Sign in to follow this  
koko

Internal Filters

Its been a long time since I even thought about these filters. But I have seen them lately and they are looking good.

Does anyone have a recommendation for one. I will be using it on my Guppy tank as I cant stand loud filters... We just bought a petsmart HOB and its so fargen loud I cant even think :o

Hi Koko!

It is a matter of preference, i have used some canister filters in the past, but to me this seems a step in between internal filters and pond filters. In my GF tanks i have (Resun) powerheads with filter ´jugs´, spongefilters and HOB´s. This works for me, at least for mechanical filtration and ease of filter cleaning. Biological filtration is ok if you maintain this setup properly, i clean the filters at every WC and never have any ammonia or nitrites. The spongefilters kind of provide BB saveguard (i think) for the powerheads and HOBs, when i clean the sponges some BB are released in the tank and will quickly reseed the other filters.

Probably the best thing about my setup is that it is practically risk free, if one filter gets clogged or dies, there are still 2 or more working.....

I am working on an 'aquarium' airlift system aswell, to improve the biological filtration effectiveness. There is allways so much to try out and improve, just wish i had MORE room for many more HUGE TANKS! :teehee

The biggest thing for me hun, is the noise. I got to keep it as quiet as I can get as the tank is in Justines room. I havent used an internal filter since the stone age... Canisters TD says is a no go.. He hates them. We had some BAD times with them :lol

I dont want to go the Air pump route as thats noisy too.. :(

Oh man edit: brain fart... power head with sponge filter.. great idea :thumbs:

Edited by Koko

Well, i have seen your study of the filter media's 'wildlife' so i think you know why i am partial to easy cleaning and mechanical filtration!

Yes the Hob's and power heads make some noise but like you say the big air pump which you will need if you have as many tanks as me is the most loud. UNLESS you spend a little more on that part, i use really heavy cast metal membrane pumps(Velda Silenta Pro series) which are quite costly but are amazingly quit. i have this pump attached to a PVC system to get the air troughout the fishroom.

Maybe ill do a vid on the airsupply system i have running, the pumps i use are not available in the USA though. Anyway, the equipment should not be louder then the sound of running water in the fishroom..... :fishtank

Well, i have seen your study of the filter media's 'wildlife' so i think you know why i am partial to easy cleaning and mechanical filtration!

Yes the Hob's and power heads make some noise but like you say the big air pump which you will need if you have as many tanks as me is the most loud. UNLESS you spend a little more on that part, i use really heavy cast metal membrane pumps(Velda Silenta Pro series) which are quite costly but are amazingly quit. i have this pump attached to a PVC system to get the air troughout the fishroom.

Maybe ill do a vid on the airsupply system i have running, the pumps i use are not available in the USA though. Anyway, the equipment should not be louder then the sound of running water in the fishroom..... :fishtank

I would live to see a video hun...

This is the only tank for us right now... Life is already a handful :lol

I forgot to mention, you can obviously run a PVC air supply from the cellar if you want!

I will make it a task to be done soon Koko!

Offcourse life is busy when you have small kids, i had 4 and during those years i had NO fish! But i'm making up for it now they are in their teens :whistle

I forgot to mention, you can obviously run a PVC air supply from the cellar if you want!

I will make it a task to be done soon Koko!

Offcourse life is busy when you have small kids, i had 4 and during those years i had NO fish! But i'm making up for it now they are in their teens :whistle

I wish I had a Cellar hun... I dont even have a basement nor a second floor :rofl

Oh man edit: brain fart... power head with sponge filter.. great idea :thumbs:

I have the 'jugs' on the powerhead equipped with medium coarse filter sponges, a 4cm hole trough to fit some bioballs so i can run multiple jugs on the powerhead without the risk of clogging! A very good simple and effective way to mechanically filter a gf tank!

I have used a Tom Aquarium Mini Internal Filter - 45 gph .  It was super quiet (in my daughters bedroom - had to be quiet).  But the quality wasn't great, noticed a crack in the top of it after a few months and was afraid to put it back under water.  So wouldn't get another Toms.  I'm not a huge fan of cleaning internal filters either, seems like every time you stop them and pull them out, the filter gunk runs out into the tank.

I ended up just putting a hob on the back and its surprisingly quiet really, just make sure to keep the water high enough not to get a water fall noise.  Occasionally I get a little rattle in the lid, but just wiggle the lid a bit till it stops.  I also put a little filter floss between the tank and the HoB wall, that seems to take some vibration noises out too.

Well guys I got the Fluval U3 for the Guppy tank... Man that thing works like a horse... We will see if a few weeks :)

So far I give it about a 8 :)

I was interested in your new filter Koko.  I need to upgrade my biological filtration in my guppy tank, but like you I need the quietest I can get.  Can you put your own media/floss/fibre in the cartridges Koko?  or does it need to have the proper cartridge to work properly... hope that makes some sense.  Is it super quiet?  Will it be ok for fry?  I would love to hear how it goes over the coming weeks!  Thanks so much Koko :hi

I have an Aquael Oxypro 150 air pump which is pretty much the quietest air pump I have found.  I don't like the constant green light on it though, too bright for me sleeping, might be good for a night light if required for kiddles though.  http://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquael_Oxypro_150_Air_Pump_p/112453.htm

Better to drive a sponge filter off a powerhead if an air stone isn't enough. They're very quiet, though the water agitating or bubbles popping can be the slightest white noise it's hardly disturbing. These are going to have more BB capacity than most internal filters for a similar amount of space, and they're actually quite good debris magnets :)

I was interested in your new filter Koko.  I need to upgrade my biological filtration in my guppy tank, but like you I need the quietest I can get.  Can you put your own media/floss/fibre in the cartridges Koko?  or does it need to have the proper cartridge to work properly... hope that makes some sense.  Is it super quiet?  Will it be ok for fry?  I would love to hear how it goes over the coming weeks!  Thanks so much Koko :hi

I have an Aquael Oxypro 150 air pump which is pretty much the quietest air pump I have found.  I don't like the constant green light on it though, too bright for me sleeping, might be good for a night light if required for kiddles though.  http://www.thetechden.com.au/Aquael_Oxypro_150_Air_Pump_p/112453.htm

I havent tried that yet... but I will when the time comes. Ill try and make my own filters. there are containers in the filter so only a certain size will fit.. So we will see.

So far this thing is really quiet and powerful :o

Fluval U series are great filters. Here's a video I did on them: