My Non Goldfish Pond

Hidr

Mollies and you can see one in one picture. They stay pretty deep cause of the heat.  But they are in there.  I know I lost one of the first ones I put in there during the heat wave.  But so far that is the only one I found floating.

The water stays green and the fish live off the algae that grows all over the tank.  So I never feed them. May have to this winter and got to figure out a way to protect the pond from the cold.  

No filter except the plants.

pond%20007_zpsfofl9j15.jpg

pond%20006_zpsrr6ksih4.jpg

pond%20004_zps2ganz93k.jpg

pond%20001_zpsoktbken0.jpg

I'm just throwing my 2 cents out there as of a way that you could probably protect them during the winter. I live in New England and the winters here are brutal. I once tried to grow a tiny garden in the winter so I built a small green house over my raised garden. I used pvc pipe and a thick clear plastic tarp. The pvc was bendable and I used it with some wing clamps and screwed that into the wood base of my garden. I then laid the plastic tarp over it keeping it tight over the pvc and laying cinder blocks on the remaining plastic on the ground. I was even able to go inside and check on the garden.  It kept my garden warm at good 70*F temp in the winter because the clear plastic was acting like a greenhouse. I guess this could work pending on how cold it gets in your area ;)

Something like this

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.Elj61S%2f1ZnDZFGYrRzwHAg&w=140&h=100&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2

Edited by Cdionne77

I'm just throwing my 2 cents out there as of a way that you could probably protect them during the winter. I live in New England and the winters here are brutal. I once tried to grow a tiny garden in the winter so I built a small green house over my raised garden. I used pvc pipe and a thick clear plastic tarp. The pvc was bendable and I used it with some wing clamps and screwed that into the wood base of my garden. I then laid the plastic tarp over it keeping it tight over the pvc and laying cinder blocks on the remaining plastic on the ground. I was even able to go inside and check on the garden.  It kept my garden warm at good 70*F temp in the winter because the clear plastic and the sun was acting like a greenhouse . I guess this could work pending on how cold it gets in your area ;)

Something like this that I found on the web

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.Elj61S%2f1ZnDZFGYrRzwHAg&w=140&h=100&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=raised+garden+mini+greenhouse+pvc+pipes&view=detailv2&&id=5396D00622DE2F594E472B990C55ABF5996D63AC&selectedIndex=0&ccid=goaFApxG&simid=607992229642045758&thid=JN.Z1vYIm5EdVtgsmFHA9A7kw&ajaxhist=0

I ordered this  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBB7G0I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

We have some nights that it gets below freezing.  But I think this well do the trick. We rarely get snow.  

Awesome, same idea so it should do the trick. One thing I had was one of those outside thermometers that had in indoor base so you see the temp at all times from inside the house. I had the thermometer in the greenhouse.  It was great for me especially when I didn't want to drag my butt out in the cold and snow to check on the temp   :rofl

Edited by Cdionne77