Sign in to follow this  
lindseyfiish

Eye issue

New telescope from DO in QT for three weeks. Just noticed this white thing in its eye.

All else is normal - fish is still looking a bit skinnier than the other telescope she came with. But I am still feeding very lightly - lots of algae in the tank to keep them busy.

4 fish in a well established 40 gallon QT - all from DO. 90% water changes once every 48 hours.

Ammonia/nitrite 0

Nitrate between 5-15ppm

Everyone is eating pooping and swimming normally ... No treatments since arrival - I plan to do 2 rounds of prazi before they move out of QT but haven't done anything else because they look great - even the super rotund pearscale!

It looks like a cataract to me.  No treatment and it may get bigger . . . that looks kind of small, like it doesn't include the entire lens.   :D  They are quite common in telescopes.

Lisa is an eye expert ;)

I hope it's nothing to worry about!!! ... I have had a lot of issues (luckily I've only lost 1 fish since I started keeping Goldie's)

I think the issues all stem from poor water quality - coming from my old well - not due to my maintenance I hope. But I have to add coral (for ph) and have seen a large improvement since I started adding carbon/charcoal to all my aging water before water changes. I don't know what's in my well - but the fish don't like it. And I can't find anything in the testing I've done.

Is it inside the eye?

BTW--that was quick.   :rofl

That was quick.. I think one of the quickest photo posts I have seen :lol

I got one suggestion, it works some times on cats and dogs and it might work on your fish. Its gentle on the fish and may get rid of it.... Silver....

You will want something like this..... 500ppm min...

http://www.amazon.com/Amino-Acid-Botanical-Supply-Colloidal/dp/B0011DN7YQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442415505&sr=1-6&keywords=Colloidal+Silver+500PPM

Then get a 1-2 gallon bowl (with tank water), place 6 drops of silver if its the 500ppm then place fish in there for 5 mins... then place fish back into the tank, do this for atleast 7 days... :)

This is internal, Koko.  I don't think the silver is going to penetrate the cornea . . . . and even if it did, it wouldn't get rid of the clouding.

Lisa is an eye expert ;)

Indeed she is!  Does she prescribe little fishy glasses and have little fishy eye charts?

This is internal, Koko.  I don't think the silver is going to penetrate the cornea . . . . and even if it did, it wouldn't get rid of the clouding.

I know that i can work on cats and dogs... you place a drop in each eye, for a while. Just a thought... and it couldnt hurt...:)

I know that i can work on cats and dogs... you place a drop in each eye, for a while. Just a thought... and it couldnt hurt... :)

It wouldn't work on cataracts or people wouldn't be getting cataract surgery, they'd be getting silver drops . . . .

This is internal, Koko. I don't think the silver is going to penetrate the cornea . . . . and even if it did, it wouldn't get rid of the clouding.

I know that i can work on cats and dogs... you place a drop in each eye, for a while. Just a thought... and it couldnt hurt... :)

It wouldn't work on cataracts or people wouldn't be getting cataract surgery, they'd be getting silver drops . . . .

that made me giggle :rofl

Well today I don't see the white thing... It really didn't look cloudy like a cataract but I am not a fish eye expert. So yeah... It disappeared!?!!?? I have been watching her swim around - she isn't still very often so it's hard to see... But it almost looked like there was a bit of clouding at the bottom of her eye... But yesterday the white thing was so super obvious... It is gone...

Yeah, it actually looks more external in these pics.  Cataracts are usually deeper in the globe.  It might have been due to trauma.  Teles are are always bumping into stuff  :teehee

This is internal, Koko. I don't think the silver is going to penetrate the cornea . . . . and even if it did, it wouldn't get rid of the clouding.

that made me giggle :rofl

Glad I can humor you