Where fish sleep

QandD

After the cuddling thread, I am curious: do any of your fish not always sleep at the bottom of the tank, but in the top third (not floating listless at the surface, I should add)? I'm not sure why my fish do this periodically, even when they aren't having water quality issues (I have a weak cycle right now, but nitrates aren't a problem). They don't seem to have any swim bladder problems, either. 

Edited by QandD

I have a pond. It ihas a light over it (although I try not to startle them without reason), and I have a infrared headlamp that barely disturbs them.

Last night the fish were sleeping in the middle of the pond with no cover, spaced out with at least 2-4 inches between them.  They were in the middle of the water column as well.  I find it weird that they don't hide when they sleep. They've had a predator heron visit at least twice.

Some of you know about the endearing trait my fish Goldie Hawn has of sleeping in the pond's above water viewing dome.
goldie.jpg

I've asked the Koko's community why they think she does this, and here were the responses:

Some of the possible reasons:

1. No current. She can rest easier in here

2. Warmer water temperature

3. Less water pressure

4. She can successfully locate food in here (whenever I put some in) and so wants to stay as close as possible at all times

5. She likes the penthouse view.  :teehee

My fish usually sleep at the middle or lower part of the tank, but sometimes they do sleep in the upper third of the tank. Also, about 90% of the time all three will sleep in the right side of the tank. Not sure what's going on with that, but if they like sleeping there and swimming everywhere else that's cool with me.

i have had  goldfish  that  some like it  to sleep on the top  ,  meanwhile others  liked to do it  on the  middle  or almost on the bottom ,    just watch  for any  Swwiming  bladder problems , also  look  for the  balance of the fish too ....  good luck  :thumbup2: