Sign in to follow this  
Phil B.

Oranda is a bit listless and bottom sits

I didn't really expect to need to post here, but here we are. Shortly after A water change on Tuesday, my red cap oranda has started to act less than energetic. Often times especially after feeding he'll move around the tank and graze and behave normally. Though he does tend to drift a lot rather than actively swim like the other fish. And when the lights are off, or I'm not at home to walk past the tank, he'll tend to bottom sit.

He still seems to have a good appetite though. SO honestly, I'l not sure if this is an issue. Its just that the bottom sitting concerns me.

Friends on Facebook have suggested I treat my tank for flukes. But I wanted a second opinion before adding medication.

·        * Ammonia Level 0ppm

·        * Nitrite Level 0ppm

·        * Nitrate level 5-10 ppm 

·        * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

·        * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0

Other Required Info:

·        * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Freshwater Master Test Kit

·        * Water temperature? 74 F

·        * Tank size (75 gallons) and how long has it been running? About 3.5 months

·        * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? An Aquaclear 70 and a 110 with sponge filter attachment.

·        * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly.

·        * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  Change 50% three days ago.

·        * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fancy goldfish, each around 3 inches

·        * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Tap Water Conditioner

·        * What do you feed your fish and how often? Usually fed twice a day. Hikari Lion Head sinking pellets once daily, the second feeding alternates between homemade gel food, blood worms, or a veggie of some kind.Usually brocolli.

·        * Any new fish added to the tank? No

·        * Any medications added to the tank? No

·        * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. None yet.

·        * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Appearance-wise he seems fine.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  When things are quiet, he ends to bottom sit behind tank decorations.

And while he eats normally, at other times he tends to slowly swim near the bottom instead of cruising the tank actively. His body also tends to tilt to the side while swimming from time to time. I also noticed that his last poop was white, and had blobs along its length rather than being a thin strand. (not sure if relevant)

A disease assistant or moderator will be by soon, can you remind us: did you get your fish from a breeder and that is why you originally did not treat using prazi?

Do you have a quarantine tank and epsom salt? Just in case they ask you to separate the fish and treat for constipation.

BTW, poop is always relevant :teehee

Can you get a video of his behavior? Bottom sitting, listing to one side, swimming . . . Are you sure he's a "he"?

Glad to report that he (or she) seems to have made a full recovery. They're swimming and grazing with the other fish, with no real sign of illness. Constipation is certainly a possibility, as I fed my fish peas on Weds, then fasted them on Thursday.

All fish were purchased at the same time at the same small pet store. I do have a bottle of PraziPro. Should I go ahead and treat them even though there's no longer any signs of illness?

He was probably just sitting there thinking, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"

Edited by shakaho

I wouldn't be surprised Shakaho. :)

He seems to have made a full recovery.