Sign in to follow this  
SharonR

my fish has red spots and red lines

We have been removing 30 - 40% of her water every day.  I don't know what else to add to the water.  We have never had this problem up until 3 weeks ago. 

My husband is going to do a water change this afternoon.  These are the numbers this morning, all were taken on an API stick.  GH-120, KH-80, PH-7.0, Nitrite-3, Nitrate-40 

That's a toxic level of nitrite.  Please do a large water change and add 1 tsp of salt per 10 gallons of water.  It won't remove the nitrite, but it will protect the fish from the effects of this toxin.  

The nitrate level is also high.  Since you are changing a lot of water, this indicates you should feed less.  

Shakaho, are the strip tests fairly accurate for parameters other than pH? :idont

It depends on the strips.  I think she said they were API strips.  The ones I tried had multicolored results, so I just tossed them.  The Tetra strips, which I used at first, were good.  I'd keep some around if they weren't so expensive.  I usually only test if something appears to be wrong, and it would be great to just dip a strip.  Then if something was off I could test that parameter more precisely.  

Okay, we only feed her once a day.  My husband did a huge water change, we will add the aquarium salt.  Just frustrating because we haven't had this problem before.  I appreciate all your help.  I do every suggestion you tell me too!

I'm sorry your fish isn't well! You're in good hands - even the best of us get filter bumps occasionally, or other things disrupting an otherwise balanced and established tank. Sometimes it is even variation in the city water supply, it just depends. Don't lose heart, just manage each variable as best you can, with the instructions given here :)

fantailfan1, we are doing that tomorrow!  What do I put in them?

thank you everyone for you help and support! 

Edited by SharonR

I just figured it out, I put the ceramic balls in the mesh bag and put that in my filter correct?  I watched the videos that lizam posted and am doing that tomorrow.

Okay, so I took out the charcoal in my filters and it did it like the videos that lizam posted.  I also put the ceramic rings in the filter that does not have the bio wheel.  My question is, should I put some of the ceramic rings behind the bio wheel, or does the bio wheel work like the ceramic rings?  right now, she is looking great and her ammonia is between 0-.25%.  We think part might have been the filter that came with the new tank.  It broke 2 days ago, we put in our older filter and her ammonia has been doing better, fingers crossed.

Thank you!!

Edited by SharonR

just shows I should have read the instructions first  :teehee, it says the 2nd slot is for another filter or other media device!  I will get more ceramic rings and put them there.

thank you! 

okay, thank you!!  before we do our next water change this week, I will give you those numbers so you can guide me.  We too are finding out more is better.

I thought I would give you all a final update, since you have been so helpful!!!  Our fish is healthy and doing wonderful!!  We had a friend of ours come over and see what else we could do for the ammonia.  He told us to give her a dose of erythromycin.  We mentioned that we had given her Maracyn 2 but nothing happened.  He asked if we removed the charcoal before we gave her the Maracyn 2, we said no, because we didn't know to do that!  Know that we have removed the charcoal, thanks to all of you, the erythromycin did the trick!  She has been clear of red spots for 2 weeks and her ammonia has been at 0!!

I can never thank you all enough for helping us!  I learned so much more about our fish, we learned how to take better care of her.  She is now healthy and happy!!  Thank you!!! :happydance