Little beige bugs? What happens when you leave a tank running.

EvilVegan

Hey guys/gals,

I set up a very simple planted tank (to grow duckweed in), and I wanted to see what happened if I just "left it".

I took the filter media out, so the filter is just circulating water.  Old plant matter has turned into a fine powder and is suspended in the water column.  It's really gross.  It doesn't smell bad or anything.

But today I was looking at it, and what I thought was disturbances of the nasty gunk at the bottom looks to be some sort of tiny bug.  Smaller than a gnat.  There are dozens of them scooting around the bottom of the tank.

Any idea how long until new species of fish evolve from this kind of soup?  

If they're sitting on the bottom crawling around, what could they be?

I took a video, but it was bad.  I might be able to take pics if you want to see a nasty setup left for a few months.

Here's an animated gif of them, the brown/greyish stuff on the right is plant detritus that's completely disintegrated. "Dozens" may have been an underestimate.  The entire surface of the bottom of the tank is like this.

ROaPSzT.gif

Edited by EvilVegan

I assume these are gammarus, a micro "shrimp" that eats detritus.  They are great water cleaners that you find in pond filters.  You don't find many in the pond because they are fish food.