Spawning Complications

goldfishgirl82

So, as many of you know, I just recently made a cross country move with all my fish. Because I am still waiting on the movers to get here with my tanks, my fish are not in their normal homes. My largest 4 goldies are in a 36 bow front I bought when I got here. Right after putting the fish into this tank, they started spawning. My female fish, Clementine is the one everyone is chasing. She is producing eggs. Today, she seems to have developed complications. I'm wondering if the eggs have gotten impacted or if the stress has just messed her up in some way. She's upside down on the bottom and breathing heavy. I am attaching some photos here and a video. 

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.25
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

Note: I left a bucket of water out over night. My ph does not drop on its own. It seems to be something in the tank causing it to drop rather rapidly, even after changing the water. The filter media I saved in the fish buckets during transport got exposed to a rather low ph when the water in the buckets lost quality, but not sure if this would affect it at all. 

• Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API drops
  • * Water temperature? 74 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 36 gallons, -- 3 days
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaTop CF 400
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?  I've been changing 25% daily
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  Yesterday 25%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?  4 goldfish around 4 - 5" (not their permanent home)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?  Ultimate Water Conditioner and Tetra Safe Start
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I have been feeding them once a day, brown sea weed.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Aquarium Salt 0.1%
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? listed above
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? listed above

Video:

Edited by goldfishgirl82

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say to directly do a large WC 75%+ and add the salt and double dose dechlorinator. I would also use clay minerals to help them restore but maybe you dont have.

I hope the med team here wil help you along soon!

Edited by Hinfin

:hi

Let's start by bringing that pH up.  What was your pH in CA?  Do you have a KH test kit?

She may be exhausted.  Can you isolate her?  (I know you just moved . . . . )

KH test is on the moving truck (which may never get here). Ph in CA was the same as it is here out of the tap, around 7.6. I am not sure why it keeps falling once I put it in the tank. It doesn't fall when I leave it out in buckets overnight. I used to use crushed coral in my filters in SD (didn't really need to but it kept things stable), am thinking about going out to get some of that to help stabilize it again. I am also thinking I may need to go get a cheapy 10 gallon tank to isolate Clementine. I think she may be exhausted like you say. I don't want to put her back in a bucket though. I fear I won't be able to see what's going on with her. 

A question, is it possible something happened to my anubius or drift wood in transport that could be dropping the Ph? They were put in separate tubs and exposed to varying temps, had no fish with them and no air stone. They went sealed as if in a bag. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Also, when I did the 25% water change last night it gave me a cycle bump. I'm wondering if the BB's were not as well preserved as I had hoped. Changing water alone shouldn't have given me Nitrites like that should it? I added some Tetra Safe Start for now...

Edited by goldfishgirl82

The crushed coral will help in the long run, but in the short run you will need baking soda. A pH of 6.8 is OK, but you don't want it lower.

A teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons will protect your fish from nitrites. The nitrite will still be there and will read in the test, but won't poison your fish.

The crushed coral will help in the long run, but in the short run you will need baking soda. A pH of 6.8 is OK, but you don't want it lower.

A teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons will protect your fish from nitrites. The nitrite will still be there and will read in the test, but won't poison your fish.

I think I figured out the problem. The tap water tests at 20 or less Kh (the test was hard to read, but it was clearly very low). In the tank it is about 0. So I will have to buffer my water like it's RO water basically. Sigh... Back to the store again. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Okay, so the ph/kh problem may be taken care of. I went to the local fish store that I went to yesterday and talked to the guy again. He was very knowledgeable about the area and the different water situations around here. The city I live in pretty much ends up with RO water coming out of the tap and has to be buffered up for most fish. Other areas have different issues more like where I came from in CA. So, I decided to just go with a product I'm familiar with, the Malawi Victoria Buffer (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/MalawiBuffer.html ) which will take the water to between 7.8 and 8.4 ph. He recommended mixing the amount I need in a 5 gallon bucket and adding it very slowly over the next several hours, which is what I'm doing. I am seeing some improvements in the fish. Clementine not as much as the others, but some. The Nitrites are going down with the adding of the Tetra Safe Start, and I have the salt in. I'm hoping by morning there is marked improvement, or else I will separate Clementine and ask for further advice on that situation. I still can't get photobucket to work running from my cell phone internet signal, it's too weak I suspect. I'll try again later. 

Well, as of this morning Clementine is still laying on the bottom breathing a bit heavy (though not as bad as yesterday), but the other three fish seem to be doing better. Nitrites are down to 0, Ph has been buffered up to 7.6. I did it over the course of two hours last night. I'm wondering now if Clementine's issues are related to the spawning or if she has been effected by some sort of ph shock from being in the bucket and it dropping so low... Either way, should I separate her? 

Here are photos:

11863436_10153600364949705_5551496323582

12032222_10153600366189705_6127082375423

12033145_10153600366309705_5890083367711

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I am not sure if she's pooped, but she does appear to be eating. There may still be eggs coming out of her. I just saw a few on the bottom of the tank that weren't there last time I looked, but they may have been under the plant I moved. She does move around a bit and tries to right herself, but mostly she lays on her side under the plants.

Okay. I will set up a QT tank in a little bit and get her in it. What should I feed her, if anything? So far I've been giving her seaweed and some New Era pellets, but very small amounts since the fish haven't eaten much in the last week. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

There is some poop, but it's a very tiny amount for what it should be. There are some tiny, thin little "pellets." I've given her a pea and one small helping of sea weed since I last posted. All that fiber and not much action. Getting worried. She is swimming around more now, but she is allowing herself to get stuck to the filter intake. When I push her off she swims around for a while, but when she gets tired, she lets herself sit there stuck to it.  :yikes

12036553_10153603479644705_2719472292050

​I would suggest adding some layers of panty hose or something else to keep her from being damaged by the filter intake, or simply removing the filter all together and substituting an air stone wrapped in filter floss. All to prevent her getting damaged and to be gentler on her until she gets back on her fins.

​I would suggest adding some layers of panty hose or something else to keep her from being damaged by the filter intake, or simply removing the filter all together and substituting an air stone wrapped in filter floss. All to prevent her getting damaged and to be gentler on her until she gets back on her fins.

Good suggestion Chelsea. I do have a sponge filter with me I could use instead and it would provide aeration as well. I could switch to that. 

I'm sorry this is happening to you! :( I hope things get better!

Thanks.  :hug