Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
misssmountain

I'm worried it may be time to say goodbye to my disabled fish...

Recommended Posts

Well guys, I am trying to decide if it may be time to say goodbye to my Ranchu :(

 

I've attached some threads that detail what's been going on with her, but she's pretty much had issues off and on since about April, and at this point her swim bladder is completely shot and she can no longer swim. At my vet visit a couple of months ago, the vet seemed to think she could still do just fine in the tank still and not be too uncomfortable. She can still scoot around the bottom of the tank (she mostly hangs out in the front of the tank, I've pushed the sand back so the front half is essentially bare bottom) and still eats just fine.

 

Sometimes she gets sores on her belly which thankfully clear up pretty quickly...she's got a big one right now, currently waiting for that one to go away :( And, this kind of chronic lump that comes and goes near her tail (see the third thread I listed below) is back. I have already done two separate treatments of Kana and Metro, which have helped to clear it up in the past, but at this point I don't know if I want to medicate any more. It frustrates me that I don't know what the lump is or why it continues to come back. The photo I just took tonight.

 

So yeah, I dunno...just kind of thinking (typing?) out loud here...I really don't know what to do :(

 

Updates about our vet visit, photo of the X-ray, and info about chronic bottom sitting in this thread: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121985-veterinary-visitswhat-is-your-opinion/

 

More bottom sitting, which prompted our vet visit: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121762-bottom-sitting/?hl=urgent

 

Back in April when the lump was very angry: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121195-urgent-large-lump-on-fishs-side-protruding-scales-and-redness-on-the-lump-only/?hl=urgent

 

This is from this evening:

IMG_20150911_191954292_zpsl5qldl2q.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awe, I'm sorry you're faced with this choice. Nobody can make it for you, the question is whether another round of treatment is merciful or whether it's time to say goodbye.

:grouphug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always one of the hardest choices we have to make.. Either way we wish all the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your Ranchu. My best to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry about your ranchu. I just read through the vet visit thread. If it were me, I would not apply another around of antibiotics. You have done so much to help this little baby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:bighug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry you're going through this :hug Does she seem like she's had enough? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, all.

 

I am trying to get a direct contact for the vet I saw a couple of months ago...he had mentioned he would be interested in doing a post-mortem on this fish should I decide to euthanize, so I want to ask if he would do the euth in exchange for that. I guess he doesn't work at this vet's office full-time, just on an as needed basis, so I need to get ahold of him directly.

 

I just watched a video on how to do the euth myself with clove oil...I actually did it for a betta years and years ago (also with vodka, which at the time was recommended), and remember it being a terrible experience. I also just wouldn't know what to do with the fish afterwards...I live in an apartment and don't have my own yard to do a burial...I could always bury her in Griffith Park, but there are so many coyotes over there I would hate to think of what would happen after the burial.

 

Black -- she still seems okay-ish in general and is eating, but has this growth on her body that is back again after I've done antibiotics twice now...I just won't be able to keep up with that going forward, and all of those meds I feel wouldn't be fair to the fish -- not to mention may stop working altogether eventually, as is the case with antibiotics. She's also had some sores on her belly that seem to be taking a lot longer to go away than they had been, and...I dunno, I just feel like maybe it is time. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw no I'm so sorry it's come to this :heart I wish you well no matter what decision you end up making

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry you are facing such a difficult decision. I recently went through this with one of my beloved fish and it's certainly not easy. I wish you all the best in making the decision. May you be comforted in knowing you have done so much to try to help your fish.  :bighug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A necropsy on this fish would be extremely interesting.

 

It is such a hard decision.  I wish you the best and give you my support in whatever you decide.  :hug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we will be saying goodbye on Saturday afternoon. :(

 

This morning when I woke up, she was in exactly the same spot she was in last night when I went to bed, and when I returned home this evening, she was on her side unable to get upright...I don't think she's dying or anything, she must have just gotten turned over and doesn't have the bouyancy needed to right herself. 

 

She still has a sore on her belly, one on her wen now...she also appears to have lost some weight in her wen too, which I've seen in this fish before, and admittedly, I've been so busy lately they've been getting their weekly WC and daily pellets, but I've slipped on the bloodworms and brine shrimp, so maybe she hasn't been getting enough to eat or enough protein?

 

I am going to the vet for this...the price they quoted me is not cheap for something I could technically do myself, but they did mention they would work with me on the price, and there is the benefit of NOT doing it myself, and avoiding the dilemma of what to do with the body. I'll see if the vet would be able to e-mail me anything he observed in the post-mortem, if he sees anything noteworthy.

 

After today, I just know it is time. There is never a good time to say goodbye to a pet, but I have a vacation coming up in 2 weeks to look forward to, and honestly, things have been so complicated with this fish since I got her in January, it will be nice to be able to sit back and just enjoy my tank again. That was something I had begun to lose sight of since every day involved a lot of problem solving, and for a second there I was even thinking of giving up entirely :(

 

There is a LFS near me that always has huge, beautiful orandas they sell for $50-75. I have a couple of trips planned in October, but will look forward to maybe bringing one of them home around holiday time (I usually stay home for the holidays and avoid travel, which might be a good and special time to get a new fish). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry its come to this. You can tell when it's time though :hug I hope they can give you some answers in the necropsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, all.

 

We decided to do the euthanasia tonight at home and cancel the vet appointment. I went to do a water change and when I removed the fish, noticed she was pineconing slightly, and simultaneously looked like she was bloated and had lost weight (her head looked shrunken, almost). I just didn't want to wait until tomorrow, put her through the hour-long drive to the vet, etc. We won't get the post-mortem now, but I am glad my fish isn't suffering.

 

My boyfriend helped (and totally took over at one point because I didn't want to watch any more)...we watched a video on Youtube and followed the instructions. I think I recognized the person who made the video as someone who posts on here. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to be as peaceful as we saw in the video -- the fish seemed conscious and was moving around for a long time before calming down a little, at which point my boyfriend administered the overdose. I'm feeling a little guilty that maybe she wasn't fully sedated properly before we put in the final dose, but he said when he did that, she went within a minute :(

 

This is my first loss in my year and a half of goldfish keeping, so it's really hard. I'm looking forward to getting a good night's sleep.

 

SIP Turbz, you were the cutest little fish ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so sorry misssmountian, you did so much for you fin baby.  I am pleased you had support from your boyfriend throughout the whole ordeal.  I hope you get a good sleep tonight, sometimes it helps make tomorrow easier.  :tou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, missmountain. :hug It's always a tough decision to make, but you did what you felt was best for your little friend. Try and remember the good times you both had together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP, dear Turbz. Your decision to euthanize was a compassionate choice. I'm sorry for your loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry about your little one :( RIP Turbz x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...