Sign in to follow this  
Nathan

Interesting Behavior I Haven't Seen Before

I recently adopted a black moor and an oranda. I estimate them to be 2-3 years old. The first morning after I got them home, I found them lying next to one another in the bottom of the tank.

Concerned, I investigated, but when they saw me they popped right up and swam about normally. I looked closely for any signs of illness, found none, and decided to keep an eye on them.

This happened often, and I determined they were just sleeping. I chalked it up to the confines of the quarantine tank.

I've since moved them to my main aquarium. And they still sleep next to one another. The only explanation I can come up with is the poor things were previously kept in a 10 gallon, and have grown up being close to each other.

Has anyone seen or heard of cuddling goldfish?

My two orandas sleep on the bottom or hover mid tank together during nap time. It's quite cute.

My fish don't huddle close enough together to touch, but all three tend to settle down in close proximity to sleep.

Yes, i've seen it before. Goldfish, like any other animal, have different personalities from fish to fish, and group to group. Some like to cuddle when they sleep, some don't - sorta like people. :)

Thank you. I had no idea there were so many snuggling goldfish. None of my others do it.

I take that back. My other oranda has started resting with them.

Are they resting more than usual?

Welcome to the forum! I haven't seen snuggling goldfish, but it sounds very cute :)

Are they resting more than usual?

No, nothing out of the ordinary.

My guys often 'cuddle' when sleeping. They are quite social and I think a lot of them like been with each other at nap time

My fish like to snuggle up in a group when sleeping :)