Brine shrimp aka Sea Monkeys

FishPhin

I don't know why I thought this was a good idea. I guess I just thought it would be good for Phin to give him some live food instead of frozen stuff. 

So I bought brine shrimp eggs as it seemed the easiest to start with. I followed the instructions and now I have....BABY SEA MONKEYS. They are so cute swimming around all innocent with no clue they are/were intended food for a fish. 

Basically my concern is now instead of Phin having live food to hunt down, I have new pet sea monkeys. *sigh*

Good for you in growing the brine shrimp (aka sea monkeys) from eggs instead of buying them live. In the past I've bought brine shrimp live, fed them to my fish (so fun to watch the shrimp being hunted down), and introduce some sort of pathogen that made my fish sick. Not fun. Better to feed frozen brine shrimp or grow the like you did.

I grew red cherry shrimp for my orandas, but by the time I had enough cherry shrimps to feed the fish the wens on my orandas had grown so much they covered enough of their eyes that hunting cherry shrimps was out of the question. I now have the shrimps as pets and I give the surplus to my lfs.

That's why I really didn't want to hatch any baby brine shrimp for my platy fry, the are too cute and plus I used to have Sea Monkeys several times as a kid. I have a hard enough time feeding my fish some frozen Mysis Shrimp, looking at their two little black eyes, they look like goldfish fry. I just don't like to feed living things to other live things. :(

Oh we must have pics!! They sound so cute. I sm sorry you ended up with sea monkeys. Where did u get the shrimp eggs from?

Maybe I can get pics when they grow, but right now they are literally the cutest teensiest little specks swimming around. I don't know if my camera is good enough to capture something so small. I ordered the shrimp eggs off ebay. 

See! That says they can even be TRAINED!!! Oh my gosh how can I feed that to something else?! And they're "eager to please" implying they have thoughts and feelings. 

So I'm going to name one Henry...and one will be Louise...Timothy, Larry, Sailor, Carlos....

• Supporter

LOL I have to admit, when I hatched the Brine Shrimp for my goldie fry I felt bad feeding them to them. I'm just not good with the whole killing things thing :rofl Even little tiny things that you can barely see. I never had them as sea monkeys though :rofl I thought they were dumb :rofl