change Let's get those nitrates down more. I would also suggest upgrading the tank to at least a 40 breeder, that tank seems quite small to be housing the two of them.

Those are breeding stars :teehee congrats! Blacky is a boy :)

I can see the breeding stars on his gills. However it is the white grains along his whole body that concern me, along with the scraping against the floor of the tank? I agree, i am working on a bigger tank and converting this one into a tropical !

I don't consider the behavior normal at all.  The fish appear to be very agitated.  Perhaps this was just because they were anticipating feeding.  Is this how they normally act?  

The itchiness suggests you should treat for external parasites.  Start with 0.3% salt.  Do you have prazi?

I don't consider the behavior normal at all.  The fish appear to be very agitated.  Perhaps this was just because they were anticipating feeding.  Is this how they normally act?  

The itchiness suggests you should treat for external parasites.  Start with 0.3% salt.  Do you have prazi?

They act frantic like this when I am in front of the tank, like I was when videoing, and at feeding time. The rest of the day they seem quite chilled except Blacky scratching along gravel. I will do another water change tomorrow and start salt. Is it 0.1% increase every 12 hours? And could I have the measurements please. I don't have prazi and I am in the UK if it's harder to find here. Thanks for your help shakaho. I'm trying to do the best for them!

If it's aquarium salt its 1 teaspoon per gallon and if it's the finer mortons salt its 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. im not sure if Sharon wants it at .1% every 12 hours or .3% now

so in any case, add .1% for now until she replies back as you can add the other .2% if she wants all .3% now.

Edited by Mikey

If you put the full amount for 1Tbs per gallon in a fine mesh bag (like a nylon stocking) and just put it in the tank, the salt will slowly dissolve, making the change in salinity very comfortable for the fish.  I believe there is a medication containing prazi that you can get in the UK.  I will check on that for you.

You can use this product for treating flukes.  The active ingredient is praziquantel.  Click on distributors to see where to get it.

You can use this product for treating flukes. The active ingredient is praziquantel. Click on distributors to see where to get it.

I've salted at 0.3% this morning using 23 tablespoons. I will get the esha product ASAP. Thanks for your help! You think it's flukes?

Flukes are the most common reason for flashing.  Treating for them with prazi will not harm the fish,  so the treatment is well worthwhile even if we don't know flukes are the cause.

Flukes are the most common reason for flashing. Treating for them with prazi will not harm the fish, so the treatment is well worthwhile even if we don't know flukes are the cause.

I can't believe that didn't even cross my mind :( I've got the esha gdex now, shall I follow the directions on the bottle? That is a 5 day round. Will I need to repeat another round after the initial round. Also do I need to keep the salt in whilst using this? Thanks

Please could someone help me regarding the salt and med issue. I need to get this med in asap so I can do it the same time tomorrow as I'm away for the night. I do appreciate the help

Can you tell us the directions on the bottle?

Yes, salt and prazi at the same time.  And we will probably want you to do 3-4 rounds . . .

Also, keep in mind we are all volunteers with jobs, families, lives outside of Kokos.  We get to threads as quickly as we can.

Can you tell us the directions on the bottle?

Yes, salt and prazi at the same time.  And we will probably want you to do 3-4 rounds . . .

Also, keep in mind we are all volunteers with jobs, families, lives outside of Kokos.  We get to threads as quickly as we can.

Okay so salt at 3% throughout? Okay 3-4 rounds.

Prazi is 66g in every 1ml

Here is instructions

99C39CEF-1C7F-407E-A40E-7ED75969582F_zps

Sorry, I understand I just really want to help my fish :(

OK, I looked it up.  I would like you to double the dose as described in their instructions along with the 0.3% salt.  Days 1-4 follow the instructions as posted in their directions, Day 5 do a large WC, replace salt but not prazi.  Day 8, add prazi and keep salt at 0.3%.  That will be the beginning of round 2.

ETA:

We will probably keep salt at 0.3% for the first 2 rounds then drop salt to 0.1% and single dose prazi for the remaining rounds . .  . depends mostly on how the fish react.

I know.  We've all been there.  :hug

Edited by fantailfan1

OK, I looked it up.  I would like you to double the dose as described in their instructions along with the 0.3% salt.  Days 1-4 follow the instructions as posted in their directions, Day 5 do a large WC, replace salt but not prazi.  Day 8, add prazi and keep salt at 0.3%.  That will be the beginning of round 2.

Ok will they manage that much does, I presume it's ok to overdose this med. Also as for days 1-4 do I double those does too. Thank you

Prazi is very safe.  When we have salt at 0.3% we need to double dose it as the salt decreases the prazis efficacy.  You can more than double dose it and it will be fine . . .  I can't remember by how much you can overdose but it's a lot.  Just to be sure--prazi is the only ingredient in it?

Yes, double dose prazi and 0.3% salt for days 1-4.  :D

Prazi is very safe.  When we have salt at 0.3% we need to double dose it as the salt decreases the prazis efficacy.  You can more than double dose it and it will be fine . . .  I can't remember by how much you can overdose but it's a lot.  Just to be sure--prazi is the only ingredient in it?

Yes, double dose prazi and 0.3% salt for days 1-4.  :D

Just done a 30% water change to reduce nitrates and redone salt to that 30% so water is at 0.3% salinity. 180 drops added.

One more question, can I do a water change mid round if I re add the correct amount of prazi and salt? Or will it be ok with a bit higher nitrates? Thank you so much!

I always just add the appropriate amount of medicine to the new water.  No one will scold you for changing too much water!

Edit: Sniped by Lisa AGAIN!  Great minds think too much alike. :D

Edited by shakaho