Sign in to follow this  
Anorea

Lemon doesn't appear to be able to eat. :(

Hi, everyone.

Lemon is the new Ranchu I picked up from terrible conditions at walmart 4 days ago.

Lemon is a bit less than one inch long. He is in a 1.5G tank. I change the water daily. I don't know the specs on the water I use, at the moment, as my test kit is at my friends house, but I do know that the water is filtered by reverse osmosis, and is accredited by the state. It's so clean that scientists come to get water from there to use in experiments, sometimes. I add about 1/2tsp of salt, and 3ml of API Stress Coat when I change the water.

Lemon has an anubias in with him. The filter is a small cartridge whisper filter. He doesn't appear to have any sort of external parasites, or damages except to his fins(ragged). I'm feeding him Tetrafin variety pellets, and an unsalted, frozen pea every other day.

Lemon appears to be listless most of the day. He isn't bottom-sitting, but he just kinda treads water mid-tank for long periods of time. (as if sleeping)

Today I noticed when I got home that Lemon was opening and closing his mouth a whole lot, so I gave him 4 little pellets. He immediately went for them, but it's like his depth perception (or something) is off. He kept swimming just to the sides of the food, and missing everytime. I watched him for about 30 minutes, and he wasn't able to eat a single piece of food, although he was very excited. It looks like he isn't opening his mouth all the way. He didn't stop opening and closing his mouth very quickly the whole time. I'm looking at his tank now, (about an hour and a half after feeding) and his food isn't visible, so he either got to it, or the filter sucked it up.

Does this sound like anything to you guys, or am I being paranoid?

This is Lemon: 

21122965708_cf10c8d2f1_o.jpg

Thanks everyone! ^_^

To me, it sounds like flukes. This is the reason we suggested treating both of your new fish with prazi. I'm wondering if there is a big difference in your tap and tank pH being as it is R/O water. R/O water usually has a lower kH and an unstable pH because of the lower kH.

I am going to make a suggestion, and I will let the mods decide on whether or not this route should be taken.

In the mean time, please get your test kit back asap and test your water for us. 

Hi there!

I have some suspicions as to what may be wrong based on your post, but if you could please put the info into this handy dandy form it helps us keep it organized to refer back to over the course of treatment and gives us clues that might otherwise get missed :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/

Generally speaking, RO water is bad for fish - they need the trace minerals to help their osmotic regulation. Adding baking soda or a product like Wonder Shells is highly advised if a good source of mineralized tap water or well water isn't available. He's a cutie fish, btw!

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
    • * Temp = 72F last I checked
    • * 1.5G, 4 days running.
    • * Whisper small cartridge filter
    • * 100% water change every day.
  • * Daily, 100% water change.
  • * One fish. Less than one inch long.
  • * Salt, API Stress Coat + Tap conditioner
  • * Tetrafin small variety pellets, everyday (about 4 pieces) and frozen, thawed, unsalted peas (one every other day).
  • * Lemon is the only fish
  • * Doesn't appear to have external parasites or anything of the ilk.
  • * Stays pretty stationary mid-tank for prolonged periods of time. Doesn't seem able to "catch" his food. Slight constipation (Getting better, from what I can tell, with the peas) This has only happened today, none of the other days.

I'll get my test kit tomorrow, hopefully. I didn't know reverse osmosis water was bad for fish! I should have researched it more. I figured it was good, being pure to drink and all. This is the first time I tried using it for QT. D: My tap water is horrendous, with tons of heavy minerals and things. About how much baking soda do you think I should add per gallon? Thanks for the cute compliment! ^_^ I'll relay it to Lemon. 

Edited by Anorea

I suggest  you start by adding some tap water to that RO water  --  maybe half and half.  Tap water approved for human consumption rarely harms goldfish.  

An inability to fully open the mouth strongly suggests a heavy gill fluke infestation as Mikey has pointed out.  

​Okay so I haven't been able to get my test kit, but yesterday I watched Lemon a lot, and he didn't have the same issues at all. He was opening his mouth fully, and not being lethargic at all. I'm going to do 50-50 tap/non-tap water today for his water and see if he seems to do anything different. Maybe that day was some sort of weird one-time thing? Anyway I'm thinking about putting some Prazi. Do you guys think it's needed? I feel like I should just to be safe.

Edited by Anorea

We really, really need you to get your water tested. Like, don't spend money on another thing for your tank before acquiring a good liquid test kit. API's freshwater master test kit is the easiest to obtain in the states.

Prazi and salt rounds are a must for quarantining new fish, but knowing your water chemistry is the cornerstone of fish keeping. We are water keepers, first and foremost.

I swear I'm not being lazy about the test kit. D: I actually have that exact test kit, but the problem is that I used it last with my 75G tank which is temporarily at a friends house while I recover from my accident/get a bigger place, and he works weird hours, so I can't get to my fish/fish stuff very often. I would just go buy another, but we don't have a pet store that carries any fish stuff besides food, here. D: I'm going to the friends house tonight though, so I should have test results tonight to post.

Okay so these were my results when I used the kit on Monday. Sorry I'm just now posting. I didn't see anything weird, except maaaybe too low PH? So bought some prazi, and I'm using it now. He hasn't acted weird or had the same symptoms since I made the first post/topic. Do you guys think it was maybe just flukes, or maybe just he was acting strangely? I dunno. D:

• Ammonia Level: 0
  • * Nitrite Level: 0
  • * Nitrate level: 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank: 7.1

So what do you guys think? In any case, he is all better.

Good job.  The pH is OK if it remains stable.  What is the pH of your tap water?

Thanks everyone! ^_^ He's all better now, so should I delete this thread or something?

You can check the 'answered' box in the post if you'd like, otherwise just let it float down into the archives. I'm glad Lemon is on the mend!