Sign in to follow this  
DAllen

Observation on initial treatment for whitespot (Ich)

Hi there,

I observed something strange when beginning treatment for Ich on a newly purchased very small black comet last night. This fish was purchased from a tank with one individual showing very obvious signs of Ich.

In my treatment tank, after adding fish and then pre-heating to 26C at 1C/hr, I dosed as instructed with the first amount of Waterlife Protozin. While the little thing did initially respond with some shock to the treatment, it recovered after an hour or so. But that's not the strange thing. What I observed to my surprise were a half dozen or so small white spots actually appear on its upper head and body and then drop off. From appearance to dropping off took a minute or so. Is this usual? I can say with certainty that there were no visible signs of any parasite load prior to this treatment.

This is my first experience with white spot in my three years of keeping fish so this disease and its symptoms in practice are new to me.

FYI - Waterlife Protozin contents Malachite Green (0.085% w/v), Formaldehyde (0.07%) and Copper Sulphate (0.015%) and dosed at 2.5ml/25l

Cheers

David

That's interesting. Do you think it was ich that hadn't yet developed to the point of presenting as a white spot?

I look forward to seeing what others think of this as I've been fortunate enough not to have any fish with ich.

I've honestly no idea... this is my first treatment for ich and a quarantine measure before adding the little fella to my main tank. Weird to see and I haven't found mention of it in my research prior to beginning treatment.

I've only ever treated one fish for ich and he had just one spot per day for 3 days.  :rofl  But they each were on him for one day, not an hour.  I do think that is rather unusual.  :idont  Are you sure it's ich?  Given his history it probably is . . . .

We typically treat ich with 0.3% salt and heat to 78-80*.  It works great and is much more gentle than other treatments.  :D  Just FYI.  :D

It's certainly not the kindest of treatments but is supposed to be more effective. I'm exercising extreme caution with this new fish as I really, really do not want ick in my main tank....

"More effective" or "Effective more quickly" would be the question I would ask.

Since QT is supposed to be a minimum of 4 weeks, you don't have to worry about the treatment acting quickly. Salt and heat treatment is definitely very effective without a single chemical. This also lowers the chance of you losing the fish due to its already-compromised state being effected by the harsh chemicals.

Sound advice, ChelseaM. Would you know if the salt is plant-, biofilter- and invert-safe? My main tank has all three and this would be good to know.

Any ideas about my original question by any chance? I've just spent some time observing the fish on the second dose of treatment and didn't see a repeat.

Sound advice, ChelseaM. Would you know if the salt is plant-, biofilter- and invert-safe? My main tank has all three and this would be good to know.

Any ideas about my original question by any chance? I've just spent some time observing the fish on the second dose of treatment and didn't see a repeat.

Salt can hurt some plants. Like Swords dont like salt very much at all....Its safe for the filter and some inverts dont mind... Snails dont like salt...

The meds could have burned the ich dudes off, but I agree the safest way to deal with Ich is Salt and heat :)