Sign in to follow this  
Anorea

New Ranchu! Thoughts on Names + Question!

My fiance helped me pick out a friend for Schmendrik (Just posted about him in the See those Ranchus thread about a month ago)!
We aren't sure of his name yet, but we are thinking Lemon Drop or Lemon Dust, or maybe something else entirely. Any suggestions?

Another thing is, I am a little weirded out by the black on him. It looks to speckley to be plain old black colouration to me. Is it maybe a burn of some kind?
Anyway, I got him from the same place I got Schmendrik, and they were tank mates there, so I hope they remember each other!! I'm surprised this little guy survived Walmart for three and a half weeks. His poor little fins... D: He's now in the same little quarantine tank I had Schmendrik in, healing and waiting to rejoin his friendo. :D
21122965708_41eb097479_k.jpg
20688166714_4a1d18fd24_k.jpg

Beautiful fish.

I believe if you already have a fish in qt and introduce another into the same tank, it's like starting the quarantine over again.

Just keep that in mind.

I'm terrible with names, but Speckles comes to mind.

Good luck with the new fish :)

Beautiful fish.

I believe if you already have a fish in qt and introduce another into the same tank, it's like starting the quarantine over again.

Just keep that in mind.

I'm terrible with names, but Speckles comes to mind.

Good luck with the new fish :)

I moved Schmendrik to a 36G bow-front a few days ago. :D So they are in separate tanks, staring at each other. :P Speckles is cute, I'll tell the fiance! :D

Edited by Anorea

Very cute!!  Speckles is a perfect name!!

He is so cute!  I love the way he is looking at you when you took the photo.  So adorable!

What a cutie!! :)

Are you going to be salting and prazi-ing him?

He is a calico ranch it appears to me and the black looks normal to me. It may eventually fade away, but then again, it may also get darker. It all has to do with genetics.

Cute fish! I think the black is the last remnants of his fry coloration, and that he'll be an orange fish eventually. Just my :twocents .

Edited by RanchuDressing

Thanks everyone! ^_^ My fiance still kinda wants to name him Lemon. -__- lol I think Speckles would be cute though. :D 
I am changing his water everyday and adding salt, yes. :P By the way, he is only maybbbee an inch long. :P He is in a 1.5G tank atm. He seems pretty lethargic due to the damage from Walmart it seems. I kinda hope his black goes away! XD He is all goldy underneath it. :D I can't wait to put him and Schmendrik together! 

He is just the cutest, congrats! :heart

I think those are just speckles of melanin from his fry colouring, they will likely fade, they did with my fry anyway. 

Will look forward to seeing how he turns out, a lovely yellow chu maybe :)

Love :wub and I totally agree Speckles is an awesome name! :banana

Adorable little chu and agree it's fry coloring :)

I wouldn't name him based on his coloration, simply because that can change. The last black bits definitely look like fry coloring to me, so they will likely fade away and you'll end up with a solid orange fish or an orange and white fish.

Talking on colouring when a white wen goes yellow is it turning orange?

I wouldn't name him based on his coloration, simply because that can change. The last black bits definitely look like fry coloring to me, so they will likely fade away and you'll end up with a solid orange fish or an orange and white fish.

But you know speckles is an awesome name...

Cute little fish!

If a white wen turns yellow it could mean many different things.

It could be due to diet. Adding foods like Repashy Soilent Green or Super Green could turn the wen colors due to the high algae content.

It could be due to color-change.

It could just be the coloration of the fish's wen to begin with.

Are you following our quarantine procedure with these two fish? Please follow the procedure "For Fish Purchased from a Questionable Source"

Very cute!!!!

Do you have a slightly larger QT available? I see that you say he is in a 1.5 gallon at the moment. 

We prefer a ~10 gallon container for quarantine since medications often come in premeasured packets for 10 gallons.  It doesn't have to be an aquarium.  A plastic storage tote works well, particularly if it is shallow with a lot of surface area.

How much of the salt and prazi treatment have you completed for the original fish?

Thanks for all the compliments! I will tell Lemon/Speckles/Snickets that you all like him! :D His little fins already look a lot better from his salt treatments! :D I am also giving him water from this water guy here in town who has such great water that he is known statewide for it, and sometimes scientists come to get water from him for experiments. :D Schmendrik did really well with this, and I hope Mr.noofficialnameyet does well too! (BTW I'm going to post an update for Schmendrik soon, with pics!)

I think those are just speckles of melanin from his fry colouring, they will likely fade, they did with my fry anyway. 
Will look forward to seeing how he turns out, a lovely yellow chu maybe :)

Yay! lol I kinda think he would be cutest without the black. :P

Love :wub and I totally agree Speckles is an awesome name! :banana

Lol of course you think it's an awesome name!!! :D

That's probably a good idea. I like his yellow though, so I hope that at least stays. XD

Snickets seems a fitting name - short for Lemony Snickets :)

OMGosh that is cute. *runs to tell fiance*

We prefer a ~10 gallon container for quarantine since medications often come in premeasured packets for 10 gallons.  It doesn't have to be an aquarium.  A plastic storage tote works well, particularly if it is shallow with a lot of surface area.

How much of the salt and prazi treatment have you completed for the original fish?

I am doing regular water changes, and dosing with an appropriate amount of salt. I am aware of the quarantine procedure article here at koko's, but I have been keeping fish for over ten years, and have never dosed without cause. I have had one fish die in the last 8 years, so I consider my methods pretty alright. XD Thanks for the concern though! I do appreciate it.

Edited by Anorea

There is a cause. All goldfish, whether symptomatic or not, have flukes.

There is a cause. All goldfish, whether symptomatic or not, have flukes.

I'm not saying Prazi is bad or anything, I just don't see the need to buy a bunch of prazi and douse my fish with it unless they are flashing, or lethargic, or anything else that seems odd. Of course if the fish was acting strange I would medicate, though. It seems to work for me to just do very regular water changes with stress coat and salt.

I guess I am confused by your comment. Is that your regular routine or a treatment plan?

" It seems to work for me to just do very regular water changes with stress coat and salt. "