How to treat my fish..

Ajnk17

My fish aren't sick, but I was just reading it is good to treat your fish with prazi when you first get them either way and I've never treated my fish. :( I just purchased hikiari prazipro and prime secheam paragaurd. I was hoping to treat all three fish at the same time in my main tank. I've never used anything like this before so if it could be explained to me in dummy terms and every step I'd appreciate it. :P I have also purchased API aquarium salt.

My main problem is that I'm unsure how to properly remove the carbon from my filter. I use Aqueon quiet flow and the carbon is already in the filter. I wouldn't be able to remove it without ruining the filter cartridge itself or removing the whole thing. So my fear is messing up my cycle. And if I remove the cartridge what would I do with it? In order for the BB to stay alive doesn't it have to be in water? I just added ceramic balls to the back of the filter today so I don't have any BB on there quit yet. Any help/tips are greatly appreciated! :)

By the way I'm not/wasn't planning on using both of the medications at the same time. I just purchased the two to have just in case anything were to happen.

Take a look at these :) on the aqueons, the bio is mainly on the blue grate holding the filter cartridge and the other blue grate at the outflow of the filter.

Edited by Mikey

Ah that is very helpful. It looks like tomorrow I will have a little project on my hands.

A question from the first video, should I add carbon after the treatment is done? She mentioned something about it taking out the medication. Is that necessary? Or will my water changes take it out?

Most movers here do not use carbon. We do how wet keep it on hands in case we need to remove a medication or some contaminant is in the water And a water change cannot be done. Most of the time the carbon will remove that.

If you're just going to be treating with salt and prazi I wouldn't. Worry about putting carbon back in.

Oh, and another suggestion! :teehee if that aquarium salt isn't open yet, I would suggest returning it and then running to walmart or your local grocery store and get mortons canning and pickling salt. Much much cheaper and it's the same exact stuff ;). It would be 3/4 teaspoon per gallon to get to .1% salt because it is a finer grain of salt than the aquarium salt. And if you can't find the mortons, any salt that has zero additives will work. Just make sure under the ingredients list the only ingredient is salt.

Edited by Mikey

Dang it. I opened it to see how big the salt was. :( oh well!

If you bought it from Amazon, you can say that you felt that the description was misleading and want to return it. They're very good about those things. Or, you could just use it and then move over to pickling salt in the future. You'll need to do full teaspoons with aquarium salt, though. Either way, you can dissolve it in a stocking initially and the fish won't mind. For water changes, it is best to just dissolve the salt in the replacement water. If you dose up to .3% salt (1 tbsp/gallon rather than tsp/gallon, which is .1%), you will need to double dose PraziPro, and increase the salt by .1% every 12 hours until you get to .3% to avoid shocking the fish. 

I'm not a moderator or helper, but I thought I'd share a bit about what I learned when first dosing my fish with Prazi, if the forum doesn't mind. 

It seems like you have read it, but I thought I'd just post the Prazi protocol recommended here for your convenience. When I first did Prazi (after not ever properly doing it for several years ....), I found it helpful. If your fish have a lot of flukes, though, they might be spazzing, flashing, or sulky for the first couple of rounds since it's not fun to be dewormed! I flipped out all over this forum about this behavior, so I thought I'd share!

Also, if you have sharp ornaments or driftwood I would consider removing them, since my Duchess knocked off quite a few scales when she bounced off of otherwise smooth driftwood  :doh11:

Last thing: unlike antibiotics, I believe that Prazi just kind of disperses itself after about 5 days, so you don't need to worry about running carbon, as Mikey has already confirmed. 

Edited by QandD

Dang it. I opened it to see how big the salt was. :( oh well!

If you bought it from Amazon, you can say that you felt that the description was misleading and want to return it. They're very good about those things. Or, you could just use it and then move over to pickling salt in the future. You'll need to do full teaspoons with aquarium salt, though. Either way, you can dissolve it in a stocking initially and the fish won't mind. For water changes, it is best to just dissolve the salt in the replacement water. If you dose up to .3% salt (1 tbsp/gallon rather than tsp/gallon, which is .1%), you will need to double dose PraziPro, and increase the salt by .1% every 12 hours until you get to .3% to avoid shocking the fish. 

I'm not a moderator or helper, but I thought I'd share a bit about what I learned when first dosing my fish with Prazi, if the forum doesn't mind. 

It seems like you have read it, but I thought I'd just post the Prazi protocol recommended here for your convenience. When I first did Prazi (after not ever properly doing it for several years ....), I found it helpful. If your fish have a lot of flukes, though, they might be spazzing, flashing, or sulky for the first couple of rounds since it's not fun to be dewormed! I flipped out all over this forum about this behavior, so I thought I'd share!

Also, if you have sharp ornaments or driftwood I would consider removing them, since my Duchess knocked off quite a few scales when she bounced off of otherwise smooth driftwood  :doh11:

Last thing: unlike antibiotics, I believe that Prazi just kind of disperses itself after about 5 days, so you don't need to worry about running carbon, as Mikey has already confirmed.

I bought it from my LFS. Not a big deal, but next time I will switch over. Thanks for your info!

Yesterday on was WC day, and I took out my big dragon that they might have issues with. I'm thinking I need to finally suck it up and buy the Python in order to do this. I know it will pay for itself right away.