Spawning Complications

goldfishgirl82

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have not treated her yet, right? I think it's time. What do you have or what can you get? :idont

I have metroplex, kanaplex, prazi, aquarium salt, levamisole, and mela/pimafix... and I can probably get epsom salt if necessary and possibly some other things. I know the local fish stores here carry many of the other meds you guys often recommend.

Also, since I took off the HOB filter and replaced it with the sponge filter, she seems to be swimming more upright. She's still very floaty, but at least she's not upside down at the moment. There was a tiny bit more poop in the tank when I woke up as well. Not as much as there should have been though. 

Let's go with the metro and kana.  Please use 2 measures of the metro . . .

Has she been treated with these meds before/recently?  :idont

She has not. Also it's a 10 gallon tank. Use 2x the amount for a 10 gallon tank? Also, for how long should I do the Metro? I know Kana has says only 3 doses...

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Don't the directions for the metro say use 1-2 measures per 10 gallons?  If so, use 2. 

We will use the metro for 14 days and the kana for 12 days.  Jared has confirmed with Seachem that kana is ok to use kana for 2 rounds of 6 days.  :D

Don't the directions for the metro say use 1-2 measures per 10 gallons?  If so, use 2. 

We will use the metro for 14 days and the kana for 12 days.  Jared has confirmed with Seachem that kana is ok to use kana for 2 rounds of 6 days.  :D

Gotcha! Just wanted to clarify before putting it in. :)

Also, in the bigger tank where I pulled her out of, I saw one tiny, tiny surviving fry. It was gone before I could get my net and pull it out though. I'm sure it'll get eaten before I can find it again. I'm surprised anything made it with the way the others were eating the eggs. I guess I was a goldie grandma for a minute there... Too bad it was at the worst possible time to save any of them.  :doh11:

Have now done two doses of the medication. Clementine has perked up a little bit. She's been fully upright this whole time now. Has a healthy appetite! Still not a lot of poop, but more than before. I'll let you know if anything changes. Just wanted to give a quick update. 

Update:

Tomorrow is the last day with the Kanaplex, then there will be four more days (two doses) with the metroplex. So far she seems to be improving. She still seems a bit floaty, but she's FINALLY starting to poop normally. It took a while. I think she's lonely without her tank mates so I moved her QT next to the big tank so she can at least see them. Here is a photo and video I took today:

IMG_3865_zpsqvb7kfc3.jpg

Video (note: I think she's a bit scared of the red light on my camera):

Edited by goldfishgirl82

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I forgot to mention, Clementine is all through her antibiotics now and still looking like she's doing okay. I am now on to a second round or Prazi before putting her back in her tank. I'm thinking she got injured in the whole mess because she still doesn't hold her tail up as high as she used to and kind of looks a little like a wilted flower, but she's eating and swimming around, and seems in better spirits overall. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, bringing this thread up again because there are new, unpleasant developments. I just put Clementine back in her big tank about three days ago. She was in there with two other fish, Lacey my big female and Trinket my smallest male. For about a day it seemed okay. She seemed to have trouble swimming a bit because I think she was injured pretty bad those few weeks ago. Anyways, yesterday they started spawning AGAIN (  :wall  ) and now Clementine is having even more trouble. The two other fish ripped her tail to shreds and she seems to be having trouble keeping herself upright again. The weirdest thing though, my big female Lacey was taking big clumps of C's tail in her mouth and chewing on it. I don't know why, but I suspect maybe because she saw she was injured and was picking at it? I have separated her back to the quarantine tank because she was getting picked on, and she's just sort of floating at the top. I suspect she may have a damaged swim bladder or tail. I will try to get a photo or video later. 

A question... Why do you think Lacey was "eating" her tail like that? Also, she never holds her tail in the normal position anymore. I think maybe it is severely damaged or broken. Should I just keep her isolated for now?

I don't know of any "rule" about this, but if I put a fish in a hospital tank for treatment, I don't return that fish to its pond for at least a month -- and more likely 2 or 3 months -- after all symptoms are gone.  I figure some condition in the original pond led to the injury/illness and I don't want a repeat.

Poor fishie. I hope she heals quick. I have no advice unfortunalty. The only thing I could say is to keep her seprated to prevent any further damage. :undecided:

I don't know of any "rule" about this, but if I put a fish in a hospital tank for treatment, I don't return that fish to its pond for at least a month -- and more likely 2 or 3 months -- after all symptoms are gone.  I figure some condition in the original pond led to the injury/illness and I don't want a repeat.

It had been over a month and the treatments were done, she was looking better. Two days after putting her back they spawned again and it started over. It wasn't the exact same tank, it was a larger tank with less fish in it. Everything was complicated because of moving across the country and not having my tanks. Originally she was put into a 36 gallon tank with three males and a female. I did not expect things to happen a second time since the fish I put her in with weren't a problem to her before we moved or even after (they are in my other big tank). Apparently since we got here it's been a spawn fest. Unfortunately, I can't keep a ton of extra tanks running indefinitely because the lease only allows the amount of tanks they specified when we moved in. I'm trying not to prolong the hospital tanks any longer than I have to. 

At what point can you tell something is an injury that will heal, or a permanent deformity from having been injured. Because after five weeks when a fish doesn't hold up their tail anymore, one starts to think it may just have been a permanent injury and that all that can be done has been done.... That was part of it. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82